RJ's B2 Build | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RJ's B2 Build

I started building my second RBV, a Bronco ii.

This thread is to post about and document the work done to the car, so it can help others that are building a b2 or ranger based vehicle. This is actually my second build thread about this rig, the first one was accidentally deleted.

I picked up this 1990 bronco ii in august of 2016. It's an automatic, 4x4, Eddie Bauer edition, that was already spray painted green when I bought it. But it had what I wanted, cruise control, factory a/c, electric Windows and locks, (although none that stuff worked, it was there for the fixin') and it was a fair price for a b2 with decent interior..... Almost none of the other ones on Craigslist had a good interior, or they wanted way too much money.

wp_ss_20171206_0005.png

So why build another 4x4 when i already have a built up explorer/Navajo?
Well this one just has a different vision for it. I don't plan for this one to be big and crazy and an all out dedicated trail rig. At least not for a few years. I want this car to be capable off road, but retain as much road manners as possible. Almost more like an overlanding vehicle. I want to be able to drive it long distances, use it for camping and mountain biking, and for four wheeling, but not something that needs a trailer.

So I want to keep the lift to a minimum, keep things relatively simple. Put some 33's, trim the fenders, some lockers, and just keep fine tuning everything as I go along.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Photos look good to me. Good job:thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Had a little fender bender with the bronco :(

Bent the front bumper pretty good. Hard to see in the pics but it's pushed up and in pretty good. Even buckled the frame a little. It's pushed all the way that it's touching my headlight on the drivers side. Guess the bumper wasn't as tough as I thought.

IMG_20181205_090755.jpg

IMG_20181205_141433.jpg

IMG_20181205_090803.jpg

Imagine what the car would look like if you didn't have that bumper. Glad you got through it alright, bend it back and go wheelin'.

Edit: I was looking at your pictures and is the main bumper brackets held on by a single bolt? If so, it was wasn't that the bumper wasn't strong enough, it pivoted on the single bolt. When you bend it back straight, plate the frame mount back to that first body mount and put in another bolt.

What's the other guy look like:p

Looks like it's just the frame bracket...I still have your old one if you want to try and use it...

Imagine what the car would look like if you didn't have that bumper. Glad you got through it alright, bend it back and go wheelin'.

Edit: I was looking at your pictures and is the main bumper brackets held on by a single bolt? If so, it was wasn't that the bumper wasn't strong enough, it pivoted on the single bolt. When you bend it back straight, plate the frame mount back to that first body mount and put in another bolt.

The bracket also runs under the frame and there's two bolts under there.

It bent up the whole horn piece and the frame.
I've never been a fan of the one bolt, but never sure what to do with it without welding on more material.

Dang!! good thing you had that bumper!!

I was rear ended by a Mitubishi Galant one morning in my BII.....he went so far under my truck my back tires were off the ground. My James Duff rear tube bumper was up on his hood about mid way. He backed out from under me, we both pulled over. I saw a scratch on my gas tank skid plate and a mark on my bumper and said have a nice day! His moms car was FUBAR....maybe he learned to allow more distance that day.

Your BII can be back up and going in no time.... now you know how to make it even stronger second time around!!

Got the Bronco dirty today

Screenshot_20181215-173004.png

Screenshot_20181215-172252.png

Screenshot_20181215-172159.png

Screenshot_20181215-191315.png

Screenshot_20181215-191558.png

Well I don't see a Flatbed tow truck this time, so I guess it was a good time:thumbsup:

I don't have a spare car so I have to keep it together. Can't go too crazy. Just enough to have fun :D

Well I don't see a Flatbed tow truck this time, so I guess it was a good time:thumbsup:

I seem to have had those pictures the last two times I went on long distance campout type off-road trips. Need to break the cycle on the next Mojave Road trip.

I seem to have had those pictures the last two times I went on long distance campout type off-road trips. Need to break the cycle on the next Mojave Road trip.

I may be interested in that trip in the future. Thinking of setting up my new ranger (when I get it) for overland.

I may be interested in that trip in the future. Thinking of setting up my new ranger (when I get it) for overland.

Take the f250 with the camper. It'll make it.

Take the f250 with the camper. It'll make it.

The f250 yes, but not with the camper on it. It's just to much weight rolling around up there. Good dirt roads are about it's limit, unless I want a destroyed camper. It's weights 10k together.

The f250 yes, but not with the camper on it. It's just to much weight rolling around up there. Good dirt roads are about it's limit, unless I want a destroyed camper. It's weights 10k together.
That, and a lot of desert pinstriping.

Ever since truckhaven the car has been wondering pretty bad on the road. Looks like I need a new steering box.

@410Fortune i think I'm gonna go your way with a redhead box

That's not supposed to do that...

2D4C6D09-8431-4C08-A91C-77130AA63344.jpeg

Back