2001 Explorer Headlight Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Headlight Help

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN for now...or forever
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 EB
So I have searched and have come up more confused and tired...

I need more light on the road, I still have the original headlights. I found the thread to keep the fogs on with the high beams through modifying the relay which I will do.

In addition I have other options, but I will not be installing Morimoto HID's.
I need closer to plug and play.

Like this;
https://www.amazon.com/Right-Headli...automotive&vehicleId=2&vehicleType=automotive

Or this;
https://www.amazon.com/USA-111040-E...r=8-14&keywords=2001+ford+explorer+headlights

Or this;
https://www.amazon.com/USA-111133-E...3&keywords=Anzo+2001+ford+explorer+headlights

So, my question is which one will give me the most useable light on the road?
The factory style replacement (Fluted lenses?), the crystal style clear lenses, or the projector?

I will use the Phillips extreme vision bulbs, not LED or HID, unless someone here can testify to using something that provides a noticeable increase.

Has anyone here used any of these and been very unhappy?
Extremely happy?
So so...???

Lastly, not sure if this is in the right place so I will also post in the Gen II modified forum and the Gen II Stock forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As always, any and all comments are appreciated!!

Anything, Has any body compared ANY of these lights with any opinions?

Bad on me for posting in multiple area's, I didn't know it was illegal, but I was looking for traffic, and this particular forum seems to have ...none?

I can move it if you tell me which section you want it in.

I can move it if you tell me which section you want it in.

Any idea which one will have more traffic?
Modified or stock?
Modified I guess...It will be a "modification".

Just looking for some input is all.

to start, never use hid's with a stock lens, or even the diamond cut style lens. it will blind others and the pattern will end up pencil beam (i know, i did it at one time). now i have heard, but could be wrong, stock lens with led's in them work very well. but i cant say for sure, because i dont have them. projectors with hid's are great, but also have a drawback in some cases. the draw back is the cut off line. meaning you have very good lighting up until the break off point of the projector. after the cut off line, its pure darkness depending on the projector. if you can afford to spend some time, you can retro fit a quality projector into the diamond cut lens, and have plenty of light (i did this with mine using a bmw m3 projector and never have had to use high beams), or you can get someone to do the retro fit for you, but it will cost you. you can try a site called hid planet (https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/) or the retrofit source (The Retrofit Source | The Best HID & LED Projector Headlight Upgrades) and there should be lots of info on there for you

Whatever you do, keep it legal. Make sure other oncoming drivers can still see also.

Pretty sure modifying a headlight is not DOT compliant.

edit. I would suggest some real good led light pods in your fog light area, or, a light bar which can be turned off when you see oncoming traffic. This way you look normal to them.

edit. I would suggest some real good led light pods in your fog light area, or, a light bar which can be turned off when you see oncoming traffic. This way you look normal to them.

I would also recommend using some decent LED lights. I have the rectangular fog lights on my 96, but I mounted a 4-inch 8-LED Rigid Industries spot pattern in place of the driver side one. I replaced my OEM headlights with new OEM headlights and use Philips Xtreme Power bulbs. That single LED light shoots farther than my high beams. I just wanted some added night driving distance to help spot deer. When I have it on, and turn it off after driving a bit, the Philips bulbs look like old dim yellow sealed beam headlights.

Here are the specs of the Rigid Industries 104212 unit I have:

Specifications: Watts: 30, Ampere Draw: 2.17, LED's: 8, Raw Lumens: 3000, Lux at 10m: 1111.0, Beam Distance: 666.6m, Peak Beam Intensity: 11,000 cd.

No matter what lenses you get your still limited to the output of the factory bulbs. Which suck. Just add some small LED light bars to the bumper. Keep them aimed so they don't blind others. Have you tried to aim the lights you have? You may be able to just aim them a bit better to see more. I bought new OEM replacement lenses & used the Sylvania silver star bulbs & added a LED light bar.

No matter what lenses you get your still limited to the output of the factory bulbs. Which suck. Just add some small LED light bars to the bumper. Keep them aimed so they don't blind others. Have you tried to aim the lights you have? You may be able to just aim them a bit better to see more. I bought new OEM replacement lenses & used the Sylvania silver star bulbs & added a LED light bar.

Yes, factory originals are aimed fine, They are just ate up with ultraviolet hazing.

to start, never use hid's with a stock lens, or even the diamond cut style lens. it will blind others and the pattern will end up pencil beam (i know, i did it at one time). now i have heard, but could be wrong, stock lens with led's in them work very well. but i cant say for sure, because i dont have them. projectors with hid's are great, but also have a drawback in some cases. the draw back is the cut off line. meaning you have very good lighting up until the break off point of the projector. after the cut off line, its pure darkness depending on the projector. if you can afford to spend some time, you can retro fit a quality projector into the diamond cut lens, and have plenty of light (i did this with mine using a bmw m3 projector and never have had to use high beams), or you can get someone to do the retro fit for you, but it will cost you. you can try a site called hid planet (https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/) or the retrofit source (The Retrofit Source | The Best HID & LED Projector Headlight Upgrades) and there should be lots of info on there for you

Yes, I was planning on new Phillips X-TremeVision Halogens in a factory style replacement or Diamond cut replacement.
If anybody had good lock with the plug and play projectors from Anzo or Spyder I was hoping to get opinions. And if the high and low beam could be wired so both are on for high beams.
A complete HID retrofit is probably not going to happen.
An additional driving light may be though.

The light pattern of the OE headlights is pretty good, nice even coverage, not spotty, but I have noticed how much more light there seems to be with the driving lights on. Not light that reaches very far but it gives the impression of lots more light. Very weak looking with them off.

Mine are also lightly oxidized yellow, I was planning to use some polishing compound to clean them up or even replace them if the insides were deteriorating. The diamond cut reflectors with clear lenses look more modern and cleaner and can even produce good light patterns if done well but it's kinda hit and miss with aftermarket stuff.

The light pattern of the OE headlights is pretty good, nice even coverage, not spotty, but I have noticed how much more light there seems to be with the driving lights on. Not light that reaches very far but it gives the impression of lots more light. Very weak looking with them off.

Mine are also lightly oxidized yellow, I was planning to use some polishing compound to clean them up or even replace them if the insides were deteriorating. The diamond cut reflectors with clear lenses look more modern and cleaner and can even produce good light patterns if done well but it's kinda hit and miss with aftermarket stuff.

Yeah, that's what I was looking for was opinions of anyone who had used them, any of them, brand specific before I purchase.
If anyone could recommend a brand that does have good light pattern or recommend against one that they have tried, or know someone who has.

We had these... And HATED them! Halogen or LED didn't matter. Weird pattern and hotspot which made us leery of driving at night. We ended up going back to the OEM style and couldn't be happier. Pain in the butt swapping them out but glad we did. Currently running Philips 9007 X-treme Vision halogen bulbs. Maybe once winter has passed we'll try the LEDs again.

Team TARDIS

Screen Shot 12-24-18 at 04.16 AM.PNG

We had these... And HATED them!

I agree. I bought the Anzo lights just over a year ago and I'm extremely disappointed. Light pattern was garbage and the adjusters broke in half the second I tried to adjust the housings... Resulting in light that aimed down just ahead of the vehicle. Unfortunately I could not get a refund and had to settle for replacement. :banghead:

I've tried aftermarket bulbs in multiple vehicles ("HID", xenon-whatever, LED) and I've always been disappointed in the results. While the stock headlights aren't the brightest, I find their soft cutoff to actually be really nice as opposed to the newer HID lamps that have a sharp cutoff.

Keeping the fogs on during driving aren't going to help, they illuminate right in front of the vehicle, they are not designed to throw light downrange. If they are working as intended they will actually make downstream visibility worse since they make your field of view brighter, but not in the places you want to be brighter for road driving. They are supposed to be used without headlights at extremely low speeds where fog is intense so the edges of the road can be seen, when regular headlights are ineffective due to fog. I suppose you could do as others have suggested and replace the stock fogs with an aftermarket LED housing but I've been blinded so many times by others driving with LED bars on that I have a hard time recommending that.

IMO your best bet is keeping it simple with new OE housings and some high-efficiency halogens.

I've tried aftermarket bulbs in multiple vehicles ("HID", xenon-whatever, LED) and I've always been disappointed in the results. While the stock headlights aren't the brightest, I find their soft cutoff to actually be really nice as opposed to the newer HID lamps that have a sharp cutoff.

Keeping the fogs on during driving aren't going to help, they illuminate right in front of the vehicle, they are not designed to throw light downrange. If they are working as intended they will actually make downstream visibility worse since they make your field of view brighter, but not in the places you want to be brighter for road driving. They are supposed to be used without headlights at extremely low speeds where fog is intense so the edges of the road can be seen, when regular headlights are ineffective due to fog. I suppose you could do as others have suggested and replace the stock fogs with an aftermarket LED housing but I've been blinded so many times by others driving with LED bars on that I have a hard time recommending that.

IMO your best bet is keeping it simple with new OE housings and some high-efficiency halogens.

Good info, thanks.

I am definitely not in the LED camp, hate them for their color temp and glare.
So it looks like most are saying go with factory replacement and high quality bulbs.
I will then either do a fog light relay mod, or add some (halogen) aftermarket driving lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

masospaghetti said: "While the stock headlights aren't the brightest, I find their soft cutoff to actually be really nice as opposed to the newer HID lamps that have a sharp cutoff."

BIG Plus One!!! Even with LEDs the sudden difference in contrast makes the darker areas look black against the purer white. The eyes can't adjust that quickly.

One other mod was a headlight harness with relays to give more voltage to the bulbs. I don't remember the brand but we paid too much!

Team TARDIS

Back