Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

NO, it is NOT a recall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s not a recall.

Wait. So is it a recall or not? I can't imagine a dealer would not do the work if it is requested by the customer if there is a TSB, however if it is not an official recall (bring every car in made between two dates), the dealer will not be servicing every explorer that comes in without being asked by the customer.

I'm going to request this to be done and I'll let the board know the outcome.

It's a "Field Service Action Items".
At any case, it will come up as an "outstanding" item when the service department pulls up your VIN#.

Ok. Thanks all.

I have to ask. This is my first explorer (2016), and based on my research, this problem has been around since 2011? Has it been same design flaw, and if so,why has Ford declined to address it before the vehicle is built? If it is not the same flaw, why is the explorer prone to cabin exhaust fumes?

I wonder how many folks smell this and assume it is just another vehicle near them and ignore it? After repeated headaches and nausea, the lightbulb finally went on.

Even though it’s not a recall, it’s still very expensive for them. It was cheaper to ignore it until it got enough press to be an issue.

D98A654E-F804-4E6C-BDF8-4A1DF54965D4.jpeg
8B13130D-B3C8-4AAA-BACC-5AC0FBC738DD.jpeg
I took my Explorer in for the 17N03 repair this past summer. I was having no exhaust smells in the car at all but my wife and some friends were very concerened. It took less than three hours. They did make a mess with the glue on the tailgate seal but it was easy to clean up. Here is some photos of the paper work it shows everything they did and the cost.

1CC0E739-97BC-4763-867D-F46DF2599639.jpeg

Since you can’t smell carbon monoxide I brought this auto carbon monoxide detector for some peace of mind.
A5D52B73-F487-4841-A077-507790EC1DF7.jpeg

View attachment 165579 View attachment 165578 I took my Explorer in for the 17N03 repair this past summer. I was having no exhaust smells in the car at all but my wife and some friends were very concerened. It took less than three hours. They did make a mess with the glue on the tailgate seal but it was easy to clean up. Here is some photos of the paper work it shows everything they did and the cost.

View attachment 165580

The cost should have been zero, to you anyway. If you had it done at a Ford dealership, they ripped you off. Report them to Ford Corporate and ask for a refund.

If this was an independent shop, Ford will refund you what it cost to do.

On a slightly separate note, I bought my Explorer used a few months ago and it did have 17N03 in its Carfax. I had assurances from the dealer I bought it from that this issue was for Police Interceptors only (because of aftermarket installs) and that this vehicle wouldn't have such issues at all and it had been sorted.

After I bought it, I got a CO detector as well, and unsurprisingly it registered CO in the cabin, so I had it fixed at a different dealer (they were more than happy to get it done and dusted).

Is it worth calling Ford Corporate about the first dealer or should I just leave it be?

Thanks in advance!

The cost should have been zero, to you anyway. If you had it done at a Ford dealership, they ripped you off. Report them to Ford Corporate and ask for a refund.

If I read that invoice correctly, there was no charge to the customer. It was covered under warranty.

Peter

If I read that invoice correctly, there was no charge to the customer. It was covered under warranty.

Peter

You did, I have never seen a warranty invoice have any char listed on it before but it does show the charge and then FAC (whatever FAC means) warranty for the same amount netting $0.

Peter

Oh my apologies, thank you. Clearly my reading comprehension is lacking today.

Thanks, but it did not cost me anything but a little time. So far my Carbon Monoxide detector has not detected any Carbon Monoxide in my vehicle. As far as contacting Ford Corporate it can’t hurt trying.

Looking to get a 2013 Limited 3.5, or a 2012 Highlander Limited. I was leaning towards the Explorer but this exhaust leak has me worried, but I cant find if it affects the 2013 or if its newer ones only?
TIA

Looking to get a 2013 Limited 3.5, or a 2012 Highlander Limited. I was leaning towards the Explorer but this exhaust leak has me worried, but I cant find if it affects the 2013 or if its newer ones only?
TIA
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
It potentially affects ALL 5th generation Explorers but not everyone has the issue. I had a 2011 Limited and now a 2017 Platinum and have not noticed this problem.
FYI, there are also several other issues you should be aware of as well. I suggest you browse the threads in this "Discussion" subforum.

Peter

It potentially affects ALL 5th generation Explorers
I thought it was only Explorers from 2011 Job 1 to 2017 Job Last manufactured in Chicago? Or did it turn out to be a design flaw in the 5th gens?

I thought it was only Explorers from 2011 Job 1 to 2017 Job Last manufactured in Chicago? Or did it turn out to be a design flaw in the 5th gens?
The notice came out in Oct. 2017 which was before the 2018+ came out. That is why I mentioned "potentially".

Peter

Had the same thing done - not smelling exhaust in cabin now, guess it works, I was pissed that Ford dealer took 3 days for this 1 hr fix and did not even offer a loaner vehicle.

Had the same thing done - not smelling exhaust in cabin now, guess it works, I was pissed that Ford dealer took 3 days for this 1 hr fix and did not even offer a loaner vehicle.

Ford assigned 2 hours of labour for this program, in addition to specifically noting that this was urgent and took priority over inventory (which I've been told is unrealistic), in their note to dealers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you have an appt or just dropped it off? Most dealers are booked 3-5 out so that would make sense unless your appt was on a tuesday and didnt get it back till friday (as an example).

Ford does not give out loaners unless you have an ESP. Some dealers do as part of their business model but it is not the norm.

Back