1998 4 door Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 4 door Explorer

down here these things are relatively rust free, and cheap... this one has been listed for around a month, think everyone is scared of 200k+ vehicles...
2000 Ford explorer xlt 4x4 today only

Almost missed your post.
That truck listed looks just like my explorer. I like it.
I would need to see pictures of all the right areas before I would even consider going to see it in person or buying it and having it shipped here.
The rocker panels are number1 but I would have to ask to see pictures of the whole underbody.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Judging by the thread, my 01 Eddie Bauer V8 swap I'm still working on (busy time of year) being spotless underneath is something of a miracle. My white car isn't quite so good under there, when I did the transmission it had random flakes falling off.

Mileage Update

IMG_2016.JPG

295,000 miles.
Only 5,000 to go to hit 300,000.

I just had an intermittent ABS light this week.
The code is a C1155 which is for a L/F wheel speed sensor.
Bad connection or wire maybe.
I will do a visual inspection when the weather dries out. It supposed to rain for the next week or so here.

(EDIT) I unplugged the sensor and plugged it back in again and have not had a problem since.

Well, the temperature is dropping around here now and we had 3-5 inches of snow in the area. I am thankful that most of it melted away the next day.
With wintertime right around the corner I just had to get 4 new tires, brakes, and 4 rotors.
I don't want to have to do this work in freezing temps so today was the day for the brakes.
Tires will be done when I get the chance to use the tire machine at work in the next few weeks.

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2745.JPG

Almost at my goal of 300,000.

IMG_2739.JPG

I fixed a few other things today while I was doing the brakes.
One rear hatch glass hinge was stripped out where it bolted to the rear hatch, I drilled a hole through it and installed a bolt and nut.

The door latch connects to a post on the B pillar, the post has a plastic sleeve on it that cracks and breaks.
I replaced both posts on the drivers side.

The blower fan stopped working on the two lowest settings, I have already replaced the blower fan resistor a couple years ago.
This time I unplugged it and looked at it and found no problem, plugged it back in and it works. Probably going to stop working again when I least expect it.

After checking all the fluids I added trans fluid. Then I saw an oil spot under the truck and found the trans dipstick tube rotted through again.
The one I picked up for my 2001 Ranger(that didn't fit it) happened to be the exact one for my 1998 Explorer, so I installed it.
Lets see if it makes it through the winter now.

Good work, keep fighting the elements.

I'm going to have to do something similar for my rear hatch. I tightened the nuts when I bought the truck, but the hatch soon again began to move to the right. They are a little loose again, and I didn't want to risk breaking them when I tightened them the first time.

It Made it to 300,000 miles!!!!!

IMG_2758.JPG

Nope, the rust is slowly killing it.
Passenger side rocker is getting worse and over both rear wheel wells is bubling up.
Maybe next year I can find a replacement for it.

Glad to see someone maintain their cars so they reach high mileage, at similar quest my self (150k+ now), You seem like the kind of person who doesn't fear to work with their cars so why not buy el cheapo MIG welder with flux wire and some sheet metal and replace that rust with something new that can rust later ;).

"Something new that can rust later" hahahahaha
That's funny
My garage doesn't have the electricity to support a good welder.
I never learned to weld, yet.
Think I can find a low mileage (130,000) explorer with no rust somewhere?

Even if I get rid of it I plan to take the engine and transmission out so they will live on.
Gonna try to keep it going through the winter to keep rust off the other vehicles I have. We will see what next year brings.

I repaired the rusted out rocker panels on my wife's 99 Sport right after we purchased it. I purchased the rocker panel patch pieces & cut out what I needed, cut out the rusted metal & welded the patch pieces in & used rattle can paint to match the color. These are the ones I used, https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3496413&cc=1354542&jsn=12

I put 4 new tires on this truck to get me through the winter, Maybe next year I can find a rust free replacement.
Over 300,000 miles and still going, This truck don't owe me a thing.

I put 4 new tires on this truck to get me through the winter, Maybe next year I can find a rust free replacement.
Over 300,000 miles and still going, This truck don't owe me a thing.

If you still need one next Fall, we'll hunt around and find you one down here.

That would make a cool road trip for me!!!! LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would make a cool road trip for me!!!! LOL
Yes, with some patience we can find you one that you just spend the day and a lot of gas coming after. Maybe we'll find you a 302 truck and you'll have another one you want to save(swap bodies etc).

Truly though, decide on what you'd rather find for a donor. I chose the 98 Explorer to not have to deal with the big wide flares that 99-01's have on most trucks. The ones without flares have no holes in the fenders to deal with rust there.

Back