Is there a list of what models/year vehicles are compatible with third gen explorers wheels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a list of what models/year vehicles are compatible with third gen explorers wheels?

As the title says, I have a third gen Ex, but was wanting to know if there are newer OEM wheels that are direct fitments for the 3rd gen Exs. Example being specific years of the Ford Edge, Flex, or even newer 5th gen Exs?
I know there are some mustang wheels that are direct swap, and probably 4th gen Exs.
I am looking for 18' through 20' wheels for my Ex.

With funds being limited, I was wanting to know which years/models to keep an eye out for, either at junkyards, or my local tire shop which the owner would be willing to let me know if any come through his shop for wheel upgrades.

Thanks in advance, Jim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Being a Ford guy and an ex mechanic, all explorers up to the 2019's use the ford standard 5 x 4.5" lug pattern with 1/2"-20 right hand threads. All mustangs from 94 to present use the same pattern, the first gen fusion/milan/MKZ up to 2012 use it, the first gen escape and its merc twin/ mazda twin up to 2012, all ranger trucks except the new one (don't know if they changed it on the 19) The eighties lincoln MK7, the first gen ford edge/MKX up to 2014 and the 09 to present taurus all have that pattern.

Stay away from the 89-97 t-bird/cougar/MK8, the 2012 to present focus, the 13-up escape/MKC, the 13-up fusion/MKZ, the 15-up edge/MKX and the early jelly bean looking taurus they all have the smaller 5 x 4.25" lug pattern and the wheels will not fit.

Being a Ford guy and an ex mechanic, all explorers up to the 2019's use the ford standard 5 x 4.5" lug pattern with 1/2"-20 right hand threads. All mustangs from 94 to present use the same pattern, the first gen fusion/milan/MKZ up to 2012 use it, the first gen escape and its merc twin/ mazda twin up to 2012, all ranger trucks except the new one (don't know if they changed it on the 19) The eighties lincoln MK7, the first gen ford edge/MKX up to 2014 and the 09 to present taurus all have that pattern.

Stay away from the 89-97 t-bird/cougar/MK8, the 2012 to present focus, the 13-up escape/MKC, the 13-up fusion/MKZ, the 15-up edge/MKX and the early jelly bean looking taurus they all have the smaller 5 x 4.25" lug pattern and the wheels will not fit.
While the lug patteren may be the same, is the backspacing/offset all the same across those wheels? The 3rd Gen OEM +44 offset wheels are very close to the spindles, any more positive and there may be rub.

The newer mustang wheels may have to much offset, but you should be able to run the pre 2005 mustang wheels with no issues. Every wheel design has their own offset and there are way too many factory wheels to list. For the most part you might be better off with 18's or 20's from a 5 gen explorer.

The newer mustang wheels may have to much offset, but you should be able to run the pre 2005 mustang wheels with no issues. Every wheel design has their own offset and there are way too many factory wheels to list. For the most part you might be better off with 18's or 20's from a 5 gen explorer.
It’s not really the wheel design that determines the OEM wheel offset, it’s the axle/hub design. The wheel offset is to place the vehicle’s weight in the proper spot in relation to the wheel hub bearing.

Of course all that goes out the window on custom wheels.

I understand all that, but with the 05-up mustang wheels they are much wider and and have an offset that probably is not compatible with his explorer. Some of the new mustang OEM wheels are 11" wide.

I understand all that, but with the 05-up mustang wheels they are much wider and and have an offset that probably is not compatible with his explorer. Some of the new mustang OEM wheels are 11" wide.
Those are some wide wheels, must look great on the Mustangs.

Being a Ford guy and an ex mechanic, all explorers up to the 2019's use the ford standard 5 x 4.5" lug pattern with 1/2"-20 right hand threads...... .

Are the offsets all the same for all Explorers up to 2019? I thought I saw an offset chart here on the forum somewhere.

On the Performance Pack level 2 they come with 19 x 10.5" in the front with 305/30/19's and 19 x 11" rear with the same 305/30/19's. My 17 convertible has 19 x 9.5"s rear and 275/40/19's from the factory.

There are so many different factory wheels available that it would be impracticable to know the offsets of them all. But I can tell you this, on the F150's from 2004 -up all the factory 20" wheels are 8.5" wide and have the same backspacing and same offset no matter what the wheel looks like. It would be a good bet that the 2011-2019 explorer 20's are the same way. Try looking on Detroit Wheel and Tire and punch in 2011 up explorers and just take a look at what's available. And they have the B.S. and offset listed for most wheels. Also when they list the lug pattern it's usually in metric. The metric conversion for the 4.5" pattern the explores have is 113.4mm.

I did check that website, there is no specific info on backspacing.

I did notice some OEM Explorer wheels that were listed for 2002-2010 models, I’m pretty sure the center bore is smaller on the 2011 and newer Explorer wheels and those would not be compatible with the OP’s 3rd Generation.

So back to the OP’s question...... I think that most OEM Explorer wheels from 2002-2010 would fit the 3rd Generation Explorer. Outside of those years I think there would be offset and center bore issues.

I did notice some OEM Explorer wheels that were listed for 2002-2010 models, I’m pretty sure the center bore is smaller on the 2011 and newer Explorer wheels and those would not be compatible with the OP’s 3rd Generation.
I think that most OEM Explorer wheels from 2002-2010 would fit the 3rd Generation Explorer.

You could always have the center bore opened up if it's too small. I just checked the site and it looks like the EX's use a 70.5 mm hub bore size up to 2010 and the 11+ uses a 63.4 mm. On a side note, the 15+ mustangs also use a 70.5 mm bore, and I've seen 13 gt500 wheels on a 16 mustang so the 05-14 mustangs must be at least 70.5 mm also. So the op could use a 05+ mustang wheel if the backspacing and offset will work with his application.

the 3rd gen and 4th gen are virtually identical, same body. Ford called the 06-10's the 4th gen because of a new lightweight high strength steel frame, a refreshed front end and interior, along with a new updated V8 engine. So unless certain models had bigger brakes then ANY factory wheel from 02-10 will fit his.

Thanks for all the replies guys, Yes Dom hit the nail on the head, it's the center bore that is the largest issue. 11+ all have the smaller bore for the hubs.
The backspacing, for my intents and purposes, I need more positive offset. I need to move the wheel outboard. Stock is just too close the the uniball UCAs.
I would like 18'' to gain clearance on the rear toe links. There were supposedly some models in 06-10 that shipped with 18'' wheels but they seem to be unicorns.
I am contemplating going aftermarket, but finding the correct center bore, and I am not sure on backspacing confidently.

Any recommendations for aftermarket wheel online stores?

Edit: I know stock is +44 offset or 4.5'' backspacing, so if i went to a more negative offset, like say +35 the wheel would move further out from the UCAs. Correct?
Also taking into consideration if the wheel being looked at is wider than stock, I would need to compensate for that as well? Correct.

Back