2020 Explorer | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

Lol Ford is trying to cheapen the Explorer in design so the Aviator has a reason to sell to people who want a luxury car. What a joke. I really hate the front look. It looks like a bug.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol Ford is trying to cheapen the Explorer in design so the Aviator has a reason to sell to people who want a luxury car. What a joke. I really hate the front look. It looks like a bug.

As we say in Minnesota, could be worse, and if you wait long enough, it WILL be.

Does this change the engine mounting position and have the water pump mounted externally?

The one thing I do love that annoys the hell out of me on the current gen is the lack of control of physical HVAC controls. Like changing where the air comes from. Floor, front, both, etc. I hate that. There's physical controls in the back for the rear but not up front . I also see they added in a physical button for heated steering wheel. Good fix.

anyone notice how much air is visible under the 6th gen-compared to 1st gen? This shot says a lot.

6_car_explorer_c1-cropped.jpg

Taken from this link above

Ford Explorer - 2018

anyone notice how much air is visible under the 6th gen-compared to 1st gen? This shot says a lot.

Wow...look how much wider the 6th gen is!

........I just don't like that the towing hitch is exposed no cover. i guess they will cover it on the 2021. .......
I believe the 5th gen Explorers were the only ones with a covered hitch. So if the 6th gen is starting off without a cover, I'm guessing it will remain that way.
Much easier for most owners to get at it.

Peter

I happen to like the rotary dial shifter. We have this in our car.
These days there is no linkage anyway, just a cable moving a range sensor, so the lack of a handle sticking up makes sense, and actually eliminates some moving parts. Just put the range sensor in the console and done.

A shift lever sticking up becomes a hazard in a crash also.

I happen to like the rotary dial shifter. We have this in our car.
These days there is no linkage anyway, just a cable moving a range sensor, so the lack of a handle sticking up makes sense, and actually eliminates some moving parts. Just put the range sensor in the console and done.

A shift lever sticking up becomes a hazard in a crash also.
I'm one that is going to really miss the stick shifter. I find that I'm usually resting my right hand on it. I may have to start carrying a tall water bottle in the cup holder.:D

Peter

I for one think the new one has taken a step backwards aesthetically. And smacking tablets in the middle is a poor choice. The front looks like a Ford Edge, although the grille is taking cues from Audi.

I'm one that is going to really miss the stick shifter. I find that I'm usually resting my right hand on it. I may have to start carrying a tall water bottle in the cup holder.:D

Peter

Shouldnt bother you that much with all of the 4,000 miles you drive a year lol.

Both are 328 pixels wide, so the same. Optical illusion.

I love pixel counting...have done that many times over the years in absence of available information. But, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer:

1st Gen Width: 70.2 in
2nd Gen Width: 70.2 in
3rd Gen Width: 72.1 in
4th Gen Width: 73.7 in
5th Gen Width: 78.9 in
6th Gen Width: 78.9 in

You are correct same as 5th gen, but certainly wider than past, like my 2002!

I am a boat owner that owns a ‘12 expedition. I like the idea of downsizing to a Explorer.... is the 3.0 only going to be available on platinum? I’d like to test tow with new motor.

2000 lb boat likely 3500 including trailer and gear... so I don’t think a 2.3 would cut it without shifting continuously

A little better explanation from Bill Gubing, Chief Engineer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am a boat owner that owns a ‘12 expedition. I like the idea of downsizing to a Explorer.... is the 3.0 only going to be available on platinum? I’d like to test tow with new motor.

2000 lb boat likely 3500 including trailer and gear... so I don’t think a 2.3 would cut it without shifting continuously
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
the 2.3L Ecoboost is standard on all trims except the Platinum which has the 3.0L. I don't know if the 3.0L will be offered as an option on some of the other trims. In any case, the towing capacity with the factory class III package is 5600 lbs for the 365 HP 3.5Land the 300 HP 2.3L is 5300 lbs.

Peter

Back