No Crank When Cold

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
So, I've got a problem. Literally what the title states. I'll go out when it's below 40 degrees, switch the truck on, go to crank it up, and it won't crank, aka, it won't turn over to start. Sometimes, if you wait a minute or two or three, it'll crank. Sometimes holding it to the start position will crank it, and sometimes it'll crank after the second attempt. It's only a colder weather problem though, it did it a time or two last winter, and then when it got warm, it quit it. It's been problem free all summer, through several thousand miles, until today. It did it today, I tried four or five times, nothing, then held it and boom after a few seconds it started cranking.

Any clues? Other issues I've had that either disappeared were, I had the battery go dead for no reason a few weeks ago, I also have the radio occasionally not turn on for 15-20 minutes of driving, and then it'll come on all by itself. I don't think it's a starter but opinions are welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pry not the issue, but check your battery terminals, and the wire inside the terminal itself, for corrosion.

I’d first suspect the ignition switch. I’d check if the starter control circuit (Coil) is energized when it doesn’t turn over.

I was gonna say pull the ignition switch and manually operate it

Sticking starter relay wait until it is happening jumper the relay coils do funny things when hot or cold

Sticking relay sounds like a fair chance of being my problem, considering I got this truck for $200 over a bad fuel pump relay. I did notice that this morning, you can hear two clicks when the issue is present and you turn the key to start, which rules out the ignition switch IMO. This morning simply holding it got it to crank, I didn't hear anything else engage, it simply started cranking after 5ish seconds, and then it'd start all day.

Update, we got warm again, and it quit THE ISSUE of course. Then, we got cold again, so I cleaned the battery cables, and that's not it. I did narrow it down to either, it's the ignition switch, it something in the shifter, or it's the starter itself.

I had a morning where it wouldn't work for ANYTHING, I bumped the shifter and it cranked, I don't think it's out of line since it goes in reverse and the lights come on fine, the indicator lines up too and nothing has ever been adjusted by me. Otherwise it's either starter or ignition switch. Might try switch first since the radio occasionally, also on temperature, decides to not power up immediately but wait 15-20 minutes.

Update, we got warm again, and it quit THE ISSUE of course. Then, we got cold again, so I cleaned the battery cables, and that's not it. I did narrow it down to either, it's the ignition switch, it something in the shifter, or it's the starter itself.

I had a morning where it wouldn't work for ANYTHING, I bumped the shifter and it cranked, I don't think it's out of line since it goes in reverse and the lights come on fine, the indicator lines up too and nothing has ever been adjusted by me. Otherwise it's either starter or ignition switch. Might try switch first since the radio occasionally, also on temperature, decides to not power up immediately but wait 15-20 minutes.
@RandomNerd2000
Transmission Range Switch, operated by a long cable, maladjusted or slightly loose, cable contracts when very cold, changes switch position just enough to break neutral start circuit. (Wouldn't bet on it, but would check if it were my own headache). imp

Will do, I don't recall if this truck did this with the transmission that used to be in it, didn't drive it long enough to know really. I'll check that though for sure.

RandomNerd2000,

Here's an Old School diagnosis that will help "get you in the ballpark."

With the battery fully charged, turn the headlights on.

Get someone to crank over the key while you're standing in front of your Ex, looking at the headlights.

If the headlights dim while the key is turned, you are getting juice all the way to the starter solenoid.

If the headlights do not dim, you have a short/open circuit/bad relay somewhere.

Hope that helps & Happy New Year!

PS - If no one else is available to assist you - pull your Ex into a dimly lit area or garage, point it at a dark wall, then perform the test as described from inside the cab while watching your headlight strength emitted on the wall.

If you don't know how old the starter is, I'd replace that if the battery cables are checked and good.

I just had a starting issue a few days ago. One day it started hard two times, middle of the day and then to go home after work. The next day the 3rd time I tried to start it, nothing. I was at a customer's house, and they were home. I borrowed a hammer and tapped on the starter. Then it started, and I didn't shut if off for 4.5 hours. It started when I was leaving work, and I swapped the starter the next day. I think I wore out the solenoid, after about 20 months and maybe 10,000 starts.

I just had to pull my starter too. Froze up?
IMG_20181229_140136.jpg

Good news, so it did it again. Finally had absolutely no start, not even an attempt. Tried neutral, no dice. Rules that out. Then checked battery cables, also no dice. Ignition switch seems to be working too, when you attempt it, it does everything normally but that. That left relays, a wiring issue, and the starter. So, starting simple, I opened the relay box, wiggled every relay in there and it cranked right up. When I purchased this truck, I got it with a bad fuel pump relay, so I'm thinking I've got it. Which one of these is the starter relay?

ok, pull the relay and look down into the socket. look for discolored connections.

I think your relay is good, however where it plugs in is not making good reliable contact.Metal shrinks when cold. the metal lug is shrinking inside the connector and loosing contact.

Using a needle nose pliers, very slightly twist the relay lugs. Just a little will do. this makes them bite into the socket better. Costs nothing and I bet it fixes your problem.

Unless there is severe heat damage in the power distribution box where the relay plugs in.

Please try this and post back

The box isn't damaged, it's nice and clean and perfect inside, the relays are good and snug but I'll try that. I did also remember I had to swap wiper relays a while ago because I got stuck with just high speed wipers, that too was a bad relay. Do these things just get bad at 250K or so? That's been my one recurring issue with this truck, a relay related issue.

Relays are cheap. I’d just tighten the pin connectors and replace them.

The box isn't damaged, it's nice and clean and perfect inside, the relays are good and snug but I'll try that. I did also remember I had to swap wiper relays a while ago because I got stuck with just high speed wipers, that too was a bad relay. Do these things just get bad at 250K or so? That's been my one recurring issue with this truck, a relay related issue.

I agree that corrosion or a terminal backing out etc, is most likely the cause. But the relays do wear out eventually, and I think 20 years is about the right time to replace them all if you can. They aren't as expensive as the OEM 80's Ford relays were, but around $12 each is quite a bit if you by ten of them. I think I got about that last year for my best truck. I might go with other brands for my other trucks.

So it's the starter, turns out it gave off another no crank spell, it's the windings too, you can hear it kick back in when you release the key after trying to crank it, if that makes sense. That ruled out the relays since I swapped them with known good ones and adjusted the terminals with needle nose pliers.

I looked and it's not even OEM, it's got nothing for stickers on it, and I got zero paperwork out outside of title on the truck. I have a friend with a 120K mile OEM one, unless I just snatch the one off my Mountaineer and use it, it cranks great.

On a side note, any clues on why it'd be this way only in colder weather?

Harder to turn over in the cold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto, lots of little gremlins pop up in the cold weather. My starter was rebuilt with all new parts about two years ago, when the original went out. You never know, even new stuff has issues sometimes.

Back