• Register Today It's free!

Anti-theft system issues

GNM1242

Reaction score
City, State
Fredonia, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I would like to disconnect my anti-theft system in my '97 Explorer. It sometimes goes off when not set. I think there is a short somewhere that is shutting down the fuel pump.

I can't afford a newer one and I want to keep this alive as long as possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, the alarm shouldn't be going off unless a door or hatch latch, or hood is opened. What shape are your striker bushings in? Check those first, if they aren't good then any movement of a door or hatch may trigger the alarm.

The striker bushings are the grey plastic part each latch grabs ahold of. For the door strikers, the Dorman assembly is the best choice, parts stores carry them for about $10 each. On Rock Auto they usually are under $6-7 each.

Also lubricate each of the latches, after 20 years they can get stiff and not move very well. Some WD40 and white lithium grease will help a lot with those.

Mine started going off by itself for no reason. I replaced the battery under the hood, and it has never happened again.

The '97 was pre-PATS (Passive Anti Theft System). There is nothing in the anti-theft system (which basically flashes a light in your dash and blows the horn if a door or the hood is opened without unlocking the doors). When you lock your doors I guess you can say the anti theft system is "set". There's nothing more to it.

For that matter Gen II PATS (1998-2001) does not turn off the fuel pump. It turns off the fuel injectors via the PCM if an unrecognized RF key is used to try to start the engine.

If your fuel pump is cutting out your likely suspects are the fuel pump relay, the inertia switch connections or the fuel pump itself. If your horn is blowing the issue is likely a door or hood switch problem.

I was having a similar problem with the door jamb relay on each door. Changing the relay, which is a pressure switch activated by the door latch solved the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYLZ4I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one that worked for my 96 explorer.

By "relay" you mean the door latch switch? If so that's not a relay, just a push-button switch controlled by the door latch. It's what turns on the interior lights, what turns on the DOOR AJAR light on the instrument panel and what blows the horn on pre-PATS vehicles.

By "relay" you mean the door latch switch? If so that's not a relay, just a push-button switch controlled by the door latch. It's what turns on the interior lights, what turns on the DOOR AJAR light on the instrument panel and what blows the horn on pre-PATS vehicles.

I know but that's the name of the part in Amazon. I was searching for door ajar switch, that came up and after some investigation I turns up as the solution for my particular problem.

Parts people mis-describe things all the time. That's part of hunting for parts, figuring out how some no-nothing worded the description of what you need.;)

I know but that's the name of the part in Amazon. I was searching for door ajar switch, that came up and after some investigation I turns up as the solution for my particular problem.

Ok, but it's not a relay regardless of what they called it. Just to be clear, a relay is a device that transfers electricity from one wire to another when it is electromagnetically energized.

Definition - an electrical device, typically incorporating an electromagnet, which is activated by a current or signal in one circuit to open or close another circuit.

Back