Suspension Questions - Spring Over Axel, Levelling Kit, SAS, Torsion Keys | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension Questions - Spring Over Axel, Levelling Kit, SAS, Torsion Keys

White86Tercel

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer 5.0AWD
I have searched carefully and I still have several suspension / handling questions.

I am looking for the best way to take my kids wheeling on steep inclines in my 98 Explorer 5.0 AWD while keeping my rig highway friendly.

Spring Over Axel
  1. I like the idea of SOA because it reduces the risk of my leafs getting stuck in the snow/mud [this has happened before]
  2. What are the downsides of doing an SOA conversion?
  3. Why do so vehicles ship from the factory with Springs Over the Axel?
  4. Is there a way to get less lift out of an SOA conversion [maybe by lowering something else?
Torsion Lifts
  1. Can I combine a Torsion Twist with Torsion Keys to get 3.5-4" of lift?
  2. What are the downsides of doing these lifts
Solid Axel Swap
  1. Which SAS option maximizes Highway handling?
Leveling kits
  1. I have seen shocks sold as a levelling kit that increase the front end by 2"s are they a good idea.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2. What are the downsides of doing an SOA conversion?

Not getting enough front lift to make it level.

4. Is there a way to get less lift out of an SOA conversion [maybe by lowering something else?
Torsion Lifts

Possibly go with shorter shackles.

Or a custom spring pack- but it might be too soft if it uses less leafs.

1. Can I combine a Torsion Twist with Torsion Keys to get 3.5-4" of lift?

Probably. See below.

2. What are the downsides of doing these lifts

It ruins the ride. You get significantly less up travel in the suspension (or down travel- I always forget which). I had the typical torsion twist prior to SAS and I noticed afterwards my speed on the trail increased by a lot. And I'm not talking like I'm flying down the trail, but the same guys in my wheeling group that would always be with me before that SAS were now way behind me and I'm waiting for them.

Plus, if you twist them up too much you'll put the CV joints in a bind and they will wear quicker.

Solid Axel Swap
  1. Which SAS option maximizes Highway handling?

Probably a 4 link, but I don't know for sure.

david macdougall New Member
City, State:
NORTH PORT
Year, Model & Trim Level:
1998 ford explorer
New
A Question on this subject. I want to replace my rear axel on my 98 4x4 6cyl with 3.55 gears with a limited slip 3.73 from a 98 V8. will this match up with my front drive ok or will it bind up the transfer case with miss matched gearing. ? any help is appreciated

The front and rear gearing must be the same ratio.

Same goes for tire size, all four tires need to be the same size/type.

david macdougall New Member
A Question on this subject. I want to replace my rear axel on my 98 4x4 6cyl with 3.55 gears with a limited slip 3.73 from a 98 V8. will this match up with my front drive ok or will it bind up the transfer case with miss matched gearing. ? any help is appreciated

Ditto, you have to change both gear sets front and rear at the same time. Swapping the front out is easier than the rear for most people. The front axles have to be removed, which is about half of the job. Once you disconnect the UCA BJ from the spindle, and the TRE's, the axle can be removed.

Then after removing the front driveshaft, there's only three bolts holding the front diff/housing up. Disconnect the rubber vent hose(from the top frame clip) before removing the three bolts, and have something below to set it onto. I like an old battery or a similar sized strong object, something to move it part way down, and up, along the way.

All of the 302 Explorers should have 3.73 gears, so find the lowest mileage truck.

Back