97 v8 AWD - bad tires - one has cracks and leaks in cold - Fix A Flat?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 v8 AWD - bad tires - one has cracks and leaks in cold - Fix A Flat??

ELeBlanc

Reaction score
City, State
brooklyn, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
All tires need to be replaced and I intend to in a couple of weeks - just trying to make it a couple of weeks.

Friday went to car and driver side front tire was 75% deflated. Took it to a Tire Repair guy nearby. He said no holes. One tire has visible cracks - he said in very cold weather tire will leak through the cracks.

Should I use Fix a Flat as a preventative measure? Should I see if I can buy just a canister of compressed air.

I'm hoping to make it about 10 days when I will be driving (if tire cooperates) by Junkyard (120 miles from home) and they have a set of 4 Hankooks 235/75/15 with good tread for $200. Just need to survive until then.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d surely not be driving on old cracked tires 120 miles from home. Fix-a-flat is a garbage product and makes a mess inside the wheel.

The only problem is those Goodyear Wranglers are notoriously crappy tires. I’d wouldn’t ship them, either. You can get those at the local Walmart for $75 a piece.

what is a typical cost on a per tire basis to mount a tire?
tirerack has the goodyears for $380 - but I don't want to spend that much... of course I also don't want to be stranded somewhere...

Junkyard has several sets with tread depth almost original for $200 for set of 4.

I'm stumped.. I see the risk of driving as it is - but much prefer the junkyard cost of $200

$75- + tax each or about $330- total. My mail order ones that I purchased last year had all the same date codes down to the week and they were 2 weeks new. Here at the local Walmart one of their tires might be two months old and the next one 3. I have had really good performance out of mine and get 50000 to 60000 miles out of them. That is all that I have on 4 of my Explorers and 1 Mountaineer.
:burnout:

I’d surely not be driving on old cracked tires 120 miles from home. Fix-a-flat is a garbage product and makes a mess inside the wheel.

Ditto, it's better to buy something closer if the old tires are that bad. Here's one on Amazon that runs about $236 a set, available from a couple of sellers without charging taxes, all free shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/Nexen-NPriz-All-Season-Radial-Tire/dp/B01MCU10AU?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

Mounting tires is expensive now everywhere. It's easily $75 minimum for that, lots more at many shops. That Nexen has good reviews on Amazon, but I'm sure it's a low end tire, not great in the rain etc. I tried that brand one time on my Crown Vic, a different model tire, but it's horrible in the rain. With tires, the price often matches the quality.

$75- + tax each or about $330- total. My mail order ones that I purchased last year had all the same date codes down to the week and they were 2 weeks new. Here at the local Walmart one of their tires might be two months old and the next one 3. I have had really good performance out of mine and get 50000 to 60000 miles out of them. That is all that I have on 4 of my Explorers and 1 Mountaineer.
What does it matter if a tire is a month older? I wouldn’t care if the new tires mounted on my car were all 6 months old.

of course my spare is probably 21 years old and its different than what is on the vehicle now...

-I guessed about $20 a tire for the works per tire.
-One time a few years back I had to use a heavy wire brush on a drill to clean the dried up Fix-a-Flat off of the inside of 4 aluminum rims. I do remember that it took a while.
-The tread on the Wranglers even though not good in my topsoil or red clay, saved me from totaling my Explorer and a Toyota that a 80 yo women turned in front of me... The tread design locked me down good to the pavement and kept me from T-boning her.

Ok folks, I have run out of time for "hair splitting" here. I've got to drive over to my Mustang Shop and do something. Later Taters and Carrots !

@CDW6212R "Mounting tires is expensive now everywhere. It's easily $75 minimum for that, lots more at many shops."

I bought a manual tire changing stand for $35 on sale at Harbor Freight. It easily busts the beads loose, mounting new tires is a snap. Have mounted the last 10 tires I bought myself. Two sets of 4, one each as the Chinese tires crapped out one at a time. Last two I bought Generals, forget the quality, but they both required NO balancing when I spun them. Local tire guy charges $10 each to balance tires hand-carried in. Plus, I have the satisfaction of wrenching my aching arthritic shoulders with a 4-foot long tire-iron, something my wife keeps encouraging me to exercise or face them getting worse. Now if I can stop stubbing my toes on the feet of the damned thing....imp

I see your point saving loot, but driving 120 miles on questionable tires is not a good idea IMO. Okay, one slow leaks and goes flat, okay. One blows out and you wreck, not okay.

If you were way closer, I have two sets of used I would give you. But I'm in Wyoming...

maybe I need to buy one used but good any brand 235/75/15 to get me to the junkyard where I can pick up Hankook DynaPro ATs for $200

Spare tire?

I think it was one of the original tires from 21 years ago. so old its from back when tires were square.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find a new/decent one and put it on your spare. That way, you won't have to double pay for mounting and balancing. You're going to have to replace it anyways...

Back