2020 Explorer | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

The one thing I do love that annoys the hell out of me on the current gen is the lack of control of physical HVAC controls. Like changing where the air comes from. Floor, front, both, etc. I hate that. There's physical controls in the back for the rear but not up front . I also see they added in a physical button for heated steering wheel. Good fix.
Like this on My 18???

IMG_20190110_224057.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like it. not a big departure from the current version. I think I really like my 18 sport better right now. Something about that new front end I'm not sure about. also the rotary gear selector, not a fan. the 3/4 profile from the rear tho I really like.

I'm driving a 2016 right now with the 2.3L Ecoboost, and it does not lack for power. It looks like the new 2.3L gets a bump in both horsepower and torque, so I would not be afraid to tow with it. I'll definitely be looking at a lease of this vehicle in about a year.

Exteriorwise, really loving the back and side profile. Front is just ok, but I'm sure will grow on me. Sort of like the 5th gen front before the refresh. It was ok, but the refresh made it really nice. Interior, other than the dash is nice. Just can't get over that damn stupid dash with a shelf and tablet. It will never grow on me.

I love pixel counting...have done that many times over the years in absence of available information. But, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer:

1st Gen Width: 70.2 in
2nd Gen Width: 70.2 in
3rd Gen Width: 72.1 in
4th Gen Width: 73.7 in
5th Gen Width: 78.9 in
6th Gen Width: 78.9 in

You are correct same as 5th gen, but certainly wider than past, like my 2002!

This is why my '15 is such a tight fit in my '89 built one car garage! I could really use those 8 inches in the garage.

Wow, did not expect such a detuned hybrid system compared to the Aviator. 318hp compared to 450.. 336tq compared to 600...

And then on top of that, only a few miles on pure electric compared to the 30+ miles kf the Aviator. Big disappointment!!

The ST looks very very interesting though.

Wow, did not expect such a detuned hybrid system compared to the Aviator. 318hp compared to 450.. 336tq compared to 600...

And then on top of that, only a few miles on pure electric compared to the 30+ miles kf the Aviator. Big disappointment!!

The ST looks very very interesting though.

I was waiting for the ST but you raise a very good point, I'm kinda more interested in the Aviator.

I'm fearful that pricing might be as stupid as GM did with the Tahoe/Yukon and make it unreachable to the average Explorer customer. Which is probably not who they want in the Aviator anyway.

Demand on that Aviator will likely exceed production, especially since its being made in CAP alongside the 2020 Explorer.

Here is a live video on the new Explorer ST from NAIAS

Not bad, I like the blue color on the explorer. I used to see it only with like 2014 Ford Edge Sport. ST model looks really good.

Looks like they will come with Scorpion tires or something else this time. My 16 Sport Hankcooks are peeling at 22.000 miles.

I was waiting for the ST but you raise a very good point, I'm kinda more interested in the Aviator.

I'm fearful that pricing might be as stupid as GM did with the Tahoe/Yukon and make it unreachable to the average Explorer customer. Which is probably not who they want in the Aviator anyway.

Demand on that Aviator will likely exceed production, especially since its being made in CAP alongside the 2020 Explorer.

I think we will be mid 50s for a ST with the track pkg. The Aviator hybrid I believe will be high 60s to low 70s but should have a tax credit still.

I think we will be mid 50s for a ST with the track pkg. The Aviator hybrid I believe will be high 60s to low 70s but should have a tax credit still.
I believe it was mentioned that the 2020 would be about $400 more than the current Explorer.

Peter

Looks like they will come with Scorpion tires or something else this time. My 16 Sport Hankcooks are peeling at 22.000 miles.
I've seen pictures where it had Hankook Kinergy GT (H436). It may depend on the trim level.

Peter

So before.. the platinum was more than the sport, the sport has been discontinued and it seems the ST will be more than the platinum..

That kinda leaves a hole between the limited and platinum or how will pricing work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The platinum is still the top dog, the ST just gets 35 more hp. I expect the ST will fall around 54-55K nicely equipped. My 18 sport stickered for 53,210 and it is nicely equipped.

I just wish ford would offer a black out delete on the ST and use the chrome grille, side trim and wheels from the platinum. I'm not 12 years old anymore, I don't like the blackout look. Frankly I'm tired of just about all manufacturers blacking out the sportier or performance models, and I especially hate black wheels.

Back