Thinkware F750 front & rear dashcam hardwire install (Ford Explorer 2011-2017) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinkware F750 front & rear dashcam hardwire install (Ford Explorer 2011-2017)

If you do not want to deal with running the wire to the fuse box, I was able to successfully wire a A119s to the rear view mirror using the following cable:

https://www.amazon.com/SimpleUSB-Au...4565255&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=subaru+fuse+tap

You need to have the auto dimming mirror in order to use this.

Just slip in the wires into the #1 and #4 slot on the pin behind the rear view mirror.

Installation took less than a few minutes and it powers on/off with the truck.

Ummm...are you running 12vdc into USB which typically uses 5vdc to power devices? Does that work? Doesn't it fry the USB device?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ummm...are you running 12vdc into USB which typically uses 5vdc to power devices? Does that work? Doesn't it fry the USB device?

One of the Amazon customer questions mentions this does convert to 5VDC.

As said above, it had a converter in it and it worked great until one of the pins broke off. Unfortunately it seems as though it hasn't been available for a while so I just had someone hardwire it for me.

Thanks all. I'm going with taps off both the mirror and the always-on power for the maps, both going into 12v-5v bucks. I'd do it from the A-pillar if I knew which ones were switched and which ones were always on.

I'll hopefully take pictures.

Just to add an update to an older thread, ThinkWare now offers an OBD-connector wiring harness that fits all cars with an OBD-II connector in it. Basically, the existing OBD connector is removed from below the dash, and instead, plugged into the ThinkWare wiring harness, which then has its own OBD connector installed back where the original one used to be. It makes it all transparent, and turns the Thinkware camera system (or any such system) on and off with the ignition switch, as well as lets the camera run for 2-1/2 minutes after ignition shutdown, before automatically shutting it down (thus saving the battery). Parking modes will still work, however.

The adapter runs about $50 on the ThinkWare website, and eliminates the need for trying to tap into fuse boxes, or trying to tap into any power wires, or finding grounds. If you ever remove the camera system, you'd just remove the adapter harness and put the original OBD connector back down into the mounting bracket under the dash.

Just to add an update to an older thread, ThinkWare now offers an OBD-connector wiring harness that fits all cars with an OBD-II connector in it. Basically, the existing OBD connector is removed from below the dash, and instead, plugged into the ThinkWare wiring harness, which then has its own OBD connector installed back where the original one used to be. It makes it all transparent, and turns the Thinkware camera system (or any such system) on and off with the ignition switch, as well as lets the camera run for 2-1/2 minutes after ignition shutdown, before automatically shutting it down (thus saving the battery). Parking modes will still work, however.

The adapter runs about $50 on the ThinkWare website, and eliminates the need for trying to tap into fuse boxes, or trying to tap into any power wires, or finding grounds. If you ever remove the camera system, you'd just remove the adapter harness and put the original OBD connector back down into the mounting bracket under the dash.

I have used both their OBDII harness connectors and they make the hard wiring so much easier.

Im running the Q800Pro its an excellent F/R unit.

Not to revive an old post, but wanted to say this thread was helpful concerning my 2016 PIU. While the wire and wire colors are different, I was able to locate a 12v constant and 12v switched behind the driver side A-pillar.
For those of you with 16-19 PIU's there is a yellow wire with red stripe behind the A-pillar that is 12v constant for a spotlight (there's also another 3 or 4 12v constant options in the plug but I don't know what they lead to.)
Note: the spotlight power lead is separate from the plug.
Then a green wire with brown or purple stripe (hard to tell) in the wire connector that provides 12v switched power.

Back