• Register Today It's free!

2018 Ambient Lighting

knip21

Reaction score
City, State
OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
I just bought a 2018 Limited and just noticed that the ambient lighting only works in the front door handles. I can adjust the color and everything via the Sync 3 system though. It's just that the floor and the console dont light up. Can someone post a pic on what a 2018 limited is supposed to look like with the ambient lighting? I am still under factory warranty, just want to be prepared for the dealing with the service department.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
According to some posts I read on the 2019, there was a change where the lighting on the console cupholders was moved to the bottom from the top ring. Also, there apparently is no longer any lighting towards the bottom of the front doors. I haven't seen anything about the 2018. On my 2017 there is lighting at the top of the center console cupholders, the door handles, the bottom of the front doors and the footwells. Also, there is lighting in the back of the front console for the 2nd-row passengers.
Hopefully, another 2018 owner can verify what is supposed to 'light' up but I'm guessing that you may have a problem with yours. Good luck.

Peter

On my 2017 there is lighting at the top of the center console cupholders, the door handles, the bottom of the front doors and the footwells. Also, there is lighting in the back of the front console for the 2nd-row passengers.
Hopefully, another 2018 owner can verify what is supposed to 'light' up but I'm guessing that you may have a problem with yours. Good luck.

Peter

Same thing as my 18 Limited.

They removed some of the ambient lighting on 2018s. On the F-150, they removed the multi-color options too.

Whats strange is my cupholders have a clear ring at the bottom of them, not at the top. That is why I wanted to see if anyone could post pics of what a 2018 should look like.

I just bought a 2018 Limited and just noticed that the ambient lighting only works in the front door handles. I can adjust the color and everything via the Sync 3 system though. It's just that the floor and the console dont light up. Can someone post a pic on what a 2018 limited is supposed to look like with the ambient lighting? I am still under factory warranty, just want to be prepared for the dealing with the service department.

To confirm...you did go into the Ambient Lights menu on your Sync 3 screen and select/adjust the light brightness? You should see the center console cup holders light up when your headlights are on and it’s dark out (dash sensor detects dark).

E18A04AB-4B38-459E-A352-53C4DC69CBE2.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the cup holders...you should also have lights under the dash that illuminates the driver’s and passenger’s foot wells.

To confirm...you did go into the Ambient Lights menu on your Sync 3 screen and select/adjust the light brightness? You should see the center console cup holders light up when your headlights are on and it’s dark out (dash sensor detects dark).
Yes I have. It only works on the lights in the door handles. The cupholders, footwell and back of the console do not.

Using the ‘thumbs up’ button on the post you like helps build our ‘Likes Received’ number..;)

But not the lower part of the doors? Thanks for the help!
Take it to the dealer. Something is not working properly.

Peter

Take it to the dealer. Something is not working properly.

Peter
That is my plan. Just like feeling comfortable with the issue before going in. Thanks everyone!

That is my plan. Just like feeling comfortable with the issue before going in. Thanks everyone!

Please post back with what the dealer discovers...may help others.

They removed some of the ambient lighting on 2018s. On the F-150, they removed the multi-color options too.
Abl seems to be a fad, that is dying out. I actually like it, if done properly.

Abl seems to be a fad, that is dying out. I actually like it, if done properly.

I think it's a very tasteful touch that can really spruce up a car. VW is advertising it big in their new cars which looks really nice.

Not to mention I think it helps when something actually falls on the ground. For example the lighting for the rear seats, my daughter likes to throw her toys and pacifier. Without turning on all the overhead lights, I can generally spot these items just with the ambient lighting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like it as well, but to me the more gadgets the better

Back