2020 Explorer | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

I don’t like the textured plastic trim not being painted. It’s not just the Fords it’s on most crossovers now.

When did automakers decide painting the whole car was no longer required. I was hoping the new generation was going to be painted fully like my expedition is.

I mean you can have air conditioned seats, adaptive cruise control and self parking but no option for the whole car to be painted?

C’mon at least on platinum and sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don’t like the textured plastic trim not being painted. It’s not just the Fords it’s on most crossovers now.

When did automakers decide painting the whole car was no longer required. I was hoping the new generation was going to be painted fully like my expedition is.

I mean you can have air conditioned seats, adaptive cruise control and self parking but no option for the whole car to be painted?

Yeah the Platinum should have come a little bit more elegant but I prefer ST to look the way it is. I even see Lexus RX 350's with some black plastic stuff too around the wheels, so i guess it is just the trend or maybe to prevent the color from rusting. I think it will look good in person.

Not saying it has to be standard but
Should be an option

Just an update to your post. Was talking to my guy today about changing the color from Atlas Blue to something else. He said because of the $0 pricing options he doesnt want to edit the order. He has confirmation via email from Ford that they will honor the $0 pricing packages so he doesnt want to screw that up. Instead he is going to order another one in the other color.

Ford has pulled the pricing from the system now when he started placing another order so Ford realized their F up lol. So it seems that I will either have to take the Blue one at the cheaper price or take one that doesnt have the price assigned in which I am sure will be normal pricing when Ford publishes it.
[/QUOTE]

well it seems like you got lucky I ordered mine in black! , when I officially placed my order on wednesday, im assuming my dealer submitted the order, I had to go and work the auto show. so i never got what you had showing prices. If i got my order in in time, they should honor that pricing. I'm not even sure who to contact at ford to try and get confirmation as well, because my dealer doesnt appear to have helped. It seems like I placed my order a couple days after you, so I dont see having them removing the pricing by then, Any way you can get a hold of that contact for me? lol

Not saying it has to be standard but
Should be an option

I got another issue. Should I get a Street Pack or a Track Pack. That's what I still have not decided on.

I kind of agree on the Limited and Platinum, especially if other models are doing it.

I'm going to guess based on what I have been told its a cost issue and when painted it becomes an issue for warranty later on, which is also a cost issue. Whereas cheap plastic/rubber is pretty much indestructible.

One thing I noticed when I saw the PIU up close, the new trim is bigger, and its a rubber feel not hard plastic feel, at least the PIU prototype at LASD Vehicle Test was.

Great they are probably paying even more now for this experimental rubber thst cannot be painted

...........I'm going to guess based on what I have been told its a cost issue and when painted it becomes an issue for warranty later on, which is also a cost issue. Whereas cheap plastic/rubber is pretty much indestructible........................
It would likely mean a change in the production line as well which would add to the cost. I'm quite sure that the vehicle is painted before the black plastic parts are added. So to have the plastic painted it would have to be added to the vehicle before it is painted or the pieces would have to be painted separately. All that would require additional costs for something that doesn't really seem to be an issue since only a handful of members here have had the trim painted.

Peter

is the noise suppression available on the ST

Obviously automakers are doing it for cost cutting measures. If fisher price can put 4 plastic fenders on a power wheel for $199 it has to make sense on a $50,000 real car.

Not sure how many here are familiar with Autogefuhl on YouTube, but they do very in-depth reviews of cars. They went over the 2020 Explorer (Limited) at the Detroit auto show and did a pretty good job covering things you may not hear from other reviews, such as material feels, little details on vents etc. They also talk to the chief engineer (~10 min mark) about AWD, drivetrains, HP, etc.

If you only care about the ST model, jump to the 14 min mark. It doesn't go into that much detail on that model however.

Not sure how many here are familiar with Autogefuhl on YouTube, but they do very in-depth reviews of cars. They went over the 2020 Explorer (Limited) at the Detroit auto show and did a pretty good job covering things you may not hear from other reviews, such as material feels, little details on vents etc. They also talk to the chief engineer (~10 min mark) about AWD, drivetrains, HP, etc.

If you only care about the ST model, jump to the 14 min mark. It doesn't go into that much detail on that model however.

Like the video! Isn't that a Limited in the video with a 2nd row bench? I thought there was no 2nd row bench option on Limited and ST (per the order guide)......

Like the video! Isn't that a Limited in the video with a 2nd row bench? I thought there was no 2nd row bench option on Limited and ST (per the order guide)......
You are correct. No 2nd row bench on the Limited and now that you mentioned it, the one in the video does appear to have one as the person said the center position is a bit harder feeling due to the fold down armrest and as well you can plainly see it when he climbs into the 3rd row. I wonder if the Europen model is different?:dunno:

Peter

My guess, preproduction model which shows things that wont be part of the real production.

Will it be just as quiet in the ST as the platinum?

Will it be just as quiet in the ST as the platinum?
Probably not but that's hard to say since it isn't out yet for sale. My guess would be no. I think the current Platinum has extra sound insulation and it does have the Active Noise Reduction feature. I don't think many people buy an 'ST' model hoping it is quiet.

Peter

I traded in my '17 Explorer a few months ago and I miss it for the most part. As of now, I am planning to get a '20 as long as it has one thing the '17 didn't--a foot rest for my left foot. That drove me absolutely crazy, especially on longer trips. It sounds lame (to me) but if the '20 doesn't have one I won't buy it. Does anybody have any info or seen any pics of the interior that would reveal this?

The '17 has a footrest or dead pedal. I never use it myself. I would think the 2020 would be similar.

Peter

I traded in my '17 Explorer a few months ago and I miss it for the most part. As of now, I am planning to get a '20 as long as it has one thing the '17 didn't--a foot rest for my left foot. That drove me absolutely crazy, especially on longer trips. It sounds lame (to me) but if the '20 doesn't have one I won't buy it. Does anybody have any info or seen any pics of the interior that would reveal this?

What did you purchase in place of the Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This the best I could do with an existing picture.

Peter

Clip_6.jpg

Back