Overall Interceptor Reliability | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overall Interceptor Reliability

Chris Thompson

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 F-150 XLT
After searching around a bit, I can't seem to find any threads discussing the overall reliability of a used PIU that was used in some type of patrol/response capacity.

I understand that there are multiple factors that go into the severity of use that a vehicle might receive, but generally speaking, for those of you who own used PIUs, what has your experience been with reliability/frequency of repairs with these vehicles?

Thanks for any and all input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be curious about this, too, especially since reliability numbers specifically for the PIU don't seem to be readily available. Seems like everything that's out there covers the Explorer line as a whole, and often times the PIU doesn't even come up as a trim level at all, so it's hard to gauge that sort of thing. I imagine Ford probably has some pretty accurate data, but how to get it out of them I know not.

For the most part, PIUs are a combination of the base and sport retail models. Reliability should probably be similar/essentially the same. Look at Lincoln 3.7L models for additional detaili on that engine if you have it. All bets are off if the vehicle has crash damage.

If you read through the threads around here, you should find all the info on potential problems and suggested maintenance if miles are >100K.

I would be curious about this, too, especially since reliability numbers specifically for the PIU don't seem to be readily available. Seems like everything that's out there covers the Explorer line as a whole, and often times the PIU doesn't even come up as a trim level at all, so it's hard to gauge that sort of thing. I imagine Ford probably has some pretty accurate data, but how to get it out of them I know not.
it's not a retail trim level, so there is no retail data out there. I'm sure if you are a le fleet customer, they will provide all the data to justify their vehicle over the competition. Don't forget there is police agency test data out there as well, but doubt there is much in the way of longer term type data.

I'm sure if you are a le fleet customer, they will provide all the data to justify their vehicle over the competition. Don't forget there is police agency test data out there as well, but doubt there is much in the way of longer term type data.

That gives me a thought. I have a pretty good relationship with our logistics coordinator who oversees vehicle maintenance, maybe he's got something.

After searching around a bit, I can't seem to find any threads discussing the overall reliability of a used PIU that was used in some type of patrol/response capacity.

I understand that there are multiple factors that go into the severity of use that a vehicle might receive, but generally speaking, for those of you who own used PIUs, what has your experience been with reliability/frequency of repairs with these vehicles?

Thanks for any and all input!
Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:

Peter

Coming from an Officer that uses these before you get them.....DO NOT BUY ONE. They are abused in ways you would not even imagine. There is a reason why many agencies now lease vehicles and get rid of them after two years of use. The only exception would be if you got a school resource officer vehicle since the chances it has been abused are significantly lowered.

Even if it is just as reliable as retail Explorers and being used abusively, it's still a good deal as a used car (well, couple thousands PIU compare to a $15k+ used Explorer with 20k more miles on it?)

In my area school resource officer routinely swap their cars with the sheriffs literally making it no differences. (They decommission it after 5 years anyway, so why leave it sitting in a school parking lot?)

There are many small issues on my PIU (holes and scratches everywhere, A/C noise, etc). I spent lots of time (and extra money) just fixing them one by one.

Beside all these, I'm pretty satisfied with my PIU. I don't own an explorer thus don't know if there is any difference, but PIU has a pretty impressive alternator (or maybe the one on my Mazda5 is just too bad) and more powerful A/C compare to my RAV4.

Even if it is just as reliable as retail Explorers and being used abusively, it's still a good deal as a used car (well, couple thousands PIU compare to a $15k+ used Explorer with 20k more miles on it?)

In my area school resource officer routinely swap their cars with the sheriffs literally making it no differences. (They decommission it after 5 years anyway, so why leave it sitting in a school parking lot?)

There are many small issues on my PIU (holes and scratches everywhere, A/C noise, etc). I spent lots of time (and extra money) just fixing them one by one.

Beside all these, I'm pretty satisfied with my PIU. I don't own an explorer thus don't know if there is any difference, but PIU has a pretty impressive alternator (or maybe the one on my Mazda5 is just too bad) and more powerful A/C compare to my RAV4.

I am glad to hear it is working out for you! In regards to the vehicle swapping, I suppose it all depends on what the department does.

You can’t compare just PIU mileage to consumer mileage because of the tons of hours of idle time. You need to add up the run time hours, and add that to the mileage. When that’s fine the PIU would generally have a LOT more use.

It's also bigger than a FIAT 126P.

Just thought I'd mention it...

You can’t compare just PIU mileage to consumer mileage because of the tons of hours of idle time. You need to add up the run time hours, and add that to the mileage. When that’s fine the PIU would generally have a LOT more use.
That is ENGINE run time and can not be associated with VEHICLE mileage. It is a common misconception that many people make. The engine is only a piece of the vehicle, and these engines are not showing excess cam wear or timing guide wear from 10,000 hours of idle. The water pump however seems to be a crap shoot and mileage doesn't seem to matter for that either.

That said, I'm on my second Police Interceptor. My first one being a 2013 Taurus AWD. Sold that one with 145,000 miles. My current 2015 Explorer has 103,000 miles and came with an outstanding service record from the federal government.

That said, I'm on my second Police Interceptor. My first one being a 2013 Taurus AWD. Sold that one with 145,000 miles. My current 2015 Explorer has 103,000 miles and came with an outstanding service record from the federal government.

How did you buy one from the Fed?

That is ENGINE run time and can not be associated with VEHICLE mileage. It is a common misconception that many people make. The engine is only a piece of the vehicle, and these engines are not showing excess cam wear or timing guide wear from 10,000 hours of idle. The water pump however seems to be a crap shoot and mileage doesn't seem to matter for that either.
Sure it can. A motor with lots of run time is surely going to wear out sooner. It reduces the life of lots of things, including the transmission, and turbos if it has them.

The motor might only be one piece, but it happens to be the most expensive piece.

I bought a '13 PIU from County Sheriff with 100k on it ( I think 6000 engine hours, 3000 idle?? so not bad for a police vehicle), now has about 140k over a few years. I have been really happy with it, and would consider it no different than buying a typical higher mileage used car. At least with fleet I had the service record so know the oil was changed regularly.

I have had to patch up a rusty paint area by the hatch key hole, and spent lots of time troubleshooting a hard/long crank starting - still haven't resolved what it was but it has gone away now - replaced the Fuel Pump Driver Module, intake gasket, battery and most recently the vapor canister purge valve to troubleshoot.

My understanding is that 1 hour of idle time = 33 miles of driving. (I literally just read that today, but can't cite the source, so I apologize.) But without having a real good indicator of the idle time, you're just taking shots in the dark.

Edit: Found the source: Hours... or Miles? | Hendon Publishing

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did they remove everything before selling it?
Yes everything but the spotlight, but they added a center console. It's a pretty blue, I have pics but don't know how to post to this site.
My understanding is that 1 hour of idle time = 33 miles of driving. (I literally just read that today, but can't cite the source, so I apologize.) But without having a real good indicator of the idle time, you're just taking shots in the dark.

Edit: Found the source: Hours... or Miles? | Hendon Publishing
Police Interceptors have idle hours and total engine hours on the display.

Back