• Register Today It's free!

2008 Exp Vibration/Noise???

Mattre69

Reaction score
City, State
Connersville, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have the 2008 Eddie Bauer with V8 4wd with just over 200k on it. I have a noise and vibration that gets worse the faster you go. I've had a mechanic look at it at least 3 times for it and has not found any wheel bearing bad, but this time he mentioned the front diff pinion bearing race might be spinning. I have changed the fluid in it and it doesn't leak. It sounds kind of like I have big lug tires on it, but I don't and it doesn't sound exactly like that. It sounds to me like it could be about the right speed to be the pinion/ring gear mesh speed. I would love to get this fixed. Does anyone have an idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it's not the wheel bearings? Just saying, they are notorious for going bad. I've had a 2008 and a 2010 and they've gone bad on both. It might not be a bad idea to replace them. When the bearing went bad on my 2010, it screwed up the ABS sensor. A loud alarm sounded from the dashboard for the ABS/traction/roll-over and the car wouldn't go over 20 MPH, so I was stuck on the road. Wouldn't want that to happen!

Are you sure it's not the wheel bearings? Just saying, they are notorious for going bad. I've had a 2008 and a 2010 and they've gone bad on both. It might not be a bad idea to replace them. When the bearing went bad on my 2010, it screwed up the ABS sensor. A loud alarm sounded from the dashboard for the ABS/traction/roll-over and the car wouldn't go over 20 MPH, so I was stuck on the road. Wouldn't want that to happen!
Well, wheel bearings seem to be very elusive on these from what I've read. Both the mechanic and I have jacked it up and felt and rotated all of the wheels and nothing. All but the left rear have been replaced around 130k miles. So, it could be one of them, but he is not thinking it so much now. He has replaced several on many models of Fords so he should have an idea of what they sound like. Like I said, to me it sounds like about the same frequency as the pinion might turning at.

Sounds good. All I'm saying is that it might not be a bad idea to replace them anyway, especially with that mileage. It could fix your problem and prevent you from being stuck on the road. Here's a video when mine went bad, notice how the RPM drops when the warning kicked on, I guess because the throttle is computer-controlled, so the car was basically stuck

EDIT: nevermind, I just read that you replaced the fronts at 130K

Have you tried driving it and turning the steering wheel slightly both ways to see if the vibration and noise gets worse? Thats how most find bad bearings on this vehicle. It could also be the tires as they get older they get louder and if there is any odd wear they can sound just like nobby tires.

For me, it was a bad rear diff. Got a used one from eBay cheap and the dealer installed it

For me, it was a bad read diff. Got a used one from eBay cheap and the dealer installed it

Rear Differential? My 08 v6 is driving me nuts... new xfer case front pinion bearings replaced.. and still a vibration/hum at 50/60 and up... it clears when i get off excelerator ... is this what you experianced?

I have had ALOT of vibrations/noises... some at high speed, some while just leaving a light and progressively got worse as I went faster.

The one you just described above sounds like my issue with the drive shaft, which I also got on a used parts site and replaced. I've also replaced the t-case [eBay], front driveline [new-Dorman] and both rear axles.It would start at 60mph and actually reduced in noise when I went above 75. Around 90, I let off the gas and there was a loud vibration sound for a second, then quiet.

I have a very slight vibration now in the steering wheel (no noise), which I think it may just be bad struts. The fronts are still original. probably the only original parts left on this thing.

I have had ALOT of vibrations/noises... some at high speed, some while just leaving a light and progressively got worse as I went faster.

The one you just described above sounds like my issue with the drive shaft, which I also got on a used parts site and replaced. I've also replaced the t-case [eBay], front driveline [new-Dorman] and both rear axles.It would start at 60mph and actually reduced in noise when I went above 75. Around 90, I let off the gas and there was a loud vibration sound for a second, then quiet.

I have a very slight vibration now in the steering wheel (no noise), which I think it may just be bad struts. The fronts are still original. probably the only original parts left on this thing.

Wow... are you referring to rear shaft? We shall overcome!

The noise starts in mine early like at 20mph or less and goes on up with speed. I really don't think it's tires as they are not cupped or deformed and I keep them rotated. I have at times noticed a noise change at lower speeds when going around a left sweeping turn but it's not always there and my mechanic doesn't notice it either. I have felt the front diff after driving it and it felt hot, but as my mechanic pointed out it is next to the engine and exhaust. I can get a front diff from a local junk yard for $200 and I assume it has the 3.55 ratio since it's a V8. Just not sure if that's what it is. Just driving it for now.

Not tires on mine either.... The ‘noise/vibration’ is worsening with time.. so i’m Sure ‘time’ will tell us a bunch... I’m frustrated for sure! And still searching for results!

Scott

Back