16" rims on 2008 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

16" rims on 2008 Explorer

Larryjb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
Has anyone put 16" rims on from an 02 explorer on an 08 explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't seen or heard of any one putting 02's on an 08 but as long as the offset and bolt pattern are the same it should work.

A quick google search and the rims should fit.

The offset is correct. In fact, the '08 Explorer Sport track lists the 16" as an option. I put one of the rims on the front hub and found that the clearance to the upper control arm is 1/2" at best. My tire guy says it will work, and I suppose if not, I could put a spacer in to give more clearance. I got these from the wrecker for $35 each. Beats aftermarket prices even, but if I have to go that route I may have to.
wheel clearance-.jpg

I dont know why you would need more than 1/2" of clearance to the knuckle. The wheel and knuckle dont move in relation to each other. Plenty of cars come from the factory with less clearance than that between the brake calipers and the wheel.

Thanks guys,

My tire guy said he may have to use tape weights. There is almost zero clearance between the weights and the knuckle. I'm glad to hear that other vehicles have such little clearance. I've never owned one with such little clearance to the knuckle.

We don't drive this like a sports car, and have found the 18" rims make the ride quite harsh. It'll be interesting to see if the 16" rims help out with that. (Yes, we are choosing a tire size to match the overall tire height.

My 06 xlt 4.0 came with 16" rims (new from dealer)

I moved them to another 06 4.6 later with no problem (it had stock aluminum 17"s that were discolored as I recall)

George, did you use 235/70-R16? How much did it affect your speedometer?

I have noticed that my Garmin GPS reports a speed slightly slower than what's on the speedometer. In my Tahoe, the Garmin GPS reports the same speed as what's on the speedometer.

George, did you use 235/70-R16? How much did it affect your speedometer?

I have noticed that my Garmin GPS reports a speed slightly slower than what's on the speedometer. In my Tahoe, the Garmin GPS reports the same speed as what's on the speedometer.

I don't remember what size - they are BFG KO2's, they fit good with no rubbing. I'll try to remember to check the size after work

I run 245/75-16 BFG KO2's on my 2010. No rubbing, though my spedo reads about 5% slow.

235/70-16 is one of the stock tire sizes for both 2002 and 2008, so you should have zero problems.

I run 245/75-16 BFG KO2's on my 2010. No rubbing, though my spedo reads about 5% slow.

235/70-16 is one of the stock tire sizes for both 2002 and 2008, so you should have zero problems.

Yep, I checked - that's what I'm running (245/75R-16). I love them. They are smooth....

I haven't worried about the speedometer

I installed the wheels today and they did, indeed, fit fine. Even the inboard balancing weight cleared.

I installed the wheels today and they did, indeed, fit fine. Even the inboard balancing weight cleared.
We don't drive this like a sports car, and have found the 18" rims make the ride quite harsh. It'll be interesting to see if the 16" rims help out with that. (Yes, we are choosing a tire size to match the overall tire height.
Glad to hear it worked out.
You reminded me of something I rant about occasionally - I don't get the obsession with big rims on trucks and SUVs. Big rims generally equate to short sidewalls. Short sidewalls are great for sports cars on dry roads. Short sidewalls suck for trucks in snow or mud or even wet roads. A friend at work bought a one year old Tahoe that had at least 20 - maybe 22 inch aftermarket rims on it. Talked to him after the first snow and he was less than happy. Even in 4WD it was less capable than the one he had before with stock wheels. That sidewall flex that people want to get rid of is actually helping them in day to day driving. Short sidewalls may help your 0 to 60 time and may increase your max G's on a skidpad but hey - why did you buy a truck?

I'm with you on the large rims. I found the 18" made the truck feel more harsh than necessary. Although, the 2006-10 Explorers are much more stiff with all the cross bracing in the frame, so I'm sure that contributes to the feel. But when driving over washboard surfaces it felt like the massage function of a hotel room bed! I can still feel it in the Tahoe, but not so harshly. I am considering getting another set of 16" rims for my all seasons and selling the 18" rims. These are the 18" rims with the plastic onlay that isn't replaceable if you crack it on a curb. However, I still have a few seasons of wear left on my 18" all seasons, so that won't be for a few years.

Next job to do: I discovered that the rear stabilizer links completely disintegrated, so they need replacing.

Back