PTU Problems | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Special Service Message, usually sent to dealers by Ford. It is not a Technical Service Bulletin but somewhat similar. Yes, it applies to Canadian Explorers.

Peter

Special Service Message, usually sent to dealers by Ford. It is not a Technical Service Bulletin but somewhat similar. Yes, it applies to Canadian Explorers.

Peter
Thanks, I am taking my Ex in either tomorrow or Thursday to have the struts replaced, maybe I can ask them about it. Would it be done under ESP if they can prove that there is a propane odour?

Thanks, I am taking my Ex in either tomorrow or Thursday to have the struts replaced, maybe I can ask them about it. Would it be done under ESP if they can prove that there is a propane odour?
Just drive your EX until it actually breaks.
That SSM doesn't replace the entire PTU, but rather repairs the bearing.
If it breaks, you get a brand new updated PTU.

The PTU is covered under the 5 year, 60k mile powertrain warranty and or the ESP if the powertrain one has expired.

Peter

Just drive your EX until it actually breaks.
That SSM doesn't replace the entire PTU, but rather repairs the bearing.
If it breaks, you get a brand new updated PTU.
My only fear is when it breaks down and we are in the middle of nowhere. We haul a trailer and camp about 7 to 10 times a year.

Add my 2016 PIU to the list of Explorers/PIU’s with PTU issues. The propane/natural gas smell started about two weeks ago with just under 64,000mi. So far no drivability issues. The stealership will be taking it tomorrow. Hopefully it will be covered under the 100,000 mi powertrain warranty.

Add my 2016 PIU to the list of Explorers/PIU’s with PTU issues. The propane/natural gas smell started about two weeks ago with just under 64,000mi. So far no drivability issues. The stealership will be taking it tomorrow. Hopefully it will be covered under the 100,000 mi powertrain warranty.

You have an ESP or is it certified? PTU is a powertrain component.

The Interceptors come with a 5yr/100,000mi powertrain warranty. I bought it new.
Did you really buy your piu brand new through Ford fleet? The 5/100 is actually a $0 ded powertrain esp assigned at time of purchase. In my digging, I have been given a few different stories on them and haven't come across any that have successfully been transferred to individuals.

My 17 was registered to Ford Dearborn and they wouldn't allow transfer to me. My 16 was registered to DC Metro PD and I wasn't able to get them to sign off on the transfer either. My 16 was supposedly an internal Ford test/demo vehicle and may have been assigned to DC PD by mistake as the person I spoke with was unable to find it in their system.

Did you really buy your piu brand new through Ford fleet? The 5/100 is actually a $0 ded powertrain esp assigned at time of purchase. In my digging, I have been given a few different stories on them and haven't come across any that have successfully been transferred to individuals.

My 17 was registered to Ford Dearborn and they wouldn't allow transfer to me. My 16 was registered to DC Metro PD and I wasn't able to get them to sign off on the transfer either. My 16 was supposedly an internal Ford test/demo vehicle and may have been assigned to DC PD by mistake as the person I spoke with was unable to find it in their system.

Yes I ordered it brand new. It has never been assigned to anyone except for me.

Just a quick update. The dealer called this afternoon and as expected, the PTU needs to be replaced. Thankfully it is covered under the ESP.

Just a quick update. The dealer called this afternoon and as expected, the PTU needs to be replaced. Thankfully it is covered under the ESP.
Very interesting that you need a new PTU on your 2016 PIU, as it should have been equipped with the watercooled version from the factory.

Very interesting that you need a new PTU on your 2016 PIU, as it should have been equipped with the watercooled version from the factory.

A few departments in my area have had the same issue. It does have the watercooled version. I haven't beaten on it to cause it to fail, just regular driving.

A few departments in my area have had the same issue. It does have the watercooled version. I haven't beaten on it to cause it to fail, just regular driving.
Both non and watercooled versions are crap?

Hmmm, when did Ford update the PTU?

I just had my dealer look at mine because of the trans issues and have him confirm the PTU was in good working order. He said mine didn't have the drainplug, just a fillplug. Mine is a June '16 build.

They checked my fluid and it's in good shape. He said it's supposed to be serviced at 90k miles.

I just had my dealer look at mine because of the trans issues and have him confirm the PTU was in good working order. He said mine didn't have the drainplug, just a fillplug. Mine is a June '16 build.

They checked my fluid and it's in good shape. He said it's supposed to be serviced at 90k miles.

If your PTU was replaced, it will be the watercooled version.
I forgot the part#, but looking it up, confirms as such,

I thought it had gone 2011-15 sealed, 2016 fill plug added, 2017-2019 drain plug added. But I can't remember the source on that, so grain of salt and all that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought it had gone 2011-15 sealed, 2016 fill plug added, 2017-2019 drain plug added. But I can't remember the source on that, so grain of salt and all that.
Mid-2016 Ford modified the PTU...again

Mine is a March/April '16 build. The PTU's were modified again around June '16 so yours probably has the updated PTU.

Both non and watercooled versions are crap?

Yes from the sounds of it. My city's police department had three of their five '16 Interceptors have their PTU's go bad. Theirs were built around the same time as mine, two of them were district cars and one was a detective car so not driven as hard. The PTU issues along with the Carbon Monoxide leaks caused them to switch to Tahoes. Now they use the Interceptors as detail/spare cars.

Back