Aftermarket wheels | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are lots of things others have done with their wheels. I bought some paint from a high end paint company that makes countless appearance products, paint to chrome, glow in the dark, vinyl etc.

They also make paint and various things you can use to spray or brush on parts, or wheels. I haven't tried one yet, but they have lots of sales, and I bought a gallon of a metallic grey, brushable and is supposed to work well on wheels. I think it was about $80 on sale, should be satin I think, they have clear and other finishes. Browse their site, Alsa.com, just looking gives me ideas for other things.

24x9.5 +33 offset 275/30zr24 no rubbing yet. I am lowered on H&R FLex springs. Tires don’t have a lot of clearance but, not sure if I could fit anything larger.

0004E673-E79E-4B52-83FB-DDC375290F9A.jpeg

F464E903-C1B5-4BB9-BB6F-18F7F57780C2.jpeg

7AAD0061-3985-49E6-9401-E49185110028.jpeg

21x9 +38.5mm offset Volvo XC90 wheels with 275/40R21 tires (20mm wheel adapter, so effective offset is +18.5mm)
ez5qJy7.png

Hi I'm new here and my first post.
I am a member if other forums for my other cars and found them to be very helpful at times.
Time for input.
So I have a 2015 sport and want a more aggressive off-road look. I'm looking into 17 inch wheels with meatier tires but don't want to lift the vehicle.was would dering if anyone has done this and what size tires you would recommend. I would like the side walls to poke out a bit but maybe not the tread if that makes sense. Tia.

Welcome to the Forum Peter.:wave:
With a '15 Explorer you will have to go with 18" wheels. The brake size was increased part way through the 2013 production cycle. I'm not sure if by "meatier" you would include all-terrain tires. All Terrain Tires
Any change in tire size should be no more than a maximum diameter variance of 3% of the OEM tire. You can use this site to check; 255/50-R20 vs 265/60-R18 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World
There are several existing threads on tires and wheels. Becoming familiar with the Forum's 'Search' feature in the upper right can be a big help in finding those.

Peter

Anyone running 20x10's at stock height (offset around +40)?

Looked through the thread and seems like everyone's lowered that's running them. Just looking at mine it looks like 9.5" wide would be the max without ending up with some poke, but I'd really just like a flush mount setup. Any input from you guys that have been around these a little longer than I have?

Anyone running 20x10's at stock height (offset around +40)?

Looked through the thread and seems like everyone's lowered that's running them. Just looking at mine it looks like 9.5" wide would be the max without ending up with some poke, but I'd really just like a flush mount setup. Any input from you guys that have been around these a little longer than I have?

Did you ever end up finding an answer to what was a safe bet for flush at stock height?? I’m lookjng at a few 20x9.5 wheel options right now with offset between 32-40. Hoping that setup would put me flush and i “THINK” it would based on allllll of my endless reading of the wheel threads on here. But my head gets so twisted with all these numbers reading these threads that I could definitely be wrong! Lol

Just thought I would check to see if you found a satisfying answer since your goal is the same as mine!

Brandon Knapp - My wheels are 20 x 9 Fuel Assaults. they have positive poke over factory but are almost perfectly flush with my fenders at the widest point on top.

Brandon Knapp - My wheels are 20 x 9 Fuel Assaults. they have positive poke over factory but are almost perfectly flush with my fenders at the widest point on top.

What is the offset on your 20x9? I’ve also been looking at some 20x8.5 wheels and know I would need to keep the offset less than 35 to push the wheel out any further than stock. Just trying to get The right idea before I bull the trigger on whichever set of wheels I decide on. I just want to make sure I choose the right thing! Haha

Did you ever end up finding an answer to what was a safe bet for flush at stock height?? I’m lookjng at a few 20x9.5 wheel options right now with offset between 32-40. Hoping that setup would put me flush and i “THINK” it would based on allllll of my endless reading of the wheel threads on here. But my head gets so twisted with all these numbers reading these threads that I could definitely be wrong! Lol

Just thought I would check to see if you found a satisfying answer since your goal is the same as mine!

Drop a string from your wheel well opening to the ground and then measure to your tire/wheel face to see how much room you have to work with and then use - Will They Fit - Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator - to verify what wheel size and offset will get you to where you want to be (flush, slightly inset or wheel/tire poking out from wheel opening).

You should be able to add about 30-40mm of poke and still stay flush with the wheel well openings - not sure how much inset you can get away with before you might make contact with anything. I generally try not to get any closer to the inside than the factory setup without test fitting and making sure there is clearance.

Guys -
1st - I have been searching and cant find but one post and not answering my question

Question - Is anyone on here running 305/35R22's? I currently have 275/40R22's on my sport and want to go wider. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the 305's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the offset on your 20x9? I’ve also been looking at some 20x8.5 wheels and know I would need to keep the offset less than 35 to push the wheel out any further than stock. Just trying to get The right idea before I bull the trigger on whichever set of wheels I decide on. I just want to make sure I choose the right thing! Haha
My Assault wheels are 20 x 9" w and push the offset out by about a half inch over factory. I dont have factory wheels anylonger so I cannot compare them.

Back