Active Grille Shutters - Modification | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Active Grille Shutters - Modification

Strato2019

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
Callsign
KC3SXT
So I find out that I have these air shutters behind the grill that impede a future police push bars.

If anyone had put a police bar in on a non eco boost will it be possible for me to just cut the very ends of these shutters like I have circled here? Will it cause an issue

Screenshot_20190216-182526_Chrome.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I attached a link to a thread on the 'shutters' in your other post in the "modified" subforum. Here is what seems to be the purpose of the 'shutters'. • Active Grille Shutters: Upper and lower fascia openings close at highway speeds to reduce drag. At low speeds, the shutters open to deliver airflow to cool the powertrain.
If you are going to add the push bars then I don't think reducing drag is going to matter all that much.

Peter

I attached a link to a thread on the 'shutters' in your other post in the "modified" subforum. Here is what seems to be the purpose of the 'shutters'. • Active Grille Shutters: Upper and lower fascia openings close at highway speeds to reduce drag. At low speeds, the shutters open to deliver airflow to cool the powertrain.
If you are going to add the push bars then I don't think reducing drag is going to matter all that much.

Peter
Yeah I am not too concerned about reducing drags. Just want to know what would be the best way to remove them. Apparently they will throw off a code. Or if I could cut a shutter

Yeah I am not too concerned about reducing drags. Just want to know what would be the best way to remove them. Apparently they will throw off a code. Or if I could cut a shutter

I think there is a thread over on the F150 forums about removing them. Might look around there.

I think there is a thread over on the F150 forums about removing them. Might look around there.

I am actually reading the forum. They say just pull the blades out from the pivot area and it wont throw off a CEL code

I live in hot area and I would like to remove the shutter .. how can I remove it ?

Have you read the second post regarding their functionality? I wouldn't call Montreal a "hot area" and the shutters automatically open at low speed to improve cooling.
While some days may be warmer than others, the average July/August temperature is 21 C (70 F) according to a few Internet sites I checked. I'm guessing the shutters also help the engine warm up quicker in the colder temperatures, which you have a lot more of, by keeping the shutters closed for longer periods of time.

Peter

Sorry montreal still appears as my location

I moved to Saudi Arabia and I exported my car from montreal.

Sorry montreal still appears as my location

I moved to Saudi Arabia and I exported my car from montreal.
That makes a bit of a difference.:thumbsup:

Back