Building a Reliable 2005 3rd Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building a Reliable 2005 3rd Gen

bener

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
3.0 Diesel Toyota Surf
Hi there,

I've been doing a bunch of research here in New Zealand, as my goal is to replace my rather unsafe 1996 Toyota Surf with something safer for the family and still capable off-road.

The Explorer ticks all the boxes for me - side airbags, good safety rating, heaps of room etc.

My concern is building a reliable Explorer - from my research the main concerns seem to be transmission, rear diff and wheel bearings.

If I was to get a good condition, low mileage 2005 Explorer and upgrade trans with the aj1e kit and a trans cooler, service the rear diff immediately, and do bearings as needed, would I be avoiding the most major issues?

Also, can any of you comment on 4.6 v8 performance? I haven't test driven one yet, but a customer of mine said he didn't buy one as it felt way underpowered. It doesn't need to be a rocket but if it's a slug it'll be extra hungry on fuel!

I know there are other small issues like the door open sensors etc, but I just want to build something that won't get me stranded! Some places where I go to surf are tide affected and getting a breakdown could mean getting stuck in the tide!

I've done a lot of reading, especially on this forum, but I'd love some real owner/enthusiast advice!

Edit: I'll be running all terrain tyres, maybe with a slight lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've already got one! 1996 Toyota Surf, it's the NZ version of a 4runner, with a 3 litre diesel. Awesome vehicle but it's got a terrible safety rating, which is a concern now that we have young children!

Really, to start reliably is to start with a 2006 or newer or even better; don't buy a Ford.

By today standards the 4.6 2V is a real dog and thirsty for fuel.

By standards 20 years ago the 5r55w is pure crap.

Wow I'm totally surprised with the responses so far, I knew there were issues but I thought they were fixable! Thanks for the info!

After 3rd Gen Explorers were never made in right hand drive, so they aren't imported to NZ.

A lot of the Fords over here a renowned for reliability - the Ford Falcon is an unstoppable beast that will do 1,000,000kms without a worry.

I've already got one! 1996 Toyota Surf, it's the NZ version of a 4runner, with a 3 litre diesel. Awesome vehicle but it's got a terrible safety rating, which is a concern now that we have young children!

I'm referring to 2010 or newer. Which a 2010 is already about to be 10 years old in a Year...any older and you're asking for problems...

Thanks for the response - the 3rd gen Surf/4runner is one of the best you can get, my only concern is safety, otherwise I'd gladly keep it forever.

My current build is absolutely bulletproof, but it only has front airbags, and minimal side impact protection.

THat's weird, you come to an Explorer forum asking for advice on how to get the most out of an Explorer and the consensus is "Explorers suck, get something else"

I have 295,000 KM on mine. Changed the engine at 225K (low oil) but otherwise evertthing else is holding up well.

It's a 2V 4.6 and with 3.73 rear axle i think it's pretty quick.

Yeah I thought it was strange too but I appreciated the advice either way. Thanks for adding to the conversation!

Just giving honest opinions. If one is mechanically inclined and doesn't mind fixing stupid issues and silly assemblies then by all means pick up an explorer.
If you are going to rely on mechanics for all the work and expect a reliable car, look elsewhere.

My own Ford fanatic shop mechanic uncle wanted me to buy a Chevy/GMC Trailblazer/Envoy above all else. All he does is oil changes for his clients and they go 200k+ miles easy. 3rd gen explorers he is always fixing issues; weak transmissions, weak bearings...

PLUS: there is a reason that the 2002 Ford Explorer is the worst car of all time according to CarComplaints.com

Yeah I definitely appreciate that Joe, I do almost all mechanical work myself, but I'd prefer to be doing preventative maintenance than fixing issues when things break, especially when they could potentially get me stranded.

Just giving honest opinions. If one is mechanically inclined and doesn't mind fixing stupid issues and silly assemblies then by all means pick up an explorer.
If you are going to rely on mechanics for all the work and expect a reliable car, look elsewhere.

My own Ford fanatic shop mechanic uncle wanted me to buy a Chevy/GMC Trailblazer/Envoy above all else. All he does is oil changes for his clients and they go 200k+ miles easy. 3rd gen explorers he is always fixing issues; weak transmissions, weak bearings...

PLUS: there is a reason that the 2002 Ford Explorer is the worst car of all time according to CarComplaints.com
The Trailblazer is a trash can on wheels. My mom had one since it was brand new and spent WAY more in repairs than I did on my Second gen Mounty. My Mounty was already over the 100k mark when the trailblazer was brand new.

I guess that I must be lucky with my "02". I have around 120,000 miles on it and have not had any major issues. I have always oiled it and have looked after most issues myself. Sure I have replaced every wheel bearing and misc. suspension components over the years. If my transmission went out tomorrow I would not hesitate to have it repaired. Not sure how much longer I will need this vehicle as I need it for towing but to replace it with the same towing capacity and features I would be close to $100,000 Canadian new. And I have no desire to own a gigantic pick up truck that I cannot even carry a 2 x 4 without it sticking out the back.

Over three years I built a 30''x 52" two story barn with materials almost exclusively hauled in a large tandem trailer behind the Explorer.

I am old enough to remember when you were always tinkering with a vehicle to keep it in tune and were lucky to get 100,000 miles out of any vehicle. They usually rusted out or you were tired of the cost of the mechanical repairs like valve jobs.

I guess that I must be lucky with my "02". I have around 120,000 miles on it and have not had any major issues. I have always oiled it and have looked after most issues myself. Sure I have replaced every wheel bearing and misc. suspension components over the years. If my transmission went out tomorrow I would not hesitate to have it repaired. Not sure how much longer I will need this vehicle as I need it for towing but to replace it with the same towing capacity and features I would be close to $100,000 Canadian new. And I have no desire to own a gigantic pick up truck that I cannot even carry a 2 x 4 without it sticking out the back.

Over three years I built a 30''x 52" two story barn with materials almost exclusively hauled in a large tandem trailer behind the Explorer.

I am old enough to remember when you were always tinkering with a vehicle to keep it in tune and were lucky to get 100,000 miles out of any vehicle. They usually rusted out or you were tired of the cost of the mechanical repairs like valve jobs.
I guarantee you could replace an 02 Explorer for WAY less than 100,000.

I think a little bit of bad experience can really distort our impressions. So apparently the 3rd gen explorer has a lousy transmission but lots of people (like me) get 200,000 trouble free miles.

Sure, Toyota trucks have incredible longevity but for the price of a comparable 4Runner i can buy by a 15 year old explorer and rebuild the engine and trans.

I would love to see an answer to the OP's original question.

I know nothing about the transmission and wheel bearings because mine have never given me any trouble but it makes sense to me that if you address the known (or perceived) weaknesses you'd be left wit ha pretty good truck for a lot less than a Toyota.

This conversation is getting interesting now! Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Carcomplaints.com is a bit misleading because it’s based on total complaints, instead of complaints per # of vehicles sold. This data will inheriently tell you that America’s most popular cars are its most problematic. This may be the case occasionally, but normalizing the data would quickly point out the dogs.

That being said, the 3rd gen Explorer isn’t the most reliable thing out there.

Carcomplaints.com is a bit misleading because it’s based on total complaints, instead of complaints per # of vehicles sold. This data will inheriently tell you that America’s most popular cars are its most problematic. This may be the case occasionally, but normalizing the data would quickly point out the dogs.

That being said, the 3rd gen Explorer isn’t the most reliable thing out there.

Not to mention the first build year of a new generation always has problems...Always get the last model year of a generation. 2005 for 3rd gen, 2010 for 4th gen.

Might be a good idea to buy a wrecked 2010 and transfer as many compatible parts as possible to a 3rd gen...

I guarantee you could replace an 02 Explorer for WAY less than 100,000.

Since the current Explorers do not have the required towing capacity or 4wd with hi-lo I did a build on a Chevrolet Tahoe which would be in the $85,000 range. Ford Expedition is just a bit too big and even more expensive.
I remember when I bought my 02 in 05 it was $55-$60 to buy new. I paid close to $30,000 in 05 for my current 02 Explorer with about 47,000 miles on it. This is in Canadian dollars and after tax etc. Can probably knock off 30% for US currency.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This conversation is getting interesting now! Thanks for all the comments everyone!

I'd love to know more about the market where you are. Are These trucks cheap and plentiful like they are here?

Back