16 Explorer XLT Push Button Start Problems!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

16 Explorer XLT Push Button Start Problems!!

Well another odd ball question - does this happen mostly in the say fall and winter. IE when it warmed up for a short period did the problem go away?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My loaner car does this. Sorry I'm no help but now I know I'm not crazy.

Well another odd ball question - does this happen mostly in the say fall and winter. IE when it warmed up for a short period did the problem go away?
If anything its oddly been the opposite, the past few months of our winter is when it stopped being an issue

I wonder if maybe your start push button is actually going bad- is bad.

I mean it might be that simple too - but I think that would show up in a command log if forscan can read that. IE reading while attempting to start - you're pressing the button but no start command is sent, no other conditions to prevent it. Then while still reading 10'th button press shows start command, and car starts. well the button is bad.

Shelton - I'm not all that up on forscan and what it can read. Do you know if it can read conditions like - KEY IN CAR, and Push button start request.

Or maybe even you press the button and it happens to trigger twice. so it sends a start command followed immediately but a off command which would appear to the user as if the car just doesn't start.

Point is - there are a few things that can trigger it

I wonder if maybe your start push button is actually going bad- is bad.

I mean it might be that simple too - but I think that would show up in a command log if forscan can read that. IE reading while attempting to start - you're pressing the button but no start command is sent, no other conditions to prevent it. Then while still reading 10'th button press shows start command, and car starts. well the button is bad.

Shelton - I'm not all that up on forscan and what it can read. Do you know if it can read conditions like - KEY IN CAR, and Push button start request.

Or maybe even you press the button and it happens to trigger twice. so it sends a start command followed immediately but a off command which would appear to the user as if the car just doesn't start.

Point is - there are a few things that can trigger it

Ill add in also, it happens with remote start... Ill send remote start from keyfob, ill get a green signal back. However i walk down and the car isnt running. I know it is \ was in state

My 2013 Ford Ex Ltd has the exact same issue. I took it to a Ford dealer (Long-Lewis) in Hoover, AL and they could not find anything at all. I've never had a vehicle where a dealer could not repair. Their answer was we could not find an issue. It started 26 times in row, we test drove, had it on the computer with a senior tech and found no issues.I took to an independent service shop with good reputation and they found no issues. I think my only option is to trade while the computer checks show all normal but I would rather fix what is wrong as to not get another vehicle. Maybe one of you guys on this forum will find a solution soon.

Mark

Welcome to the Forum Mark.:wave:
How many times did you experience this problem? Seeing as no one has been able to find any problems, perhaps it has cleared itself. The Start/Stop ignition button has not been an issue here.

Peter

Might just be a defective button.:dunno: You can try remote starting to see if the issue is still there.

Peter

I tried remote same deal. My issue started about 3 months ago, I have 141k miles on it now. I found than when the issue arises I just let it sit for 30 minutes and then it starts like nothing was ever wrong. I even called AAA twice and when the tow truck gets their it starts right up. Its very odd no one has found a solution. Makes want to never buy a Ford again.

Well that eliminates the Start/Stop button. When you press that button, do hear anything at all? Clicking? As I mentioned, this has not been a problem with the Explorer but given all the electronics in them, it doesn't take much to have an issue come up.

Peter

Back