List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 53 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Am I to understand that Ford is supplying painted hoods to dealers,or is Ford paying for 3rd party body shops to do it? My wife’s 17 Ex is just now experiencing a small bubble on the leading edge of the hood.

Ford does not send painted parts like doors, bumpers, hoods etc. The only painted part I am not sure about is side view mirrors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tom, my Ford dealer called and said I was getting a new painted hood installed. I guess that my Ford dealer got the hood and had it painted. It had to be another body shop because they closed theirs and leasing the space to a body shop.
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping Ford would supply a painted hood because of the better finish quality of a factory paint job vs body shops(orange peel).

If anyone is interested, the Facebook page Ford/Mercury Peeling Paint Complaints is having an attorney that is interested in moving forward with a class action case. You will have to join them to comment. There is a lot of complaints there about the bubbling hoods on the Explorers.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping Ford would supply a painted hood because of the better finish quality of a factory paint job vs body shops(orange peel).
I got my Explorer back this morning with a new hood, paint and Explorer lettering.I droped it off at the dealership Sunday night. They also had to replace the left side seat heater,both front doors weather stripping and they replaced the left side roof rack cover. It was ready yesterday afternoon but I couldn’t pick it up until today. I had approached the dealership prepared with all the info I got from this thread expecting a fight. Thank you everyone for the info I needed but the dealership said ok right away after looking at the hood. They have Explorer hoods in stock and painted it in their own body shop. They also put the label on the underside of the hood without me asking. They only had to order the Explorer letters and needed the car for two days. It looks great they even painted a spot on the fender lip in the engine bay that only had primer on it. Everything was covered under warranty. I am very happy with this dealership and its body shop’s handling of this. Finally a dealership treating a customer like they’re supposed to. Good luck to everyone going though this issue. I hope you have adealership as good as this.

E43727F5-0EA0-4A83-9ED1-65D5544BDAD7.jpeg

I got my Explorer back this morning with a new hood, paint and Explorer lettering.I droped it off at the dealership Sunday night. They also had to replace the left side seat heater,both front doors weather stripping and they replaced the left side roof rack cover. It was ready yesterday afternoon but I couldn’t pick it up until today. I had approached the dealership prepared with all the info I got from this thread expecting a fight. Thank you everyone for the info I needed but the dealership said ok right away after looking at the hood. They have Explorer hoods in stock and painted it in their own body shop. They also put the label on the underside of the hood without me asking. They only had to order the Explorer letters and needed the car for two days. It looks great they even painted a spot on the fender lip in the engine bay that only had primer on it. Everything was covered under warranty. I am very happy with this dealership and its body shop’s handling of this. Finally a dealership treating a customer like they’re supposed to. Good luck to everyone going though this issue. I hope you have adealership as good as this.

View attachment 169048
Isn't it mind boggling the amount of inconsistency, from one dealership to the next?
Always good to hear a good story like this!

You can add me to the list of bubbling paint...*sigh*

I was cleaning the Explorer the other day and while I was drying the hood I noticed it. It has not come all the way over to the visible side, just behind and on the lip. I was being curious and I pushed on some of the bubbles and a few of them popped like a zit and a silverish goo came out:confused: very odd.

So on the next service, I am going to have the dealer look at it.

I have a theory, that large rubber seal that runs along the lip of the hood tends to hold a lot of water and I am thinking that is one of the causes of this. Now I always take the time to dry this area, but there is only so much one can do.

You can add me to the list of bubbling paint...*sigh*

I was cleaning the Explorer the other day and while I was drying the hood I noticed it. It has not come all the way over to the visible side, just behind and on the lip. I was being curious and I pushed on some of the bubbles and a few of them popped like a zit and a silverish goo came out:confused: very odd.

So on the next service, I am going to have the dealer look at it.

I have a theory, that large rubber seal that runs along the lip of the hood tends to hold a lot of water and I am thinking that is one of the causes of this. Now I always take the time to dry this area, but there is only so much one can do.
Good theory, but Ford's poor quality is the real reason.
When I had the EX, the bubbles were all under the clear vinyl wrap that was installed at the dealership on delivery.

Good theory, but Ford's poor quality is the real reason.
When I had the EX, the bubbles were all under the clear vinyl wrap that was installed at the dealership on delivery.

Wait until the doors start to rust, and the tail gate near the drain holes. I bought 60 bucks worth of touch up last fall and some Por15 to put as a base coat. It has held off most of the advancement of its condition.

Ford is going to replace my hood after Easter. Hopefully it will turn out. I’m using their body shop.

Add me to the list of hood paint victims.

Apparently its a chemical reaction from the stamping process of the hood, trapped in the hem flange, worse on the inside. They were shipping new hoods to dealers for painting but couldn't keep up so now your hood gets sanded and painted even though the issue is still there.

I hope these are in the right thread so the Forum Police don't delete my pics!
Explorer RUST 3.jpeg
Explorer RUST 1.jpeg

Explorer RUST 2.jpeg

Add me to the list of hood paint victims.

Apparently its a chemical reaction from the stamping process of the hood, trapped in the hem flange, worse on the inside. They were shipping new hoods to dealers for painting but couldn't keep up so now your hood gets sanded and painted even though the issue is still there.

Ah, so that is why mine has started on the inside....very interesting. Thank you for sharing!

Wait until the doors start to rust, and the tail gate near the drain holes. I bought 60 bucks worth of touch up last fall and some Por15 to put as a base coat. It has held off most of the advancement of its condition.
Yup and thankfully not my problem anymore, but I wished my colleague all the best and gave him a free touch up pen also.

Yup and thankfully not my problem anymore, but I wished my colleague all the best and gave him a free touch up pen also.

Probably getting rid of mine, too. No more Ford for me until they get their paint quality under control. I feel bad for those that spend 40k, 50k and have them rust after 3 to 4 years. Poor quality

Probably getting rid of mine, too. No more Ford for me until they get their paint quality under control. I feel bad for those that spend 40k, 50k and have them rust after 3 to 4 years. Poor quality
The problem isn't the paint. Also if you are referring to the hood, it' not rust but corrosion. In either case, it is a mistake that should have been addressed much better and much sooner.

Peter

The problem isn't the paint. Also if you are referring to the hood, it' not rust but corrosion. In either case, it is a mistake that should have been addressed much better and much sooner.

Peter

No, the tailgate and doors rust, just like every other Ford I have had. Lack of seam sealer, contribute to paint failure and ultimately rust.

No, the tailgate and doors rust, just like every other Ford I have had. Lack of seam sealer, contribute to paint failure and ultimately rust.
I can concur this also, as the passenger door sil were also starting to rust and the cause was due to lack of paint, which was rubbing away by the door seal.
Ford said it was normal wear and tear, as the door seal making contact with the door sil isn't a quality issue :dunno:

I can concur this also, as the passenger door sil were also starting to rust and the cause was due to lack of paint, which was rubbing away by the door seal.
Ford said it was normal wear and tear, as the door seal making contact with the door sil isn't a quality issue :dunno:

I passed this on to my contact at CAP, such BS.

My 2017 has corrosion on hood caused by a known chemical reaction of the stamping process when hood Hem flange is made........gee do ya think they could figure that process out from 2011 to 2017?......NOPE!

My 2yr old Explorer has rust on both front doors, rust on the liftgate, corrosion on the hood, parts of the exhaust system is rusted, some brake components have rust.

Wife's 2016 Jeep GC Overland Altitude black paint is perfect, no exhaust rust, no brake rust, same outdoor conditions.

I passed this on to my contact at CAP, such BS.

My 2017 has corrosion on hood caused by a known chemical reaction of the stamping process when hood Hem flange is made........gee do ya think they could figure that process out from 2011 to 2017?......NOPE!

My 2yr old Explorer has rust on both front doors, rust on the liftgate, corrosion on the hood, parts of the exhaust system is rusted, some brake components have rust.

Wife's 2016 Jeep GC Overland Altitude black paint is perfect, no exhaust rust, no brake rust, same outdoor conditions.

Is contact new at CAP?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone out there experience the paint bubbling on the front of the hood? We have a 2016 Explorer with only 24,000 miles on it but 4 months out of the 36,000/3 year factory warranty. We just noticed the paint bubbling at the bottom front of the hood. I've been googling this issue and it seems to be a chronic problem and Ford, if its out of warranty, seems to just throw their hands up and say sorry we won't cover it. Anyone else having this problem. We had a similar problem back in 94 with a GMC Jimmy but GMC stepped up and painted the entire vehicle.

Back