Stalling when in Gear along with Flickering Lights | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stalling when in Gear along with Flickering Lights

do what you want to do im just trying to help you trouble shoot your issue.... this problem should have never made it off 15 comments..... if you find the noise you find the problem..... good luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the alternator and have it tested. I've replaced mine and don't remember it being any big deal - it's at the top.
If the problem was that the belt is too loose, then it would run with the belt on just as it does with the belt off. My suggestion to pull the belt was to see if you had a problem with a driven pulley or accessory - not a problem with the belt itself. I'm leaning heavily toward the alternator at this point. As mentioned above, it isn't just that it dies and quits charging. It can also overcharge, put out AC instead of DC, or the bearings can lock up. It ran with the belt off - that should tell you that you have a problem with something that is DRIVEN by the belt - not the belt itself.
And make sure that you have it routed correctly. There is a diagram in the owners manual.

If you are so convinced it’s just the belt, then change the belt.
Wow, thanks! I didn't think about that!
I made that statement because regardless of others telling you it is most likely not the belt, you remained focused on that belt. I was not trying to be sarcastic.

Pull the alternator and have it tested. I've replaced mine and don't remember it being any big deal - it's at the top.
If the problem was that the belt is too loose, then it would run with the belt on just as it does with the belt off. My suggestion to pull the belt was to see if you had a problem with a driven pulley or accessory - not a problem with the belt itself. I'm leaning heavily toward the alternator at this point. As mentioned above, it isn't just that it dies and quits charging. It can also overcharge, put out AC instead of DC, or the bearings can lock up. It ran with the belt off - that should tell you that you have a problem with something that is DRIVEN by the belt - not the belt itself.
And make sure that you have it routed correctly. There is a diagram in the owners manual.
Yeah I'm going to pull it off within the next few hours and get it up there to be tested. I can't keep the engine running long enough and don't have a helper at the moment so I can't really test it at home. I'll post the results.
Do you think it's possible that the alternator is also making that noise?
Everything is routed correctly as well.

Ok, alternator tested fine 6 different times.
Where are we at now?

do what you want to do im just trying to help you trouble shoot your issue.... this problem should have never made it off 15 comments..... if you find the noise you find the problem..... good luck
Well, looks like the alternator is fine.

I still think you have a bad pulley or accessory somewhere.

I still think you have a bad pulley or accessory somewhere.
So what do you recommend? I have turned each one of them and they all turn fairly easily. No grinding.

1. Make sure the belt is routed correctly.
2. With the belt off, try to spin every accessory applying some pressure on the pulleys at the same time.
3. With the belt on, have a helper crank the motor using breaker bar at the crankshaft, and observe/touch all the accessories as the belt is moving.

If you run it again with the belt on make sure the air conditioner is off - including defrost.

If you run it again with the belt on make sure the air conditioner is off - including defrost.
That's how I normally have been running it. Are you just saying make sure I don't leave it running? I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean.

2. With the belt off, try to spin every accessory applying some pressure on the pulleys at the same time.
3. With the belt on, have a helper crank the motor using breaker bar at the crankshaft, and observe/touch all the accessories as the belt is moving.
Going to do all of this now. I'll let you know the results.
I have felt them all without the belt so far and they all feel fine. I will try #3 though and get back to you.

That's how I normally have been running it. Are you just saying make sure I don't leave it running? I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean.
Just making sure that the A/C isn't on - there is a big difference between engaged and not engaged at the pulley. Reminding you to run it with the A/C and that includes defrost mode - not everyone understands that the compressor is engaged in defrost mode.

I haven't had a helper yet to help me crank the motor while I check all the pulleys. But I have checked them all by hand quite a few times and they seem to be ok. Shouldn't it be pretty noticeable if something wasn't turning correctly?

Well I have pretty much checked all the pulleys extensively. The only one that seems to be the slightest bit wobbly is the belt idler pulley #6 in the picture. With the belt off #6 has a very small amount of play in it. You can wiggle it back and forth just a hair. When the engine is running though you can't even see it moving. Do you think that's enough to stall the engine? Here's a few videos of the pulleys.
Streamable - free video publishing

2012-03-01_200143_100.jpg

No, that would not stall that engine. I am dealing with a slightly wobbly idler on my wife's Murano but it runs just fine.
I can't believe we can't figure this out. It's got to be something simple.
What if you start the engine with belt off and put it in gear. If some small load/resistance stalls it, then the tranny would stall it as well.

No, that would not stall that engine. I am dealing with a slightly wobbly idler on my wife's Murano but it runs just fine.
What if you start the engine with belt off and put it in gear. If some small load/resistance stalls it, then the tranny would stall it as well.
Doing that now will post the video within 5 minutes

Well this is strange . Now it won't even stay running without the belt. It did the other day though. Now this is what I'm getting .

This was the first time I cranked it.
The other day it stayed running with the belt off for almost a minute before I shut it off. Now it shuts off immediately. I'm pretty lost .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now I'm looking back at the codes I'm getting. They are P0012 and P0016. Both Crank/Camshaft codes. They have been there for months while the vehicle was running. So I'm not sure that's what is stalling the engine.
But at this point I'm out of ideas. It starts and stalls pretty much immediately as seen in the videos.
Thanks and hopefully we can get this figured out. I've been borrowing rides for the past month. Need to fix it!

Back