• Register Today It's free!

Tire recommendation

Arne52101

Reaction score
City, State
Decorah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Eddie bauer 06 4.0l
Last year I purchased a new set of 4 hankook tires, tires are holding up good, however they are God awful
noisy and I can't take it any longer. Mainly highway driving here and I need something quiet, are touring tires available for the Explorer? Don't use it for off road use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What size are you? There were 4 different stock sizes on 4th gen Explorers

My truck came originally with the BF good rich rugged Trails in that size, and I thought they were exceptionally quiet. When it was time for a replacement I went with Goodyear Forterra’s because they were significantly cheaper and I was also very pleased with those. I will be ordering another set of four of these tires soon

Michelin Defender LTX M/S is a great choice. I had the previous model, Michelin LTX M/S. They were quiet, wore like iron, and improved the ride in my 96 a lot. I only got rid of them due to age.

General Grabbers. Priced right, quiet but aggressive tread. Great traction in weather rain or snow.

I bought a set of 4 Kumho Crugen HT51's, and have had them for about 6000 miles now. Absolutely love them, and they are really quiet. I actually ordered them on-line - - WalMart turned out to be the best price, and when they got delivered to one of their tire centers, they installed them pretty inexpensively. But you can order the tires on-line from many different retailers.

I just switched to Continentals SureContact Ecoplus . So far worked awesome in rain and snow. Wear very good too. 70,000 mileage warranty.
Kinda pricey if you don't get a discount. Changed the size to 265/60x18 from the 235/65x18 1/2" increase in height.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S is a great choice. I had the previous model, Michelin LTX M/S. They were quiet, wore like iron, and improved the ride in my 96 a lot. I only got rid of them due to age.

I can second the LTX Defenders, they've been quiet and grip well in the snow. I'm not one to change tires for the different seasons so I've found them to be a solid all-year tire.

I run Michelin premier Ltx all seasons during the summer, very quite and good all weather performance. I run a set of Nokian Hakka 9s In the winter.

Back