Top 5 Mods for a Sport | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Top 5 Mods for a Sport

I would have to agree the tune is the #1 mod to these explorer sports. Just off a tune you can pick up 60+awhp. Then adding intake and more importantly 3 bar map sensor for higher rpm performance. I also agree on lowering kit for handling. If you guys have any questions message us or call us at 313-561-5500

What kind of tune do you pick 60+? 87/91/93? Performance/towing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would have to agree the tune is the #1 mod to these explorer sports. Just off a tune you can pick up 60+awhp. Then adding intake and more importantly 3 bar map sensor for higher rpm performance. I also agree on lowering kit for handling. If you guys have any questions message us or call us at 313-561-5500

is there an updated tune for a 2019 sport? what about a leased vehicle? what kind of risk is their on engine tune? is it easy to restore factory settings?

also, why wouldnt Ford adjust their factory tune for some significant performance improvements that seem to be fairly risk free? it'd be huge for their marketing and sales for that type of improvement claim. thanks.

is there an updated tune for a 2019 sport? what about a leased vehicle? what kind of risk is their on engine tune? is it easy to restore factory settings?

also, why wouldnt Ford adjust their factory tune for some significant performance improvements that seem to be fairly risk free? it'd be huge for their marketing and sales for that type of improvement claim. thanks.
Probably the main reason they aren't aggressive in tuning is the fact that a majority of the customer base is soccer moms so being aggressive doesn't make a lot of sense. That being said they do realize there is some gain potentials, and market it as their "ST" version for those who do want higher performance.

Probably the main reason they aren't aggressive in tuning is the fact that a majority of the customer base is soccer moms so being aggressive doesn't make a lot of sense.
I've seen more women driving F-150's around here than Explorers. None of the men that I know who own Explorers have them tuned. I personally don't see a need for it myself. I find it has plenty of power (Ecoboost) for my purpose and don't feel a need to drive aggressively. There are more than enough of those types of drivers on the road already.

Peter

Performance mods...
The single biggest bang-for-the-buck mod is a tune. Add a 3-bar MAP and t-stat for a few more ponies. After that, intake and exhaust will squeeze a little bit more out, plus make it sound more beastly.

Caliper covers vs. paint is a personal preference matter. IMO, the stock calipers are ugly in shape and finish, no matter what color you paint them. I went with MGP covers ( red with black "EXPLORER" lettering - without the fake bolt heads), and still love them 9 months later. They look great (IMO), and are super easy to keep clean. I have not yet seen a set of painted calipers on an Ex that I like the look of. As I said, it's personal preference.
T3WVaQE.jpg

Some people have argued that the covers reduce braking performance due to excess heat. However, it's an assumption, and not one person I've seen make that argument has been able to back those claims up with factual information, or have any personal experience with the product. In my own experience, and discussing the issue with other MGP cover users, not one of us has noticed ANY reduction in braking performance, or any signs of other heat-related brake issues.
Looking sharp. Im looking for those same red “explorer” caliper covers without the fake bolts but i only find the ones that come with the fake bolts. Do you have a link of where you got them from?

Old thread being revived. Nice! I must've missed it back in the day.

Anyway, I try to chronicle all my mods on my blog:

You'll see most everything I've done. And still lots to go.

As for tuner, I could never, in good conscience, recommend Livernois. Do yourself a favor and steer clear...

Back