Stalling when in Gear along with Flickering Lights | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stalling when in Gear along with Flickering Lights

I went back out there today and gave it a start without the belt on and here's the video.
It stayed running just fine, even when in reverse and drive. It seemed to be idling high though.
Now I've noticed that the power steering pulley has just a little bit of looseness to it too. It will pull in and out just a little bit. And the squeal is also coming from the same general area. I can't pinpoint the noise though, I've tried. - VID_20190315_125953750 - Streamable
After that video I took I put the belt back on and now it continues to stall within seconds, unless I press the gas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your engine is running very rough it should not be moving that much. you said you replaced the intake gaskets are you sure there is no intake/vacuum leak? If there is then that could explain the stalling. what i am thinking is that if the leak is big enough the engine is running lean and any load that is put on the engine stalls it.

Your engine is running very rough it should not be moving that much. you said you replaced the intake gaskets are you sure there is no intake/vacuum leak? If there is then that could explain the stalling. what i am thinking is that if the leak is big enough the engine is running lean and any load that is put on the engine stalls it.
I was able to put it in drive and reverse and actually drive a few feet without any issues. Don't you think if it were a leak it would stall in drive or no? I don't think it's a vacuum leak just because I've never been able to find one with tons of searching.
It has always shaken quite a bit, I'm pretty sure it has had bad motor mounts for a while now.

In theory the car should stall when you put in gear. go on youtube and listen to the 4.6 v8 and yours is running rough. I think the v8 has an idle air control valve but i don't know if that could cause these issues.

The bare wire on the cam sensor did you find that before or after you replaced it?
and you also said you have an ignition g code what was it?

In theory the car should stall when you put in gear. go on youtube and listen to the 4.6 v8 and yours is running rough. I think the v8 has an idle air control valve but i don't know if that could cause these issues.

The bare wire on the cam sensor did you find that before or after you replaced it?
and you also said you have an ignition g code what was it?
I dont think it does have an IAC on this one. If it does it's mounted to the throttle body and supposedly not serviceable by itself.
I found that bare wire on the cam sensor while I was trying to solve the P0012 and P0016. I haven't replaced a cam sensor. But I have switched them around to see if my codes switch to bank 2. Which they dont..
The ignition coil code was something like P0354

You are correct no IAC on electronic throttles.

The power steering pump pulley seems to be a bit hard to turn. It's actually easier to turn one way, then when I turn it clockwise its quite stiff. It also moves in and out a little bit. Check out the video. - Streamable - free video publishing
It's also in the same area as the whining noise you can hear in previous videos.
Also, the last time I got it to drive around the block for 5 minutes the power steering was going in and out, almost like it was the belt slipping around the pulley every few seconds or so. Along with stalling out while slowing down and turning, although I didn't hear pump whining noises.

how did all the other pulleys feel when you spun them by hand when the belt was off.... one of them or more has to be really hard to turn.... you are driving many pulleys they all but the crank should be easy to turn by hand
The power steering pump pulley turns out to be a bit hard to turn. It will turn easily for a second then get stiff. The power steering was going in and out the last time I got it to drive for a few minutes. And it would stall while slowing down to take a turn. I got the power steering pump pulled off and am about to go get a new one. Pulley and all. Just to go ahead and eliminate that.
What do you think?

In place of an IAC the electronic throttle body does an idle calibration after a PCM reset. If that TB is dirty the throttle plate may be closed up more than it should be with gunk from years of PCV and EGR blowing past it.
Pull off the TB and clean it. There are instructions online.

Well this is strange . Now it won't even stay running without the belt. It did the other day though. Now this is what I'm getting .

I went back out there today and gave it a start without the belt on and here's the video.
It stayed running just fine, even when in reverse and drive.

You understand how difficult it is for us to help you right?

We cannot see or touch your vehicle - you have been given excellent advice to troubleshoot your problem. You have to take some responsibility for it at some point. If it is beyond your capability to fix, then you take it somewhere that it can be fixed - and you pay them to do it.

In place of an IAC the electronic throttle body does an idle calibration after a PCM reset. If that TB is dirty the throttle plate may be closed up more than it should be with gunk from years of PCV and EGR blowing past it.
Pull off the TB and clean it. There are instructions online.
I have cleaned it recently, and I pulled it off yesterday and wiped it out a little bit. It should be good I think.

You understand how difficult it is for us to help you right?

We cannot see or touch your vehicle - you have been given excellent advice to troubleshoot your problem. You have to take some responsibility for it at some point. If it is beyond your capability to fix, then you take it somewhere that it can be fixed - and you pay them to do it.
Yeah I have no doubt. I have attempted every troubleshooting procedure I have been told. I don't think my issue it anything beyond my capability. I'm just having trouble actually finding what the problem is. Is there any information I have been leaving out?

Question - are you doing all this testing with the air snorkle in place or removed? If removed then you are bypassing your MAF sensor.

Question - are you doing all this testing with the air snorkle in place or removed? If removed then you are bypassing your MAF sensor.
In place. I haven't tried it without. If you are talking about the air intake.

One more crazy idea - I had my 4.6 stalling anytime in gear because my torque converter was locked up but your stalls even in park ?

One more crazy idea - I had my 4.6 stalling anytime in gear because my torque converter was locked up but your stalls even in park ?
Yes it stalls even in park. Unless I press the gas pedal with the right amount of luck

The power steering pump being a little bit hard to turn is the only thing I can thing of that could be adding to much drag to the belt. It is a bit hard to turn the pulley by hand and the power steering was choppy while I drove it for the 5 minutes it would drive. The pulley also pushed in and out a little bit. Is this enough to replace it? I'm considering just changing the entire pump because it comes with the pulley attached. (I'm only doing this because it seems alot of you believe something is hard to turn causing too much drag.) Let me know if I should do otherwise.

What do you think about my last comment about the power steering pump pulley?

Has it ever gone back to running OK with the belt off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has it ever gone back to running OK with the belt off?
Yes, it stayed running yesterday without the belt. I was even able to put it in reverse and drive with it still running.

Back