2016+ low speed surging | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016+ low speed surging

Do you just drive like an ass to clear it out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our 2017 has been doing this since we bought it in March of 2017. We've just learned to live with it. The service manager where we bought it said it was turbo lag! So we knew at that point he had zero mechanical knowledge.

A quick update on the surging issue. I purchased and replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and nothing changed. All plugs have been replaced as well as the transmission fluid, still surges. All intake sensors have been cleaned, they weren't dirty in the first place. Just doing a lot of reading about others having issues. Nothing has changed. Never does it when cold. Thinking of purchasing something to data log all engine inputs, does ForScan to data logging. Anyone else have any clue. Haven't gotten to the intercooler yet but many say it's too small in the Explorer to cause any issues.

I said I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor above, I actually replaced the whole Throttle Body. Didn't change a thing.

I said I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor above, I actually replaced the whole Throttle Body. Didn't change a thing.
Read that part about the sensor but didn't know if that included the throttle body itself.

Peter

My 17 Platinum does that surging thing too during slow acceleration like pulling out of a parking space.
It is usually gone within 5 seconds.
One way to avoid it is simply step on the gas a bit harder, if it is safe to do so.
:)

ATTENTION: Fellow Explorer Owners, my wife’s Explorer has had the issue since we purchased it new. It has been at the dealership for repair many times, enough to qualify as a “Lemon”, being a retired quality engineer, I pressed the issue all the way to the Regional Factory customer relations manager. You’ll be amazed at what their excuse was. I have in writing that: “These observations reflect normal operation”, so if you have paid your dealer one penny to fix the issue, you have a case for fraud by both the dealership and Ford. If anyone is interested, I’ll post the complete response. We’re not finished with this issue.

I ended up trading mine in. What a piece of crap, very disappointed in Ford. Roof rail cover blew off on freeway, front window side trim blew off on side road, driver door trim fell off in parking lot, rear door hinges leaked water inside, surging issue that no one seemed to know how to fix, GPS and Sync system laggy or not working at all, rear seat adjustment motor died, front hood paint bubbling, etc. So happy to be done with this car.

Were the repairs made at a Ford dealership? If they were, you should be refunded all of your costs. It’s a Ford issue, and they should have communicated the details to all of their dealerships. I have a written statement from Ford that it’s a known issue.

Were the repairs made at a Ford dealership? If they were, you should be refunded all of your costs. It’s a Ford issue, and they should have communicated the details to all of their dealerships. I have a written statement from Ford that it’s a known issue.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm sure that there can be more than a single cause for "surging". A tech would have to investigate to see if there is something other than the "normal" condition that may be causing it. In that case an invoice would be issued just as it would for any diagnostic work..

Peter

I agree, but they said there was no fix, and we have to just live with it. The engineers plugged it into their diagnostic computer that had several screens of data and hundreds of data collection points, and that was their answer. My point is that apparently they know that there is a problem, but choose to do nothing about it. BTW, the technician did their best multiple times to try to fix the problem, kudos to them for their hard work, but it’s in the computer system. I’ll scan their letter and post it.

ATTENTION: Fellow Explorer Owners, my wife’s Explorer has had the issue since we purchased it new. It has been at the dealership for repair many times, enough to qualify as a “Lemon”, being a retired quality engineer, I pressed the issue all the way to the Regional Factory customer relations manager. You’ll be amazed at what their excuse was. I have in writing that: “These observations reflect normal operation”, so if you have paid your dealer one penny to fix the issue, you have a case for fraud by both the dealership and Ford. If anyone is interested, I’ll post the complete response. We’re not finished with this issue.
We purchased a brand new 2017 explorer sport in Nov 2017, it currently has 9k miles on it. Almost immediately we started experiencing problems.
Upon startup and putting car in drive or reverse, when you press the gas the car stutters as if pressing the gas and letting off multiple times. It happens when the vehicle has been sitting for 30+ minutes. We have taken in to the dealer 3 times, and now have Ford involved. The service adviser implied I am making the car do it, because during the last visit she rode with me and I could not replicate it initially. We let the car sit for a few and then it did it.

I also have this same surging after warm starts. I don't think high humidity is a factor at all since I live in Orange County California where the humidity is very low. My altitude is 300' ASL. It only lasts about 10 seconds and then is OK. More of an annoyance than anything

I agree that it's annoying. Ours has been doing this since day one of ownership over 2 years ago. Even more annoying is that they don't have a clue how to correct it apparently, to the point they refuse to publicly recognize it. I will not even take ours to a dealer for this unless they come of with a fix through a TSB. Last thing I want is a dealer that throws parts at the problem and that won't fix a thing. Every time you take your vehicle in to any dealer, you run the risk of worsening the issue, causing another issue, or accidental damage while being worked on or parked on the lot.

We have started the lemon law process, the vehicle should not do that and along with other issues it has been a problem since day one.

I also have this same surging after warm starts. I don't think high humidity is a factor at all since I live in Orange County California where the humidity is very low. My altitude is 300' ASL. It only lasts about 10 seconds and then is OK. More of an annoyance than anything

I'm also in OC and my 2016 Platinum does this. I previously had another turbo car(a GM) and it did the same thing. It only lasts a few seconds and doesn't bother me.

I agree, but they said there was no fix, and we have to just live with it. The engineers plugged it into their diagnostic computer that had several screens of data and hundreds of data collection points, and that was their answer. My point is that apparently they know that there is a problem, but choose to do nothing about it. BTW, the technician did their best multiple times to try to fix the problem, kudos to them for their hard work, but it’s in the computer system. I’ll scan their letter and post it.
I would love to see the letter

The behavior you describe is called "surging" and it happens when the engine is warm, just restarted, and driven at low speed (partial throttle). It happens to my Explorer while I'm running errands. For example, if I stop, turn off the engine, run into a store, then return and pull out of the parking lot.

I believe this surging is an Ecoboost characteristic and has to do with a temporary build-up of condensation inside the air intake tube caused by an efficient Charge Air Cooler (CAC). Once the condensation is purged, everything returns to normal.
This is exactly what my 2018 does. Is there anything new on this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is exactly what my 2018 does. Is there anything new on this issue?
Not that I'm aware of. Our 2017 has been doing this since new and for 6 years now. We just joke about "The Beast" doing the Herky Jerky every time it happens.

Back