7.5 inch lifted explorer 4.5 suspension 3 inch body | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

7.5 inch lifted explorer 4.5 suspension 3 inch body

Reaction score
City, State
Kent ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer xlt 4x4
Well got the body lift about done need to flip the front bumper piece around and waiting for btf arms. It'll look taller once the btfs are on, I have no suspension travel with the stock arms ****ed up but looks sweet other than that.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1552766463508.jpg_1552766466206.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, what size tires are those?

How did you get 4.5” of lift in the suspension? Spacers & Rancho Quick Lifts?

The BTF arms will not give you any more suspension travel than you already have. There is not endless downward travel. At 4.5” of strut displacement you are already pushing the tie rods, CV axles, lower ball joints and sway bar links well beyond the original design of the suspension, upper control arms won’t fix that.

Be safe.

315/70r17 and I have 06-10 explorer/mountaineer front struts, knuckle assembly, tie rod ends the whole front end suspension wise of an 06-10 explorer/mountaineer besides the upper arms but the knuckle assembly is a bit taller than 02-05 explorers/mountaineers so the btf arms will have a longer throw so it will have more suspension travel

Well got the body lift about done need to flip the front bumper piece around and waiting for btf arms. It'll look taller once the btfs are on, I have no suspension travel with the stock arms ****ed up but looks sweet other than that.View attachment 168443

Curious, have you looked into the possibility of pulling the 06-10 lower arms and mounting points off and seeing if they would be able to fab up under the frame?
I know the pivot points are different between 3rd n 4th gens, but I believe the long arm kit from BTF fits the 4th gen, I didn't specifically ask Brandon that particular question. But Brandon did say they pivot point for the arms are different between 3 and 4. The long travel kit will work on the 6-10s he said. Again IF I recall correctly when I questioned him about them as they were new on the site. Says it is for rangers, and will fit exs.

I've not been able to get a hold of a 4th gen cheap enough to make the investment.

Ok so look into the lower arms off of the 06-10 explorers

Ok so look into the lower arms off of the 06-10 explorers
they wont direct bolt in, BUT, if the mounting points can be welded or bolted in then maybe, one could use the lower arms, or better yet, brandon's long travel kit.

do you have any pics of the strut and knuckle on there?

Yes, notice it's all steel the 06-10 ones are all steel and narrower for the ball joint

Messaging1542488863163.jpg

This build seems a little scary, but interesting to me. Do 4th gen suspension parts bolt directly in and give you a little bit higher of a ride? also, how does your current setup handle if you have taken it on the road?

Yeah it holds up fine I'm waiting on my btf arms and they are coming this week. The brakes are bigger but the rotor will still be fine to use but with the stock arms it's not really good to drive on with the 2inch spacer but more lift is what I'm going for

I appreciate your ingenuity, but your CV joint angle is extremely severe, you’re going to wear those joints up quickly.

Also, your tie rod angle is so steep that it looks unsafe. If that fails you will loose control of the vehicle. The BTF arms will not correct that.

What is the plan for the rear? The axles pass through the frame and are most likely already rubbing.

This vehicle is a great candidate for an S.A.S.

Back