• Register Today It's free!

35" tires

2005 low rider

Reaction score
City, State
saint thomas , Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
is anyone one here running 35" tires if so what lift do you have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coil spacers and a 3 inch body lift would get you in the neighborhood, but you don’t have the gearing for it.

I have a 2” spacer lift and 3” body lift and wouldn’t go bigger than 33’s. I currently have 265/75/16 (32”x10.5”) and had to fasten back some of the fender liner so it didn’t rub while flexing on trails.

If you change the upper control arms you can go 3” lift with spacers, and the 3” body lift, but I would think you would rub at full lock on the street with 35’s. Regular trails and off roading might require some trimming.

As mentioned with gearing, 35’s are going to make the truck a dog. I have 3.55 gears and can feel the difference going from 29” tires to 32” tires. On the trails it’s not too bad, challenging spots get 4L anyway.

If you have the rarer 4:10 gears you’ll be ok. I have 33x12.5 tires with 3:73 gears and usually turn my overdrive off unless I’m on a highway going 80. 4x4 low range will be a must for off road power.

You’ll have to do a bunch of trimming to the plastic inner fenders, but that’s no biggie either.

Like others have already said, the BTF upper control arms will be a must at max lift, as well as a 3 inch body lift, and spacers above the struts. Don’t go crazy with the suspension lift part of it, because the CV axles will rub on the frame and be at too much of an angle.

Good Luck!

When my 33’s wear out, I’ll be going to 35’s also with a gear change

35's will require a minimum 2.25/1.75 suspension lift and 3" body lift. You'll also have to lose your running boards if you have them and trim part of your front fender wells. BTF upper control arms are a must, without them you'll tear through tires. Also if you plan on doing any serious off-roading your CV axles will rub at full drop, so limit straps are a good idea. If it's just going to be a mall crawler you'll be fine without them. I'd recommend offset wheels or adding wheel spacers, I had 2" spacers and had no problems.

I've got a question...I have a 2002 Explorer XLT V8 that I want to lift. I already have the 2.5-3" Strut mount in front and 2" mount for the rear struts. Will I be able to to fit 2" body lift blocks at each of the 10 body mount points with having to make any other modifications? I'm aware of the front wheel well liners and the rear bumper portion of the frame which is where in need to cut a bit of the bottom bumper on the driver's side. I already know that I can fit 1.5" body lift. I'm just looking for clarification, thanks.

I've got a question...I have a 2002 Explorer XLT V8 that I want to lift. I already have the 2.5-3" Strut mount in front and 2" mount for the rear struts. Will I be able to to fit 2" body lift blocks at each of the 10 body mount points with having to make any other modifications? I'm aware of the front wheel well liners and the rear bumper portion of the frame which is where in need to cut a bit of the bottom bumper on the driver's side. I already know that I can fit 1.5" body lift. I'm just looking for clarification, thanks.
2 inch blocks will go in, just watch the flexible brake lines at the abs block, and the bearing at the base of the steering column when you do it.
If you have some kind of noise in the steering wheel when push/pull at 12 and 6 oclock on the steering wheel, check that bearing didnt pull out under the dash. It's just pressed in with a plastic sleeve collar.
IF you are in salty winter area watch the flex brake lines don't break while lifting.

Sounds like I'm just better off sticking with the 1.5in blocks all the way around. I appreciate the feedback, thanks.

I've got another question for anyone that's done the strut mount lift at all 4 corners to their 3rd generation Explorer XLT V8. I'm looking for a decent set of struts thatllt soften the ride. My current ride is a bit jarring. Thank you in advance.

Sounds like I'm just better off sticking with the 1.5in blocks all the way around. I appreciate the feedback, thanks.

The 2in blocks will be just as easy as the 1.5in all around. I was just pointing out the things to pay attention to which will apply to the 1.5in as well. I have 2in on mine.
The things I cited are things that would have been easy to avoid IF I had known to watch for them.

I am not aware of 1.5in blocks for sale, it was more work to go 1.5in than 2in in my opinion.

Understood... another question about my Explorer, with the strut extensions that I currently have in place(3" in front and 2" in the rear), I'm looking for a softer ride. A better ride then I'm getting with my current struts found on eBay. Any ideas?

1.5" blocks are just the easiest to get 3" blocks cut in half...

1.5" blocks are just the easiest to get 3" blocks cut in half...
I had a hard time trying to cut them in half.
Zone off-road website has the 2in blocks for sale individually.
Unfortunately I don't know of a option other than having a softer spring coil installed onto the struts for the softer ride. Another option would be higher profile tires possibly. Not sure what kind of wheel tire setup you have on yours.

Currently I've had just the stock 16" with 255x70 16's. I just picked up 4 285x65 17 that'll be mounted to Wrangler silver 17" five spoke. Also expecting a set of 4 2" spacers. I'm not 100% on the body lift, gonna wait to see how I make out with this latest rim and tire set..to see what it looks like. So you're thinking a change of springs may give me a softer ride?

With the strut spacers, yes. It will also probably lower the ride height a small amount too.

Did you put new struts in when you put in the spacer lift?

I did yes, that and most of the suspension components. I don't want to lower it though, so I'll stick with what I have.

1. Where would I find replacement springs for the struts that I currently have for my 02 Ford Explorer XLT?
2. Would you know anything or anyone that has tried using both the strut spacers AND a Rancho Quick Lift set of struts?

1. Where would I find replacement springs for the struts that I currently have for my 02 Ford Explorer XLT?
2. Would you know anything or anyone that has tried using both the strut spacers AND a Rancho Quick Lift set of struts?
As long as you don't go over 3 inches of spacer lift, it does not matter how you get there. The suspension angles get dangerous if you go higher than that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back