2011 Front Suspension Creaks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Front Suspension Creaks

DDF

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
Anyone having an issue with creaking noises while going slow and turning?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be that your ball joints are wearing out, though its a new truck...

Is it only when turning? Any particular direction or both?
Have you checked your Power steering fluids?

on a 2011?

I'm going to listen and wait until I hit 1,000 miles, then I will contact the dealer. It could be perfectly normal, like the ABS brake noise some people have had in their 2011's. I was just hoping to hear from other folks that may be experiencing the same thing.

Yup, mine is making a squeaking/grinding noise when I go over a speed bump really slow. It happens when the suspension compresses.

Going into the Dealer this week.

Please post again when you are done at the dealer. I'm curious what the problem is.

Anyone having an issue with creaking noises while going slow and turning?

Determine if only when turning in one direction, that info will help to pinpoint problem.

I realize this is a very old thread but I’m having similar issues on my 2013 XLT 4x4 with 80,000 miles on it now. It started with the drivers side strut spring pinging/clunking and visibly moving. I replaced both struts with the Monroe versions. Next, as it was slowly driven over speed bumps or even a bumpy road at 45 MPH I would get this sound like rubber being compressed. It’s kinda a squeaky, grinding noise. So I changed the front sway bar links and even the sway bar bushings. I did those because the noise is resonating through the aftermarket greaseable sway bar links that are definitely full of grease. I could “feel” the noise on the sway bar too, hence the bushing swap. The noise is still there, just not as noticeable. I can reproduce the sound by having someone shake the vehicle up and down while feeling and listening with the engine off and on the ground or on my ramps.

The passenger side cv axle has a lot of slop in it and I’ll be changing that in a couple of days. I guess it could be the boot but that wouldn’t explain why, in my mind, the noise would resonate through the sway bar and links. Any ideas? Thank in advance!

Check the upper engine motor mount. It is a canister shaped mount on the passenger side. Have someone give it gas while in drive with the brake held firmly to notice the engine rock. Just replaced mine as it is a hydraulic mount and it had failed and there was moisture in that area.

Check the upper engine motor mount. It is a canister shaped mount on the passenger side. Have someone give it gas while in drive with the brake held firmly to notice the engine rock. Just replaced mine as it is a hydraulic mount and it had failed and there was moisture in that area.

I hope that helps someone!

The Monroe struts I installed apparently had a bad bearing causing the noise. They were replaced under warranty and the sound went away.

There were so many other mechanical problems I gave up on it at 81,000 miles. I fixed it by trading it in on a 2017 Expedition XLT 4x4. So glad to have a full frame vehicle again for the family and my sanity!

Back