New 16 Platinum WOT vibration!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 16 Platinum WOT vibration!?!

aguita

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Platinum
Hello Guys, I took delivery of 16 4WD Platinum today that I bought from another state, car is a 1 owner all services done on the local dealer from where i bought the truck..

so after getting into the highway i went WOT from a stop and noticed a huge vibration coming from the front end when reaching the red line, at first i thought it was wheel hop, disabled traction control and still getting the vibration, the vibration can be felt on the hole car! but like said this only happens when going WOT!

could this be a bad tranny or motor mount!?

or this cars transmission suffers!? car currently have 110k..

any help appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Guys, I took delivery of 16 4WD Platinum today that I bought from another state, car is a 1 owner all services done on the local dealer from where i bought the truck..
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you get or are you able to get the service records for the vehicle? At that mileage the spark plugs should have been changed. Not saying that is the cause of the issue.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you get or are you able to get the service records for the vehicle? At that mileage the spark plugs should have been changed. Not saying that is the cause of the issue.

Peter

thanks for the welcome!

no way to get the service records, I just have the carfax, im doing all the maintenance ,plugs,filters,oil etc..

right now what worries me is the WOT vibration

thanks for the welcome!

no way to get the service records, I just have the carfax, im doing all the maintenance ,plugs,filters,oil etc..

right now what worries me is the WOT vibration

If all services were performed at the selling dealer, they can get you an OASIS report that will show everything done by them.

.......................right now what worries me is the WOT vibration
A record of any previous service done may provide a clue as to the WOT vibration.

Peter

Sounds like it could be a failing engine mount or cv joint/front axle shaft.

110K miles or kilometers?

Could be almost anything based on the info so far.

What kind of "vibration"? Is the vehicle itself vibrating? Is the engine "misfiring" and feels like a "vibration"? What do you know about the previous owner and his proclivities?

Just so it's clear, vibration at any speed at WOT only, right? No vibration at a speed or range of speed at any other partial throttle opening?

110K miles or kilometers?

Could be almost anything based on the info so far.

What kind of "vibration"? Is the vehicle itself vibrating? Is the engine "misfiring" and feels like a "vibration"? What do you know about the previous owner and his proclivities?

Just so it's clear, vibration at any speed at WOT only, right? No vibration at a speed or range of speed at any other partial throttle opening?

Miles, theres a vibration like a FWD car doing wheel hop, vibration can be felt on the whole car, this only happens when going wot and reaching the redline..

driving normally wont cause any vibration..

dont know about previous owner, just know car is a 1 owner, oil changes done at kwik kar and when needed service was done at the dealership

Miles, theres a vibration like a FWD car doing wheel hop, vibration can be felt on the whole car, this only happens when going wot and reaching the redline..

driving normally wont cause any vibration..

dont know about previous owner, just know car is a 1 owner, oil changes done at kwik kar and when needed service was done at the dealership
So, just to clarify.

As soon as you go WOT, the car begins vibrating immediately and continues as long as you maintain WOT? I would look at suspension/driveline inspection - possible you have a bad halfshaft or bad suspension bushings/shocks/struts.

Or, are you saying that it is fine at WOT and only starts to vibrate as it reaches redline at WOT? This could be indicative of a trans issues if the vibration only occurs near or at the shift point.

Just as an example, if the road is just wet/slick enough, and I jump on my fusion fwd from a stop, it will wheel hop like mad as it alternately gains/loses traction. The tires are nearing the end of their life, and it is what I would consider 'typical/normal' behavior in that instance. Maybe check your tires.

As you do your other maintenance, make sure you check for any current or stored codes as well, just to confirm no other issues.

So, just to clarify.

As soon as you go WOT, the car begins vibrating immediately and continues as long as you maintain WOT? I would look at suspension/driveline inspection - possible you have a bad halfshaft or bad suspension bushings/shocks/struts.

Or, are you saying that it is fine at WOT and only starts to vibrate as it reaches redline at WOT? This could be indicative of a trans issues if the vibration only occurs near or at the shift point.

Just as an example, if the road is just wet/slick enough, and I jump on my fusion fwd from a stop, it will wheel hop like mad as it alternately gains/loses traction. The tires are nearing the end of their life, and it is what I would consider 'typical/normal' behavior in that instance. Maybe check your tires.

As you do your other maintenance, make sure you check for any current or stored codes as well, just to confirm no other issues.

only vibrates when it reaches redline, almost when getting to shift point, no codes stored on any modules.

tires are new and road is dry, im thinking this must be a trans issue. im replacing a tranny mount that looks weak to see if it fixes the issue, if not im going to touch the tranny..

can someone tell me the model of the transmission? same as all explorers 4WD!?

only vibrates when it reaches redline, almost when getting to shift point, no codes stored on any modules.

tires are new and road is dry, im thinking this must be a trans issue. im replacing a tranny mount that looks weak to see if it fixes the issue, if not im going to touch the tranny..

On a platinum? You'll have the 6F55 transmission.

If you look at the sticker at the drivers door, it should have your transmission model. I also believe Rhino and Galaxie are correct.

If you look at the sticker at the drivers door, it should have your transmission model. I also believe Rhino and Galaxie are correct.

To be certain, you can check your owners manual. Under "Capacities and Specifications" it should detail where the door sticker is, as well the decoding of it.

If you do not have the physical copy, you can find a digital copy at this link - Find Your Owner Manual | Official Ford Owner Site

i dont see the trans code on the sticker on the door, but when looking for transmissions this are the one that shows up

is this trans same as the taurus SHO AWD?

how can i tell the model? to make sure I get the correct one

(AT), (6 Speed), ID DA5P-7000-DA
(AT), (6 Speed), ID DA5P-7000-DB
(AT), (6 Speed), ID DA5P-7000-EB
(AT), (6 Speed), ID DA5P-7000-JB
(AT), (6 Speed), ID DA8P-7000-CB
(AT), (6 Speed), ID DA8P-7000-KB
(AT), (6 Speed), ID FB5P-7000-AA
(AT), (6 Speed), ID FB5P-7000-BA
(AT), (6 Speed), ID FB5P-7000-DA

i dont see the trans code on the sticker on the door, but when looking for transmissions this are the one that shows up

is this trans same as the taurus SHO AWD?

how can i tell the model? to make sure I get the correct one

(AT), (6 Speed), ID DA5P-7000-DA
(AT), (6 Speed), ID DA5P-7000-DB
(AT), (6 Speed), ID DA5P-7000-EB
(AT), (6 Speed), ID DA5P-7000-JB
(AT), (6 Speed), ID DA8P-7000-CB
(AT), (6 Speed), ID DA8P-7000-KB
(AT), (6 Speed), ID FB5P-7000-AA
(AT), (6 Speed), ID FB5P-7000-BA
(AT), (6 Speed), ID FB5P-7000-DA

I don't know about that. I'll take a picture of what I mean.

As Peter said, your powertrain warranty will cover it for a little while yet.

Edit: never mind

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My apologies. It would appear that your Powertrain Warranty has expired since you are at 110 kms (68k+ miles). I forgot about that being in your initial post.
Are you sure it is the transmission? You did say it performs correctly under normal driving. How many times do you expect to "red line" it anyway?

Any chance it could be the PTU?

Peter

Back