New (to me) '06, with a few questions.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New (to me) '06, with a few questions..

ThunderbirdSport

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V8
Picked up an '06 with a bit over 170K last week, seller said it was an EB can find no badging or info on that, not that it matters to me a whole lot.

It's a 4.6, and has an issue where if you drive it hard, about half throttle or so, the trans seems like it's hunting back and forth, doesn't know what gear to be in. It's not as if it's kicking down, rather a hesitation, sort of thing Fluid is good, seller had the trans rebuilt awhile back. Not sure why or by who.

I read a thread about a guy with a bad coil, said the dealership told him his trans was going out, but it turned out be bad coil(s). I'm wondering if this may not be part of my issue.

Trans doesn't slip at all, and the issue is intermittent.

The other issue is the driver side third row seat is stuck down and won't go up with the button, and of course, since it's used, I don't know the keyless code. Is it on a sticker somewhere behind the trim, as with the older Explorers?

I've had a '97 Mounty, a '97 4.0 Explorer, and current daily is a '98 5.0 Explorer that just isn't big enough anymore what with 4 kids...still love it though, it's been really good to me, has 260K and still runs great and looks good too.

The newer one though...man, it's a good deal more refined, the ride is so much better, more room, more options.

Is there a tag decoder to tell what options mine has...the door jam decal is what I mean...

Thanks...I've still got about 20 threads in other tabs to peruse :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

regarding the hesitation, it's happened to me a few times. Just cruising at 40-50mph there is a misfire (hesitation feeling). For me, its always been a bad plug. Bad coils usually threw a code, for me. If you don't know the maintenance history and its has 170k miles, I would change plugs and coils. Super easy job, even for me.

My 4.6 has 184k on it and the tranny is still going strong with only one fluid change (not flush) in its lifetime.

Good luck

The third row seat does not not a security code. The plastic gears are stripped and it won't elevate up. Get a new motor with the gear box for $ 300 or swap them for manual seats from a salvage yard.
I can't tell you how many times i thought the tranny was going bad and it would turn out to be bad coils and plugs.
Use Motorcraft parts only for the ignition components.

1. Sounds like a mis-fire. Check coils and/or plugs.
2. do a search for 3rd row power seats and start reading. If you include post from me, you will find my how-to. Or take to the dealer if you have a lot of $$$.

A sure way to tell if you have an EB, XLT or other trim package is to browse to browse to the North American Motoring VIN Decoder page, enter your VIN number and click the Decode button. The top line will show what you have even if a previous owner has altered the paint scheme or changed the front grille.. For example, here's mine and it shows it to be an XLT:
2007 Ford Explorer 4WD 4dr V6 XLT
VIN: 1FMEU73E67UB*****

The third row seat does not not a security code.

I meant to break up the sentence and was actually inquiring about about the passcode for the keyless entry LOL. My bad...d'oh!

So there's no way to get the seat up without a new motor/gearbox eh?

I'm headed to town to grab some oil and a filter for the wife's car...I'll ask my parts guy about some Motorcraft coilpacks. Seller said they'd put new plugs in a couple years ago...but you know what that means lol. (exactly not a damned thing until I pull a couple and see what shape they're in..)

Thanks for the tips...I'll throw a pic in when I get back home....you guys rock!

edit, using the VIN Decoder link provided by digifoss, I do indeed have an EB. Thought it strange that there's no badging or other indicators of the trim level...then again, I'm just starting to learn about this generation lol.

Thanks again y'all.

If you see Ford part numbers on top of the coils, then those are Motorcraft, but they also go bad eventually.

The seat is stuck. If you remove the whole bench and break out the motor and gears, the seat would move freely but would not stay in up position, not safe for occupants.

This is what I did:

Replaced my 3rd row power seat with a manual one.

You can get your door code with forscan

It's now tagged and already one of the "family".

Here's a couple quick shots;
1HuygCh.jpg

mAQuI2Q.jpg

Yea that looks like an EB to me. My stepmom has one. The badging on the hatch just fell off one day.... My dad got another one on ebay and glued it on..... The gold fenders were only on EB explorers and those are definitely EB running boards.

Yes, unless someone did an extremely comprehensive job converting it to an Eddie Bauer, I would say that is what you bought. Specific grill, paint scheme, running boards, and wheels although I see that yours has custom wheels

Yes, looks like EB except the wheels, but I have never seen EB with that grayish inserts, seat sides and enter console in that color..

My both EBs are camel or dark camel all inside.

Yeah, the wheels are aftermarket, I'm like "meh" about them, but finding a set of nice stock wheels would probably be an expensive proposition.
I gave 3K for it, knowing it needed a blower motor resistor and of course the third row stuck down issue. If it's as good as my 98 has been to me, it will do nicely.

Someone put a really nice Pioneer touch screen stereo in it, has bluetooth, backup camera etc etc.
I'm still amazed at how well these things ride and drive compared to the older ones. It's more like a luxury car rather than a truck, yet it still can do some truck stuff, and not cry to mommy about it lol.

When I first saw it, I'd entertained an idea of stripping the chrome off of the grill and hood insert and painting them body color. But it's grown on me now.

Back to the wheels....thinking of plastidipping them in either a white or an aluminum look sometime later on...and the tires, they're pretty much brand new, but they're street tires. At some point I'll have to put something that's a little more gravel road friendly on, as I live in the country and the roads out here are terrible during winter and spring, and any time it rains.

I was actually looking at Expeditions when I saw this for sale, and it was only an hour and half away so I went down last friday to look at it. Ended up with it as you can see. Probably will end up in an Expy at some point due to needing more room, but I'm really impressed with this one. :)

I think it's a very good price.
They are really very versatile vehicles, that's why we have 2.
I was looking at Tahoes at some point, and I like them a lot but they fal short on many thing those explorers have. The third row is very comfy even for the adults. Try sitting in the back of a Tahoe.

...The third row is very comfy even for the adults. Try sitting in the back of a Tahoe.

This is subjective. My son actually prefers the rear seats in my 02 Tahoe. Also, the Tahoe third row can seat 3 whereas the Explorer can only seat 2.

We have both an 08 Explorer and an 02 Tahoe. I like each of them for different reasons.

The 08 Explorer:
What I like:
-quiet ride
-full time AWD (my wife doesn't need to think about what to do in snow), and 4Hi/low
-power rear folding seats
-smaller outer dimensions
-more fuel efficient than the Tahoe

What I don't like:
-too narrow to fit 4' wide materials
-when seats are folded down, there are gaps around the folded seats for things to fall through.
-no cargo net so when you open the hatch when facing uphill, everything spills out onto the road.
-I actually find the 3rd row more uncomfortable than the Tahoe 3rd row. You will need to sit in each one to decide for yourself.
-18" wheels make for a harsh ride. Switching to 16" wheels have made the ride more comfortable. You can get 16" rims from any 02-05 Explorer and they will fit.
-coolant leaks. Some have switched to a 16 psi cap. I have done the same. I'm not sure if that will help, but radiator leaks are common.
-many blind spots. BE CAREFUL. The A pillar is a deceptive blind spot, the rear visibility is not that great compared to my Tahoe.

The 02 Tahoe:
What I like:
-size (If I could have fit a Suburban in my garage, I'd have gotten one of those so I could transport 8' long materials.)
-RWD/4wd. For me this make sense because I can choose automatic 4wd, or just rwd. In bad snow I can use 4 Hi or 4 low if necessary.
-simplicity of the engine/mechanicals
-very good visibility all around.

What I don't like:
-noisier than the Explorer
-drinks gas like a pig

Overall, I like them both. None of the "don't likes" are deal breakers. If you really value being spoilt, the Explorer does more of that. If you want more utilitarian, the Tahoe is better. But, there is overlap in all these areas depending on the year and options.

Larry -
Agree with you on all parts except the 3rd row seats :)
I had the old GMT400, 99 Tahoe with the pickup style tailgate. I loved that I could put 4x8 sheets back there, the explorer can't do it. I was looking at 2000-2006 Tahoes, and still are since they are so cool but the 3rd row seat is an afterthought. You sit like on the floor, and unless you have the buckets in the second row, you have to be in good shape to get to the back.climbing over the folded down second seats.
Just my opinions.

Larry -
Agree with you on all parts except the 3rd row seats :)
Just my opinions.

Just as I said, these are personal opinions. And as I said, my son prefers the 3rd row in the Tahoe.

I also know I wouldn't want to be sitting in the third row of either truck for any extended length of time. They both feel cramped to me. They both seem like afterthoughts, if you wish to use that term. I don't believe these trucks were originally designed to carry 7 or 8 people.

:dpchug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back