PTU Problems | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L N/A with AWD doesn't have a drain plug or a cooler. It's only got a fill plug that is well blocked by the EPAS module, so it isn't any easier to maintain than my 2014 Taurus SHO (non-PP so it only had a fill plug as well).
Sorry to hear yours doesn't have a drain plug. I guess you will have to decide if you want to continue dealing with the more difficult servicing, or possibly consider getting an ESP and not worrying about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is definitely a bit concerning. While the dealer is taking care of me and replacing the PTU and part of the transmission case under warranty, it just makes me wonder when it’ll happen again. I am going to inquire with them about PTU fluid change intervals for increasing the lifespan. I have no issue changing fluid myself at a regular interval but I also don’t want to be voiding the warranty if I do it.

It is definitely a bit concerning. While the dealer is taking care of me and replacing the PTU and part of the transmission case under warranty, it just makes me wonder when it’ll happen again. I am going to inquire with them about PTU fluid change intervals for increasing the lifespan. I have no issue changing fluid myself at a regular interval but I also don’t want to be voiding the warranty if I do it.
No worries about voiding warranty on the PTU, considering most dealers don't even service it.

So I dug up the part #s for the various configurations:

DG1Z-7251-F with turbo and with cooler (Explorer Sport / PI Utility 3.5L EB)
DB5Z-7251-G w/o turbo, w/ cooler
DT4Z-7251-G w/ or w/o turbo, w/o cooler

All listed as for vehicles made 6/15/16 and up. This coincides with the approx date for the 3rd change they made to the PTU idler gears.

FB5Z-7251-B, 2.3L Explorer (seems to be unique to the 2.3 Explorer?)

Surprisingly our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer has a bottom drain plug on the PTU. It makes changing the fluid easy. This is especially interesting since the 2.3 EB does not heat the oil in the PTU as the 3.5, which does so due to it's exhaust routing against the PTU. I've changed the gear oil out twice, the first time at the dealer at 9,000 miles and the second time at my indie mechanic at 22,000 miles. The next time will be at 42,000 miles. I'll see what it looks like and see whether I can go longer. I'm using Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 which should hold up to the stress in the PTU better.

Interesting. Does it have a cooler?

My Fusion Sport has a cooler and both drain and fill plugs. It uses a TP-50 torx bit for the drain plug. I recall the Fusion Sport using a similar PTU with the Escape.

Well, you can add mine to the list too(Built Mar. 2016.) Failed at 23K mi. No noise, just gear oil smell. Ford is replacing the PTU.

Well, you can add mine to the list too(Built Mar. 2016.) Failed at 23K mi. No noise, just gear oil smell. Ford is replacing the PTU.
I feel your pain, my 2016 was an June 2015 build that failed at 29k. Hopefully the PTU replacements we are getting last a bit longer.

Wow! That's depressing, especially with so few miles on the PTU.

Whimsey

Yeah, it really makes me wonder about those cars with tunes on them especially since mine was stock. The added stresses can’t be good for the PTU.

Picked up the Explorer today. Parts replaced, DG1Z-7251-F Power Takeoff Assembly and DG1Z-7034-F Valve Assembly Vent + Anti-Freeze.

Tech notes: Verified customer concern. Found smell and noise coming from PTU. Removed PTU. Tore down PTU for inspection and found fluid overheated and found bearings overheated causing metal shards. Found bearing damage to all bearings and input shaft damage from metal debris. Installed new PTU. Reversed removal procedure. Installed new vent valve due to contamination with burnt fluid causing odor. Filled transmission to correct level, filled cooling system to correct level. Test drove vehicle. Test drive good.

Picked up the Explorer today. Parts replaced, DG1Z-7251-F Power Takeoff Assembly and DG1Z-7034-F Valve Assembly Vent + Anti-Freeze.

Tech notes: Verified customer concern. Found smell and noise coming from PTU. Removed PTU. Tore down PTU for inspection and found fluid overheated and found bearings overheated causing metal shards. Found bearing damage to all bearings and input shaft damage from metal debris. Installed new PTU. Reversed removal procedure. Installed new vent valve due to contamination with burnt fluid causing odor. Filled transmission to correct level, filled cooling system to correct level. Test drove vehicle. Test drive good.

Interesting to see reference to new anti-freeze, which leads me to believe there may be lines connected to the ports for water cooling.

Interesting to see reference to new anti-freeze, which leads me to believe there may be lines connected to the ports for water cooling.
Yes, the PTU for the Platinum(DG1Z-7251-F) is the same as the Police Interceptor part and is water cooled. It is also mentioned on the work order about extra time required as the PTU is water cooled.

Part Details for DG1Z-7251-F(From 6/6/2016, superseeds DG1Z7251E)

Edge; 3.5L; w/Hot Weather Group. Explorer; 3.5L; w/Turbo; w/Cooler. Explorer; w/Cooler; w/Turbo; From 9/4/12. Police Interceptor; 3.5L. Taurus; w/SHO Package 1

Yes, the PTU for the Platinum(DG1Z-7251-F) is the same as the Police Interceptor part and is water cooled. It is also mentioned on the work order about extra time required as the PTU is water cooled.

Correct, but the mystery is whether the original PTU from the factory was the water cooled version.
The original part on my previous 2016 EX Sport was DG1Z-7251-G and when it failed it was replaced with DG1Z-7251-F, but I never had a chance to confirm if the lines were plumbed before I sold the vehicle.

Edit: do you mine sharing the work order, blurring out any personal information?

Are you sure it was DG1Z-7251-G? I tried looking that up and it doesn't show up as a valid part number. Chances are if you have the -F as a replacement, your original PTU was water cooled. The non-cooled PTU isn't exactly a bolt-in replacement. The cooled PTU has a drain plug but uses a temp sender as a fill port, and has extra cooling hoses running around. The non-cooled PTU only has a fill plug, no temp sender, and no extra hoses going to the main cooling hoses.

I kind of wish my 18 XLT has a drain plug, so I can at least change the fluid easier.

Are you sure it was DG1Z-7251-G? I tried looking that up and it doesn't show up as a valid part number. Chances are if you have the -F as a replacement, your original PTU was water cooled. The non-cooled PTU isn't exactly a bolt-in replacement. The cooled PTU has a drain plug but uses a temp sender as a fill port, and has extra cooling hoses running around. The non-cooled PTU only has a fill plug, no temp sender, and no extra hoses going to the main cooling hoses.

I kind of wish my 18 XLT has a drain plug, so I can at least change the fluid easier.

Before I sold my 2016 EX Sport, I crawled under to look at the to see if the new PTU was plumbed, but I was able to get a clear sight as the cross member covered most of it.
IIRC, DG1Z-7251-G was the older PTU that has since been replaced with DG1Z-7251-F, thus why you can't find it in Ford parts.

I don't see a DG1Z-7251-G. There's DB5Z-7251-G for 3.7L Explorers w/o turbo but w/ cooler. There's DT4Z-7251-G for Explorer/Taurus/Flex/MKS without turbo and without cooler. And AT4Z-7251-G without turbo and without cooler.

I don't see a DG1Z-7251-G. There's DB5Z-7251-G for 3.7L Explorers w/o turbo but w/ cooler. There's DT4Z-7251-G for Explorer/Taurus/Flex/MKS without turbo and without cooler. And AT4Z-7251-G without turbo and without cooler.
I may have gotten the part# wrong, but I'm quite certain that non PIU Explorers did not come with a water cooled PTU off the assembly line.
IIRC, there was a member on here who paid around $3000 for the upgrade on his 2018 EX Sport or Platinum, which was highlighted as a paid option on his window sticker.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may have gotten the part# wrong, but I'm quite certain that non PIU Explorers did not come with a water cooled PTU off the assembly line.
IIRC, there was a member on here who paid around $3000 for the upgrade on his 2018 EX Sport or Platinum, which was highlighted as a paid option on his window sticker.

EcoBoost 3.5 gets water cooled, 3.5NA does not.

Back