• Register Today It's free!

SCT X4 Performance Programmer

Dr Fu

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT 3.5L Ti-VCT V6
So i'm a new Ford Explorer owner, purchased a new 2017 a few months back with the factory 5000# tow package so we could pull a new trailer that we ordered. its got a dry weight of 3300#, small frontal area so it should be very easy to pull IMO. The one thing that i want to get is a chip programmer to make the transmission more stiff durring pulling plus give me a bit of better gas mileage in all situations. i just came from a Ford Escape 1.5 Ecooboost and loved the gas mileage on it and am looking to get better mileage now plus the better towing performance. The STC X4 has been recommended to me and i wanted some experienced feedback from Ford Explorer owners who have used this product. I live in Canada and can purchase it for just over $400 taxes/shipping included

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The STC X4 is hardware. More important is the programming that goes into it. There are quite a few tuners who use the STC X4 platform for their tunes - 5 Star, Unleashed, etc.

That said, there are a lot of happy Livernois tune users on this site. Livernois uses their own device rather than the STC X4.

I just recently used an SCT X4 on my 2017 Sport. I have yet to load a custom tune but the stock program for 91 octane from the SCT flash update seemed pretty good. The trans does shift more aggressive than stock. And my gas mpg's increased from 13mpg daily driven city to 15mpg. Also lead foot, doesn't help.

Resurrecting this thread looking for info on SCT X4 and 2018 Sport.

I have to say I am having a horrible experience buying a SCT X4 for a 2018 Sport. I've owned a number of different tuners, for different vehicles, in 20+ years and never have I had any issue until now.

What is it about the 2018 Sport EcoBoost that is so different than the 2017 that SCT refuses to support the 2018?

Welcome to the Forum :wave:and that you for supporting the site with your Elite membership.:thumbsup:
I don't have the answer you are looking. The majority here seem to be using the Livernois tune.

Peter

While I can install a custom tune, it feels incomplete that the X4 doesn't factory support the 2018/2019 Sport when they do the 2017. I just wonder what changed so drastically in 2018/2019 that SCT decided to ignore these years.

While I can install a custom tune, it feels incomplete that the X4 doesn't factory support the 2018/2019 Sport when they do the 2017. I just wonder what changed so drastically in 2018/2019 that SCT decided to ignore these years.

The X4 worked fine for my '18, what are you talking about?

The X4 worked fine for my '18, what are you talking about?

SCT says they don't make any devices that work for the 2018 (2019) Explorer Sport. They indicate no working models on their web site, either.

Below is the very first response to my inquiry. I went back and forth with them in 17 emails. They are adamant that they don't support these year models with factory tunes of minor parameter adjustments. The X4, as they went on to tell me, will work only to read codes, reset codes or data log on the 2018.

Is your X4 the model 7015? Did you use the programmer as it arrived to make adjustments or did you use it to install custom tunes?

"Good Morning Howard

Thank you for reaching out, I am more than happy to assist you with this today. Unfortunately the 2018 Explorer is not currenly supported by any of our devices. Please check back in a few months as we are constantly making updates to our devices. Should you have any more questions feel free to reach out.

Best Regards,

-WY"

SCT says they don't make any devices that work for the 2018 (2019) Explorer Sport. They indicate no working models on their web site, either.

Below is the very first response to my inquiry. I went back and forth with them in 17 emails. They are adamant that they don't support these year models with factory tunes of minor parameter adjustments. The X4, as they went on to tell me, will work only to read codes, reset codes or data log on the 2018.

Is your X4 the model 7015? Did you use the programmer as it arrived to make adjustments or did you use it to install custom tunes?

"Good Morning Howard

Thank you for reaching out, I am more than happy to assist you with this today. Unfortunately the 2018 Explorer is not currenly supported by any of our devices. Please check back in a few months as we are constantly making updates to our devices. Should you have any more questions feel free to reach out.

Best Regards,

-WY"

7015 model with a custom tune by Gear Head.

You don't want to use the canned setting anyway, it's primarily a means to load a custom tune

No offense meant, but your response seems irrelevant to my question. I stated that it can "install a custom tune", but that SCT doesn't directly support the vehicle and that seems incomplete. Out of the box, the SCT X4 isn't able to tune the 2018/2019 Explorer Sport.

Quote - "While I can install a custom tune, it feels incomplete that the X4 doesn't factory support the 2018/2019 Sport when they do the 2017"

If you don't have any success in getting the problem resolved with SCT, you can always contact Livernois about their tune. It seems to be a popular choice. They are a Forum vendor and active here as well and can help with any problems or questions.

Peter

If you don't have any success in getting the problem resolved with SCT, you can always contact Livernois about their tune. It seems to be a popular choice. They are a Forum vendor and active here as well and can help with any problems or questions.

Peter

There's nothing to be done with SCT. Their last response was this.

"The lack of support is because we do not support the vehicle."

No offense meant, but your response seems irrelevant to my question. I stated that it can "install a custom tune", but that SCT doesn't directly support the vehicle and that seems incomplete. Out of the box, the SCT X4 isn't able to tune the 2018/2019 Explorer Sport.

Quote - "While I can install a custom tune, it feels incomplete that the X4 doesn't factory support the 2018/2019 Sport when they do the 2017"

I'll take your word for it that it can't.

It seems your primary concern is being able to self adjust parameters out of the box, correct? If that's your primary concern, you're left with a Hypertech (not totally positive) and maybe one other (Diablo). Beware, none of the tuners I know of or would buy from use Hypertech or Diablo to load their tunes.

I used a canned tune from Hypertech on my 2013 ss camaro, and it worked awesome.

If that's your primary concern, you're left with a Hypertech (not totally positive) and maybe one other (Diablo). Beware, none of the tuners I know of or would buy from use Hypertech or Diablo to load their tunes.

I have owned Hypertech and Diablo in the past on other, non-Ford, vehicles and they worked as I expected - well. I am not concerned with "tuners". I am not interested in hyper-performance tunes. I've been perfectly satisfied in the past with Eco or Tow tunes to improve drive-ablity.

In the last 20 years, I've owned programmers for every vehicle I own - to read/reset codes and make minor adjustments, like speedo correction. I've never needed or used a custom tune or paid someone to make adjustments. I do not want to have to contact or pay a "professional tuner" $150 for every minor tweak.

My Explorer has drive-ablity issues, especially when the weather is humid and Ford has been deaf to my complaints. Having seen good improvements in other vehicles in the past, and that I'd buy a programmer for this vehicle anyway, my hope was in buying the X4 on recommendation that it might help with these issues. I now have a programmer that's no good except to push $150/pop "tunes" to my vehicle. The X4 was recommended to me by one of these professional tuners and in hindsight is a $400 mistake.

My original inquiry was "I just wonder what changed so drastically in 2018/2019 that SCT decided to ignore these years."

If no one knows, that's okay, too.

Back