My EX is in the hospital :( | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My EX is in the hospital :(

If the shop does find more stuff etc... they will submit a supplement to the insurance company. If it was too big of an adjustment, the insurance could end up totaling it.
Do you really think a shop that is getting a guaranteed $10k insurance job is going to submit a supplemental before starting work and risk losing the job? If that is the plan, you want to get a second opinion before the work is started and negotiate from there. Heck, it may even be worthwile to take a pay out and just fix the windshield and pillar trim and drive it as is considering it is a 2015 base.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you really think a shop that is getting a guaranteed $10k insurance job is going to submit a supplemental before starting work and risk losing the job? If that is the plan, you want to get a second opinion before the work is started and negotiate from there. Heck, it may even be worthwile to take a pay out and just fix the windshield and pillar trim and drive it as is considering it is a 2015 base.

Yes, it happens.

Twice I've had a body shop quote higher than the adjuster before the work. An they still did the work. But I believe supplements are actually done during the work.

Hi, I am here. Thanks for the heads up RhinoQuartz.

Yes, roofs are actually easily replaced. Labor intensive, but no big deal.

Supplements. I gotta tell you 99.999995 % of insurance estimates in my shop will get a supplement. More often than not double if not more than triple the original estimate. Insurance companies HATE writing checks. Always remember that.

Hi, I am here. Thanks for the heads up RhinoQuartz.

Yes, roofs are actually easily replaced. Labor intensive, but no big deal.

Supplements. I gotta tell you 99.999995 % of insurance estimates in my shop will get a supplement. More often than not double if not more than triple the original estimate. Insurance companies HATE writing checks. Always remember that.

Hey, my pleasure. Its not every day I get to "summon" a master anything.

Well, apart from master poopers, my kids do have that covered.

Circling back to your reply though, what do mean by roofs are easy but labour intensive. As in, you just need a few people to get off and on, but otherwise they basically slot right in?

I think more than a few of you misinterpreted what I was saying. If the ins co didn't estimate high enough to total the vehicle to begin with, but the damage was close to being a total, no shop in their right mind is going to amend their estimate to make the total cross the threshold for a repair vs a total. They are just costing themselves a job if they do that. I'm not saying they won't increase the total after repairs are started and milk things, but by then, the repairs are underway and the ins co is committed. Even if the repairs go over, ins cos are reluctant to total a vehicle after paying out.

I'm also not saying this is written in stone, but business is business and repair shops aren't in the business of helping customers get cars totaled so they can buy new ones...

If you are close to a total/settlement, it is in your best interest to negotiate as best you can upfront.

I guess I never thought of it that way - however if you take your car to a really high quality and busy shop (here Penske is best, no one else is close) they'll do just that. I was rear ended at probably under 30mph - drove the car home and used it for two weeks while I waited for an appointment - alignment was true and even the liftgate worked. Then a week after I had dropped off the car I was informed there was too much frame damage to do the repair - it exceeded the total loss threshold. It never dawned on me the car could be totaled and certainly the shop made no money (or very little) once they made that declaration. This was on a 4 year old Santa Fe Sport, the reason I had to buy my Explorer.

Like I said, not written in stone, but for every story where the pendulum swung one way, there will be a story where it swung the other way. Lots of variables and moving parts.

Like I said, not written in stone, but for every story where the pendulum swung one way, there will be a story where it swung the other way. Lots of variables and moving parts.
However if you follow the formula I did you’re much less likely to end up with a shop trying to keep a job they shouldn’t.

Circling back to your reply though, what do mean by roofs are easy but labour intensive. As in, you just need a few people to get off and on, but otherwise they basically slot right in?

You pretty much have to gut the interior and the front and rear glass, ( see also rear liftgate ) have to be removed. Then installing the roof depending on the size could be a four-man job. But yes fit up is pretty much a no brainer.

Treated right totals are profitable. You get teardown time (usually invested X2), storage, admin fee, pre-scan, blueprint, and damage analysis. Possibly evac, drain, clean up broken glass. Of course, towing and transport too.

Well Either way I would have no problem with them totaling the vehicle cuz I could just get a newer better one lol
Buuuttttt this was my first car i bought brand new and I know its just a base but its 4x4 with new beefier A/T tires, brake pads and rotors. I love my EX. Either way ill get a like-new exterior or a brand new explorer. I have asked for regular updates on the vehicle by phone and I will likely go to the shop on a reg basis to see the progress my self. Ill keep you updated. I didnt think this thread would take off but I love the replies from everyone!

Treated right totals are profitable. You get teardown time (usually invested X2), storage, admin fee, pre-scan, blueprint, and damage analysis. Possibly evac, drain, clean up broken glass. Of course, towing and transport too.
I've never heard or seen that happen on a regular enough basis to make it worthwhile. No insurance company is going to be around long if they are paying out all of the things you mention on top of total loss payouts for every total loss. You must be an anomaly as not too many shops in my area run their own towing/transport out of their facility and I've never been charged storage or admin fees or other fees for vehicles a shop is working on (unless the vehicle was just sitting for weeks or not picked up in a timely manner after repairs were completed). I do have a few repair shops in my area that run 24/7 towing, but I would never take my vehicle to them as they are not known for the highest quality work. They are kind of like ambulance chasing attorneys because they try to steer repairs to themselves...

However if you follow the formula I did you’re much less likely to end up with a shop trying to keep a job they shouldn’t.
Not sure I understand exactly what your formula is. Is it to take the vehicle to a high quality Penske shop for an estimate and then schedule an appt for a few weeks out and hope that when you return they just magically total it? That's pretty much just the normal way people go about getting estimates and how insurance companies review them and determine next steps. Sometimes things are easy, sometimes they aren't - varies by company, adjuster, shop, and so on.

I've never heard or seen that happen on a regular enough basis to make it worthwhile. No insurance company is going to be around long if they are paying out all of the things you mention on top of total loss payouts for every total loss. You must be an anomaly as not too many shops in my area run their own towing/transport out of their facility and I've never been charged storage or admin fees or other fees for vehicles a shop is working on (unless the vehicle was just sitting for weeks or not picked up in a timely manner after repairs were completed). I do have a few repair shops in my area that run 24/7 towing, but I would never take my vehicle to them as they are not known for the highest quality work. They are kind of like ambulance chasing attorneys because they try to steer repairs to themselves...

Not sure I understand exactly what your formula is. Is it to take the vehicle to a high quality Penske shop for an estimate and then schedule an appt for a few weeks out and hope that when you return they just magically total it? That's pretty much just the normal way people go about getting estimates and how insurance companies review them and determine next steps. Sometimes things are easy, sometimes they aren't - varies by company, adjuster, shop, and so on.

You schedule an appointment a few weeks out because that's the first one that's available - like I said, they have more cars than techs so they don't have to repair your car to stay in business or make money - another one will show up in 5 minutes. Therefore they have no incentive to "keep" a car that should be totaled or sent to auction (like mine).

You schedule an appointment a few weeks out because that's the first one that's available - like I said, they have more cars than techs so they don't have to repair your car to stay in business or make money - another one will show up in 5 minutes. Therefore they have no incentive to "keep" a car that should be totaled or sent to auction (like mine).
Not sure what you are talking about. I was only talking about cars that are close to the threshold of being totaled. Most shops are in business to do repairs and make money. If they can keep a job and "move the goalposts" later (within reason), why wouldn't they, rather than trying their hardest to get the vehicle totaled and not make any money (or very little). It doesn't matter if they can start working on the car right away or need to schedule an appt for a later date. Again, I'm not clear what your formula is for ensuring a car is totaled when it is close to the threshold. Also not sure what "keeping" the car has to do with anything. Some shops are busier than others and if a car is driveable, it is not uncommon for some shops to tell you to keep driving it while they process the claim and order parts.

What you described is basically how things work. You take a vehicle in for an estimate or make an appt with an adjuster, they do their thing and review, then decide to proceed or total.

Not sure what you are talking about. I was only talking about cars that are close to the threshold of being totaled. Most shops are in business to do repairs and make money. If they can keep a job and "move the goalposts" later (within reason), why wouldn't they, rather than trying their hardest to get the vehicle totaled and not make any money (or very little). It doesn't matter if they can start working on the car right away or need to schedule an appt for a later date. Again, I'm not clear what your formula is for ensuring a car is totaled when it is close to the threshold. Also not sure what "keeping" the car has to do with anything. Some shops are busier than others and if a car is driveable, it is not uncommon for some shops to tell you to keep driving it while they process the claim and order parts.

What you described is basically how things work. You take a vehicle in for an estimate or make an appt with an adjuster, they do their thing and review, then decide to proceed or total.
Last post on this. Your original thesis was that a shop won't total out a car because they make far less money doing this than doing whatever repairs they can to a vehicle. I think that's true but if you pick a well-regarded and very busy collision center they have no incentive to do this because their inventory will always exceed their labor capacity. We both agree that there is a wide range of possibilities I just happen to think you can mitigate the possibility that you will end up driving a car that should have been totaled by choosing wisely where you send your vehicle (and not letting the insurance company choose for you).

Last post on this. Your original thesis was that a shop won't total out a car because they make far less money doing this than doing whatever repairs they can to a vehicle. I think that's true but if you pick a well-regarded and very busy collision center they have no incentive to do this because their inventory will always exceed their labor capacity. We both agree that there is a wide range of possibilities I just happen to think you can mitigate the possibility that you will end up driving a car that should have been totaled by choosing wisely where you send your vehicle (and not letting the insurance company choose for you).
So your formula is basically to just take the vehicle to a busy shop with expectation/hope that they will just work with the insurance company to total it because they are too busy to work on it because an easier job or more jobs will roll in within 5 minutes.

That sounds like a solid plan, said no one.

So your formula is basically to just take the vehicle to a busy shop with expectation/hope that they will just work with the insurance company to total it because they are too busy to work on it because an easier job or more jobs will roll in within 5 minutes.

That sounds like a solid plan, said no one.
I agree with him. I’d rather take it to a quality shop that doesn’t NEED the work. If it’s close to being totalled, I’d rather it be totalled, then hoping some hungry shop will cut corners just to keep the job because they can’t get enough work.

I agree with him. I’d rather take it to a quality shop that doesn’t NEED the work. If it’s close to being totalled, I’d rather it be totalled, then hoping some hungry shop will cut corners just to keep the job because they can’t get enough work.
So the strategy is really just hope and prayer. Got it.

Business is business. I can't imagine too many insurance adjusters will keep their jobs if they keep totalling out vehicles that don't fully meet the ins co criteria and the claim notes say that the shop was too busy, didn't want the job, and convinced the adjuster to just total the vehicle. I'm sure it has happened, but it is so far from the norm that it is laughable. This is not a formula/strategy - it is a hail mary at best...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the strategy is really just hope and prayer. Got it.

Business is business. I can't imagine too many insurance adjusters will keep their jobs if they keep totalling out vehicles that don't fully meet the ins co criteria and the claim notes say that the shop was too busy, didn't want the job, and convinced the adjuster to just total the vehicle. I'm sure it has happened, but it is so far from the norm that it is laughable. This is not a formula/strategy - it is a hail mary at best...
My strategy isn’t a hope and a prayer. You DON’T got it. It’s using a QUALITY body shop that’s NOT starving. If the truck should be totalled, I want it totalled. Not saved for a few bucks so someone else can make some money. If I want to drive a totalled truck, I’d buy it back and get it fixed on the cheap. That’s surely not where I’m starting out though.

Insurance adjusters CONSTANTLY undervalue damage. Often people will take the check, unquestioned, and find someone to fix the vehicle poorly and in budget. These hacks are super common and are the main reason collision repair gets a bad rap.

Back