CEL code 2196 2198 oxygen sensor(s) 1 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CEL code 2196 2198 oxygen sensor(s) 1

runningonfords

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT RRM
So, it was Sunday night last week 6:00 PM, about to drive from Detroit to Washington, D.C. the next morning, my biggest longest haul in this vehicle yet. I'm filling up the tank, topping the washer fluid, checking oil and coolant levels, tire pressure, ready to rock. Run to the grocery store and get back notice the CEL is on. Mad dash about town to find a reader cause I misplaced my bluetooth OBD MX (DOH! its so small) and I get codes P 2196 and 2198, Oxygen sensor signal bias stuck rich bank 1 sensor 1, and bank 2 sensor 1. I erased it, drove to DC and back and haven't seen it again yet. Is it time to replace upstream oxygen sensors? Is my engine running rich for another reason? Code hasn't come back yet, maybe it was a fluke 1 off reading? I think the sensors aren't that much, but they can become seized in place making replacement a pain. I plan to ignore this unless it comes back, anyone with different thoughts? Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, it was Sunday night last week 6:00 PM, about to drive from Detroit to Washington, D.C. the next morning, my biggest longest haul in this vehicle yet. I'm filling up the tank, topping the washer fluid, checking oil and coolant levels, tire pressure, ready to rock. Run to the grocery store and get back notice the CEL is on. Mad dash about town to find a reader cause I misplaced my bluetooth OBD MX (DOH! its so small) and I get codes P 2196 and 2198, Oxygen sensor signal bias stuck rich bank 1 sensor 1, and bank 2 sensor 1. I erased it, drove to DC and back and haven't seen it again yet. Is it time to replace upstream oxygen sensors? Is my engine running rich for another reason? Code hasn't come back yet, maybe it was a fluke 1 off reading? I think the sensors aren't that much, but they can become seized in place making replacement a pain. I plan to ignore this unless it comes back, anyone with different thoughts? Thanks all.
@runningonfords
How many miles on the O2s? If bought used, you never changed them, they could be originals. How many miles on the vehicle? imp

In pretty sure they're originals. Im at >110,000. I may need to just change these it seems. This was a Michigan to Florida highway vehicle for it's first 90k as best I can tell. Do you generally change the upstream and downstream sensors together? I would think so. Thanks again.

If it is off now and has stayed off, I would just monitor it and keep going. It might have been bad gas, damp connectors etc. If it comes back on again then I would change them out. Just what I would do.

In pretty sure they're originals. Im at >110,000. I may need to just change these it seems. This was a Michigan to Florida highway vehicle for it's first 90k as best I can tell. Do you generally change the upstream and downstream sensors together? I would think so. Thanks again.
@runningonfords

When you get new O2s, pay close attention to the fact that the front and rear are NOT interchangeable. The OEM connectors prevent that by location of the little tangs on them. I've seen Walker replacement O2s with NO lugs, which allows plug-in into the wrong location. Other makes may do that too, in order to service more applications. imp

@runningonfords

When you get new O2s, pay close attention to the fact that the front and rear are NOT interchangeable. The OEM connectors prevent that by location of the little tangs on them. I've seen Walker replacement O2s with NO lugs, which allows plug-in into the wrong location. Other makes may do that too, in order to service more applications. imp

Hey, thanks for the heads up on this. I'll be sure to check part numbers are unique if I replace them soon. ANOTHER QUESTION, if I may hijack my own thread, related to the Canister Purge Valve. I've seen now that codes are thrown for rich or lean conditions if the canister purge valve is broke/stuck. When I was driving home on the Pennsylvania turnpike, I had essentially gone from a full tank in D.C. to empty via highway speeds, like 10 miles left. When I inserted the gas nozzle, there was an audible vacuum. It went hissssssssss for a bit and I could hear it. I hadn't noticed this before and am wondering if it is normal? Anyone else get the vacuum effect in the gas tank when filling after driving a long way? Thanks again.

Hey, thanks for the heads up on this. I'll be sure to check part numbers are unique if I replace them soon. ANOTHER QUESTION, if I may hijack my own thread, related to the Canister Purge Valve. I've seen now that codes are thrown for rich or lean conditions if the canister purge valve is broke/stuck. When I was driving home on the Pennsylvania turnpike, I had essentially gone from a full tank in D.C. to empty via highway speeds, like 10 miles left. When I inserted the gas nozzle, there was an audible vacuum. It went hissssssssss for a bit and I could hear it. I hadn't noticed this before and am wondering if it is normal? Anyone else get the vacuum effect in the gas tank when filling after driving a long way? Thanks again.
@runningonfords
Wish I could help you, but I'm not really "up" on the purge system too well. imp

Hmm, actually, in hindsight I'm not sure if it was a vacuum effect (sucking in) or there was pressure in the tank (blowing out) when I inserted the gas pump nozzle. I thought it was sucking air in but I could be wrong... Any thoughts

Back