P2196 and P2198...what to check | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P2196 and P2198...what to check

Guys,

Did you also observe high fuel consumption with the malfunctioning Vapor Canister Purge Valve in service?

TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P1450, P2196, P2198 help needed!

Im needing some help.

Had check engine light scanned and got the listed codes. So I replaced MAF sensor and purge valve.

As soon as I turned the key on the service advance trac light and traction control off light came on. Once I start the car it makes a very pronounced clunk sound(while still in park). When I reved the engine it would shake the whole car.

I then put the old MAF and purge valve back in and those problems went away.

Any ideas?

It's in a 2013 Explorer with 3.5 xlt.

Fingers crossed on this one. I cleaned my Vapor Canister Purge Valve with some Sea Foam spray and put dielectric grease on the contacts (habit now for anything I disconnect on this problematic vehicle). Simply sprayed some Sea Foam in each of the openings, let it soak for a bit then shook it out. Repeated twice and reassembled. No more SES light.

I am really hoping to get rid of this thing soon so I may not post a follow-up on this one.

Cleaning it seems to have worked... This really is an easy fix, thanks ssilence for the original DIY post.

Hi,
I would like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone for sharing their issue with their 2012 Explorer not starting after filling up. I too had this issue with my 2012 Explorer XLT for several months now, with same codes after engine light pops up.
With the help of this forum, which I only came across last week I have now been able to resolve this issue by replacing the purge valve as indicated. Once replaced, I filled up on gas and no issue starting. I took my vehicle to a independent garage to have this completed, as the dealer previously had me replace numerous parts costing excessive amounts of money.
My on Island Ford dealer with their supposedly ford trained mechanics is a big joke.

Thank you all for the information shared, greatly appreciated.

Hi,
I would like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone for sharing their issue with their 2012 Explorer not starting after filling up. I too had this issue with my 2012 Explorer XLT for several months now, with same codes after engine light pops up.................................Thank you all for the information shared, greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum Caygirl. :wave:
That's what the Forum is for.:thumbsup:

Peter

My base 2014 Explorer had check engine with both P2198 and P2196 codes showing. The car was not showing any physical problems - appeared to run normally.

Using advice in this thread, I changed the vapor canister purge valve on my own and it was very easy - (purchased part $40 (retail 49) at ford dealer.)

Also dealer said they had this in already in stock and sell a lot of them... hmmm.

All is working well so far with no codes. Thanks everyone! I did a blow check (using straw) and the valve was stuck open.

A few notes - wife ran car to empty just prior. Car is also overdue for oil change... So this matched another forum owner’s car. Will update if anything changes.

had A CEL come on today, pulled the codes:
P0430 x2, not sure why it showed it twice
P2196
P2198

All seem to link to catalytic converters failure, fuel injector issue, or exhaust leak.

Does anyone else have any input on the matter?

Always address ancillary codes before a p0430 cat con code.

Check your freeze frame data for clues. Check for misfires, no spark. The codes indicate a rich condition, not necessarily caused by injectors. Could be a/f sensor.

Always address ancillary codes before a p0430 cat con code.

Check your freeze frame data for clues. Check for misfires, no spark. The codes indicate a rich condition, not necessarily caused by injectors. Could be a/f sensor.

The tool I have does not do freeze frame, I’ll just drive it easy until I can take it to the shop Monday.

had A CEL come on today, pulled the codes:
P0430 x2, not sure why it showed it twice
P2196
P2198

All seem to link to catalytic converters failure, fuel injector issue, or exhaust leak.

Does anyone else have any input on the matter?
Your thread was moved to this one on the same issue.
As for the P0430 code, a 'Search' feature brought these up;
P0420 and P0430 Codes
P0430 and FORSCAN

Peter

@blanchard7684 "This could be as easy as finding a vacuum line loose"

Please explain to this old dummy how a vacuum leak, which means EXCESS air, can be interpreted as EXCESS fuel? imp

My wife's 2012 Ford Explorer got the codes P2196 and P2198 recently. They have since cleared, but wanted to know what I should check first. Any suggestions???

My wife’s 2013 Explorer XLT w/82K miles (3.5L V6) stalled at a fast-food drive-through and when restarted, set off an audible alarm together with the red “oil pressure” idiot light. Interestingly, the yellow “check engine” light did NOT appear.

I would have parked the car right then and there, and had it towed to the dealer. But, my wife drove it next door to a tire dealer (!) who apparently pulled the dipstick, saw that the oil level was normal, and told me wife that the car was “OK to drive.“ What a dope.

My wife drove the car 25 miles with the red “oil pressure” light illuminated. LUCKILY, apparently there really was adequate oil pressure. The dealer did more than two hours diagnostic work. They told me that the red “oil pressure” indicator light was “stuck” in the “on” position due to the following codes: P2196 and P2198. I find this very odd.

I’m not happy that the Ford dealer took two hours (at $160/hour) to locate the problem after reading the codes P2196 & P2198. That’s $320 just for the diagnosis. Then, an additional $178 in parts + labor to fix the issue. They tell me the car needs a new AU5Z9C915B Purge Valve Assembly (the OEM part that costs about $38 online).

They said that the Evaporation Purge Valve had become “restricted” and that it wasn’t obvious when they were doing diagnostics because in worked “intermittently.” In other words, it seemed to be doing its job until it didn’t do its job. There goes two hours labor at $160/hour.

I’m not a happy camper. My wife’s 2013 Explorer had a HOLE in the exhaust manifold that cost us $1000 to repair (ouch!) only 6 weeks ago. Now, this. Car is a pampered, garaged vehicle that we use on long highway trips. It is well-maintained. We use the Mobil-1 full-synthetic and the best WIX filters. There’s no excuse for these recent issues on an 82K mile 2013. What’s next?

My wife’s 2013 Explorer XLT w/82K miles (3.5L V6) stalled at a fast-food drive-through and when restarted, set off an audible alarm together with the red “oil pressure” idiot light. Interestingly, the yellow “check engine” light did NOT appear.

I would have parked the car right then and there, and had it towed to the dealer. But, my wife drove it next door to a tire dealer (!) who apparently pulled the dipstick, saw that the oil level was normal, and told me wife that the car was “OK to drive.“ What a dope.

My wife drove the car 25 miles with the red “oil pressure” light illuminated. LUCKILY, apparently there really was adequate oil pressure. The dealer did more than two hours diagnostic work. They told me that the red “oil pressure” indicator light was “stuck” in the “on” position due to the following codes: P2196 and P2198. I find this very odd.

I’m not happy that the Ford dealer took two hours (at $160/hour) to locate the problem after reading the codes P2196 & P2198. That’s $320 just for the diagnosis. Then, an additional $178 in parts + labor to fix the issue. They tell me the car needs a new AU5Z9C915B Purge Valve Assembly (the OEM part that costs about $38 online).

They said that the Evaporation Purge Valve had become “restricted” and that it wasn’t obvious when they were doing diagnostics because in worked “intermittently.” In other words, it seemed to be doing its job until it didn’t do its job. There goes two hours labor at $160/hour.

I’m not a happy camper. My wife’s 2013 Explorer had a HOLE in the exhaust manifold that cost us $1000 to repair (ouch!) only 6 weeks ago. Now, this. Car is a pampered, garaged vehicle that we use on long highway trips. It is well-maintained. We use the Mobil-1 full-synthetic and the best WIX filters. There’s no excuse for these recent issues on an 82K mile 2013. What’s next?
@Larry Jordan

You might buy a Chevy and have still more headaches than you experience now. Note my last post above yours went unanswered. imp

@blanchard7684 "This could be as easy as finding a vacuum line loose"

Please explain to this old dummy how a vacuum leak, which means EXCESS air, can be interpreted as EXCESS fuel? imp
That's what I've come to think. I'm working on an explorer with the 3.7 and I'm thinking its got to be an intermittent vacuum issue. I've addressed all of the other causes and that's all i can think would cause it. Ive also been told by ford that damage to the exhaust after the sensors can cause a problem. How I don't know, but that's something I've seen on other Explorers. And that's coming from Ford.

That's what I've come to think. I'm working on an explorer with the 3.7 and I'm thinking its got to be an intermittent vacuum issue. I've addressed all of the other causes and that's all i can think would cause it. Ive also been told by ford that damage to the exhaust after the sensors can cause a problem. How I don't know, but that's something I've seen on other Explorers. And that's coming from Ford.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back