My EX is in the hospital :( | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My EX is in the hospital :(

Here is my replacement. A 2019 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 with SYNC 3.

57546451_2377420352492434_3892642470839713792_n.jpg

57548357_396845717807196_8286385802670243840_n.jpg

57564603_333800650608076_6900235702600990720_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I approve :D

Too bad the shop didn’t low ball everything and then get you back into a totaled vehicle...:laugh:

Too bad the shop didn’t low ball everything and then get you back into a totaled vehicle...:laugh:
Seems like the shop may have been hoping for iust that. I doubt they were helping the op to assure the vehicle was totaled.

Here is what the totaled one looked like when I walled in to get my stuff for the first time.
Poor baby.....

53B65064-5501-4CF3-A7B3-CB28D3CBDFA2.jpeg

well, that had some time and materials in that already.

well, that had some time and materials in that already.

For sure. The hood and roof had already been replaced and a lot of the dents on the sides had been worked on not to mention the hatch that isnt in the pic. Everything is 100% final now so stress level should start to come down! The worst car buying experience at ford I have ever had!!!!

So you said "worst buying experience...." was this for the replacement or for the now totaled one? If the replacement, they knew they had a captive audience with an insurance payout and dropping national inventory" Sorry to hear this.

So you said "worst buying experience...." was this for the replacement or for the now totaled one? If the replacement, they knew they had a captive audience with an insurance payout and dropping national inventory" Sorry to hear this.
Yes - I was bummed and surprised to hear this as well! I had a great buying experience but of course it was tougher because it's really important to capture as much up front depreciation with an outgoing model like the '19 Explorers. I took my dealer below invoice, took their holdback, all rebates, and also didn't pay for dealer adds. But they did know I wanted the only Platinum trim white with ceramic interior and bench (which is the rarest of all those options, oddly to me). I was hinting that I'd be fine with the black version at a competitor but wasn't willing to push much further although I might have been able to. They were very honest with me, at least to the degree I find mimimally acceptable (another dealer lied to me about what invoice price means and about their dealer adds - I swore I wouldn't buy from them - and they were the Costco dealer). Some dealers might not be so willing to discount which I agree would be really frustrating at this point in the life cycle.

Yes - I was bummed and surprised to hear this as well! I had a great buying experience but of course it was tougher because it's really important to capture as much up front depreciation with an outgoing model like the '19 Explorers. I took my dealer below invoice, took their holdback, all rebates, and also didn't pay for dealer adds. But they did know I wanted the only Platinum trim white with ceramic interior and bench (which is the rarest of all those options, oddly to me). I was hinting that I'd be fine with the black version at a competitor but wasn't willing to push much further although I might have been able to. They were very honest with me, at least to the degree I find mimimally acceptable (another dealer lied to me about what invoice price means and about their dealer adds - I swore I wouldn't buy from them - and they were the Costco dealer). Some dealers might not be so willing to discount which I agree would be really frustrating at this point in the life cycle.

If dealers aren't willing to get 19MYs out the door now, then they're fooling themselves, not just you. Way better off to find someone else, because it is crazy to keep 19s on the lot, those costs add up.

The buying experience for the new explorer replacement was terrible.

**The salesmen assumed I was willing to pay full price for the vehicle and had already had paperwork ready for that price.
**The salesmen pretty much said "no" when I offered my price and wouldnt even ask the manager.
**The salesmen said Ford has the best APR rates around and there was no reason to check other lenders.
**The salesmen fought me over my demanding request to check other lenders (which I had done before I walked in the door and knew for damn sure I would get a better rate). He finally did what I asked and sure enough I got a better rate with Bank Of America.
**The Sales Manager came over and said there was nothing they could do to negotiate the price because I apparently agreed to pay full price when I put a $500 refundable deposit down on the vehicle to hold it (over the phone). NOTHING came up about agreement on anything. This was later confirmed when the manager and salesmen went to talk to the guy who called me to take the deposit.
**The Finance guy assumed I wanted the highest extended warranty they offer which was $40 more a month but over 5K for the duration of the loan. Like the salesmen the finance guy had already done paper work assuming I would agree to this addition without asking or offering any other options and was confused/upset why I turned that down and asked for other options.
**The manager eventually said he would come off the price by 1k and check other lenders for better rates to help me get the price of the vehicle down to what I needed it to be in order to make my monthly payments at the max I was willing to go.
**The manager stated I got a steal because the MSRP was like 42k and he said the dealer paid 39k and after fords rebates I got it for below what employees would get it for. I didn't believe a word this man said one bit.
**The manager was pissed and got up from the table abruptly and pretty much stormed off several times to go back to his office.
This was a very intimidating, frustrating, and the most unpleasant experience I have ever had from a dealer.

They simply wouldn’t have gotten a dollar of my money.

They simply wouldn’t have gotten a dollar of my money.

OP was at a disadvantage in that they didn't have a vehicle and needed one right quick. But still, if I dropped a penny walking out the door after the first salesmen pulled that ****, I'd pick it back up and keep walking. That is some serious bullshit. I always wonder how people become managers when they're such children.

For sure. The hood and roof had already been replaced and a lot of the dents on the sides had been worked on not to mention the hatch that isnt in the pic.
So, they were well on their way to repairing the car, huh? Who would've thunk it? I guess you should've taken it to a better shop that was so busy they were turning away work. Maybe then they wouldn't have even had a chance to look at it, let alone do about half the work to repair it in such a short time. Oh, and you probably should have kept driving it while you waited for your repair appt. Or, so I heard anyway....

So, they were well on their way to repairing the car, huh? Who would've thunk it? I guess you should've taken it to a better shop that was so busy they were turning away work. Maybe then they wouldn't have even had a chance to look at it, let alone do about half the work to repair it in such a short time. Oh, and you probably should have kept driving it while you waited for your repair appt. Or, so I heard anyway....
And the benefit would be what? He’d have a junked vehicle to drive for a short period of time?

And the benefit would be what? He’d have a junked vehicle to drive for a short period of time?
I was referring to the "formula" that was previously mentioned as a guaranteed slam dunk way to handle a vehicle that needs to be totalled. Not sure what you are talking about.

I was referring to the "formula" that was previously mentioned as a guaranteed slam dunk way to handle a vehicle that needs to be totalled. Not sure what you are talking about.
From what you quoted there was no telling what exactly you were talking about. I made a guess based on what you replied. Also pretty sure the words “guaranteed” and “slam dunk” were never used in this thread. So, now I’m the one who is not sure what you are talking about. The car was totaled, as it should have been. “Moving the goalposts” at a later date surely failed, and didn’t work out for this shop. Good for them.

they would not have gotten my sale, period .... with that style doing business. Granted the OP may have played his hand of the need and insurance and the dealership jumped on the opportunity.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what you quoted there was no telling what exactly you were talking about. I made a guess based on what you replied. Also pretty sure the words “guaranteed” and “slam dunk” were never used in this thread. So, now I’m the one who is not sure what you are talking about. The car was totaled, as it should have been. “Moving the goalposts” at a later date surely failed, and didn’t work out for this shop. Good for them.
Part sarcasm. Part hyperbole. I'm not writing a dissertation for university.

Anyway, use the formula. 60% of the time, it works everytime...

Back