PTU Problems | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked at the order guides and didn't see an option, but maybe other countries that import it have to add a hot weather package. I know the US Explorer Sports get the PTU cooler. My Fusion Sport even comes with one.

I looked at the order guides and didn't see an option, but maybe other countries that import it have to add a hot weather package. I know the US Explorer Sports get the PTU cooler. My Fusion Sport even comes with one.
I'm in Canada and it was never an option nor referenced anywhere in the literature as standard or optional.

I did a fluid extraction a couple weeks ago through the fill port using a shop air powered mity vac. Got about 9oz out and put in around 16oz in before it started dribbling out the fill hole. So, that means of the pint the manual specs, I was running with about half that quantity for 30k+ miles. Wow.

C3JfH33.jpg

I may have gotten the part# wrong, but I'm quite certain that non PIU Explorers did not come with a water cooled PTU off the assembly line.
IIRC, there was a member on here who paid around $3000 for the upgrade on his 2018 EX Sport or Platinum, which was highlighted as a paid option on his window sticker.

From what I have been able to gather, you are correct - water cooled PTUs were installed only on PIUs from factory.

Edit: 3.5 ecoboosts in general. I have heard that the 3.7 Duratec on the PIUs also gets a water cooled PTU...

My Platinum definitely had a water cooled PTU from the factory as I remember the service tech mentioning it.

IMG-0064.jpg

Add me to the list. 2016 Sport with 20,000 miles. Started to feel a shudder or jerk while driving at a constant speed on the highway, then the smell of gear oil, then the "4WD is disabled" message on the dashboard.

Dealer ordered me a replacement PTU Part number DG1Z7251F and they are going to install tomorrow or Monday.

Is this part number for the new and improved version of the PTU? Does this version of PTU come with a drain hole?

My Sport now has 28,800 miles and I had been noticing an occasional slight one time jerk in the drivetrain every 4 or 5 days. Nowhere near as bad as when the original PTU failed. Then I noticed a few drops of fluid on the garage floor. It seemed to be coolant. Took the Sport in and they said the replacement PTU is leaking (coolant I guess) and they are going to replace the PTU (for the 2nd time) on Monday. Do the PTU's leak coolant???

My Sport now has 28,800 miles and I had been noticing an occasional slight one time jerk in the drivetrain every 4 or 5 days. Nowhere near as bad as when the original PTU failed. Then I noticed a few drops of fluid on the garage floor. It seemed to be coolant. Took the Sport in and they said the replacement PTU is leaking (coolant I guess) and they are going to replace the PTU (for the 2nd time) on Monday. Do the PTU's leak coolant???
Sorry to hear about yours failing again! Sure, they leak coolant if they are water cooled as our Platinum models are supposed to be.

The dealer advised that it was not coolant leaking from the PTU but gear oil from inside the PTU. They said a 'vent tube' attached to the PTU is cracked and its leaking from there. They are replacing the 'vent tube' tomorrow.

My 16 limited was made 7/15. Is there a chance this PTU will have a drain plug? I have 69k miles and would like to change it asap.

There's seems to be a lot of misinformation on the internet as to when they permanently stopped using the PTU's without the drain plug and permanently started using PTU's with the drain plug. If there's even exact time frames. I would just drive it up on ramps or put it on a jack stand and crawl under and eyeball it.

That's the plan I guess. Lowest price I can find on the MC 75w140 is around $20/qt.

At that price point would running something like Amsoil SG, or Redline Lightweight be a better choice?

I would not be afraid to use the Amsoil gear lube, thats what I put in mine 10k ago and its running perfect.

Last question for everyone who has done this. Im looking for a pump to remove the fluid atm. I do not have access to an air compressor atm so it will need to be power or hand driven.

I have been looking at this el chepo one on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075S2P61J/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A1A4WAEGJNR9ED&psc=1

Has anyone used that? If not what would you advise?

I have that one and it works good. I purchased it to change PTU fluid on my wife's CX9 ~ 5 years ago. I used it to siphon the rear diff on my explorer when I changed it as well.

I had access to my motorcycle battery, which I placed behind the vehicle. I don't think the cables will reach to the front.

Mine came with a few hose sizes. One was small diameter and a little stiff (looks like that one has the same) which worked to fish to the bottom of the diff.

It was well worth the money in my eyes.

I recommend making sure the fluid is at least warm.

I used that one also and worked good on my 11. Warm fluid helps for sure. I used it to fill it also. I used about 12” of 1/4” OD copper line- the soft kind u can bend by hand. Made a French curve shape to it and I could easily feel the bottom of the case as I menuvered it thru the fill hole. The hose in the kit fits over the copper tubing. I pulled 15 of 16 ounces out quick and easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds good, and that pump is nice on the wallet. I was thinking of maybe trying a synthetic 80w140 or Lightweight Shockproof. I would love to be able to last 25k miles between changes.

Back