How To: Install aftermarket sub with stock enclosure in non-factory sub 2nd Gen Ex | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Install aftermarket sub with stock enclosure in non-factory sub 2nd Gen Ex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may be fine, I was thinking of the room I had when I switched to 6x9's (rear only). Since mine is a Sport they are located in the panels, I had to notch a decent amount. Havent put the passenger panel back on yet, it has a found a new home for months in the garage...

Holy **** dude, thank you so much for those pictures. I am going to bypass my factory amp this weekend and these pictures ARE BETTER THAN NOTHING! Now I know how to where to run the wires from the headunit to where the amp is. I already got an bypass harness. Oh man. Thanks!

Glad they could help! :thumbsup:

It's out of a 2000 Mounty. I hope the grill fits over it :eek: Didn't think of that. :rolleyes:

If it doesn't, you could look into aftermarket grills. I used a 2pc steel mesh grill from http://www.parts-express.com. I used a 10" grill, since an 8" would not cover the squared opening in the oem cover. I went with the 2pc mesh for a cleaner look, compared to the usual waffle style grill with grill clamps. I plan to someday find some spray paint lose to the OEM Willow Green color, and spray the cover and mesh grill. To prying eyes, that would not attract huge attention.

260-426_l.jpg

Image courtesy of http:/ /www.parts-express.com

DSC00451.jpg

@ edman-

You're not supposed to sell on the site without an elite membership. Also, please don't post the offending item in someone else's thread while trolling for business... :)

Just wanted to come here and thank you once again, this morning I went at it, and took part the whole thing. Disconnected the wires from the factory amp, connected the bypass harness, ran the wires under the carpet in the trunk, to the pillars by the passenger side. Note: when running the wires to the headunit from the trunk or amp or wherever, to make life easier, there are gaps under the weathering strips when taken off so easier to run the wires. Did that, ran the wires to the passenger side foot area, and then up the glovebox to behind the headunit. Installed all wiring, and wow.

I should have taken pictures and made a guide but was too excited to get it working. Thanks man. Sorry to hijack the thread also. :salute:

Oh for the seatbelt, T50 is fine, I didn't have one, instead I had a T46, came right off with that as well.

toy,

Willow green interior doesnt appear to be very popular, didnt realize you had it. I used Duplicolor interior paint in black. I have looked for years for the Willow Green exterior and interior paint in a can with No Luck.

I like what you did with your aftermarket grill. Black would look good if you cant find willow green. AND if you do find it please post or PM ME!!

( or you could always wrap the cover with Coors Light Logo's?? :eek::D:) )

I have a 2003 Mountaineer with the factory sub. I put in a new in dash dvd player, and i just ordered the 8 inch JL audio sub from the original post. Does anyone know if i need to modify the stock box or just find one from a junk yard?

I would look for a 2002-2005 thread to post into, this is a 1995-2001 thread, totally different sub kit...

Hi guys! I just joined the forum due to this post!

Joe -thank you so much! the info you have posted is gold! I Have a 2001 eb expedition with the mach sound system (it has the subwoofer in the back with one amplifier for it). The amp blew recently and I am looking to replace it. I took everything apart following your info and took the factory amp out. Its easy when you have a guide book like this!

1. I would like to use the cabling that is already inside of my car. Is this possible? what I mean is to take the cable that runs into the factory subwoofer amp and just reconnect it to a post factory subwoofer amp? I can figure out which wires inside the cable provide the power using a multimeter, but the ones delivering the sound are stumping me.

2. the subwoofer housing has space for an amp of max. 8" x 11". smaller would be better. Any suggestions which amp I should get?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Holy thread revival i know but this post and the OP seem to be the go tos for the question or two i have. I'm slowly swapping some of the amenities from what's left of my 97 eddie to my 97 xlt. I was wondering about the factory head unit and antenna mostly. On the xlt stereo theres the typical coaxial antenna cable that plugs to the back of the unit. But on the eddie/ limited head unit theres no port for the coax. Just the 8 and 6(?) Pin connectors. My question is this, is there a way to use the Eddie h/u in the xlt and keep the functionality of the radio??

You would need to swap the entire Eddie system into it... Harness and all, unfortunately. Lots more wiring from the head unit back than in the XLT.

thank you guys i did this to my 98 explorer xlt V8 i love the way it sound much better then i had before it was simple to do took my 30 mins to install the hole thing it only cost me 40 buck
5 bucks for the OEM enclosure(empty no sub or amp)
35 bucks for a 10in sub (made the hole bigger 1 1/2 bigger)
FullSizeRender1_zps0m10csyb.jpg

Im trying to do much the same thing using a first generation box and a 8" jbl i have. the box is already hollowed. And it came with the factory JBL/FORD amps.. (is one for speakers and one for amplifiers?) I have a 97' with the RCU in the back like you have in the beginning of this install.. I know this post is probably dead.. However I thought I should ask, how one would run a sub using the factory RCU from the 97' and amps from the 91'.. is that possible? worth it? I also happen to have an A/D/S PH15 WITH A/D/S 642IX crossover, and Clarion cz101 headunit. Can I make it so that I can run the old or new head unit, with this setup???

The Factory Amps from the 91' is rated at 290 watts (is that correct?) the PH15 is rated at 300watt. I assume this is barely enough, or hardly enough to power 8' JBL sufficiently.

What are some suggestions from you guys?

The guy I got the 91 sub boxes from had the PH15 A/D/S running to 2 MAXXBASS 103 controllers, while running 6 RCA's to the front headunit. That box was in a competition truck. and was gear for sq. Im looking for a little simpler... any tips/points from the wise men at Explorer Forum???

Nice install!

Ya, the 8" box has a lot more volume as well.

As an aside: I did notice that the difference in using the stock radio amp pass-thru radio harness in my '97 vs. the non-amp setup just using the wiring in my '00 resulted in a lot better sound quality as far as bass response in the '00. In my '97 I had the gain set at about 90%, Low loudness, bass +1 or +2 on the deck. Now, I can run the gain at 50-55%, Low loudness (I know it's not the best for the sub...) and bass at -1 to 0 on the deck and achieve the same sound. I can't run it as loud as it was, there is too much bass. (For me anyway)

Hey Joe, thanks for the great information and especially the photos! I'm not quite following you on this aside; the system has better bass response with the stock amp (pass-thru harness) than the aftermarket amp? Would you mind explaining more?

Hey Joe, thanks for the great information and especially the photos! I'm not quite following you on this aside; the system has better bass response with the stock amp (pass-thru harness) than the aftermarket amp? Would you mind explaining more?

Joe hasn't been around for a few years now. Somebody else might chime in about this, and help you out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back