List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 54 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Well covered/discussed...using the search feature, upper right of page, returns this thread:

Hood Paint bubble issue only

In that thread is some info on what/how Ford is fixing vehicles affected.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, this looks like it’s been an on going problem for the last 5 to 6 years. Just noticed on our, just barely out of warranty 2016 Explorer, the same bubbling paint on the front lower of the hood. Doesn’t look like Ford has done anything to remedy this issue at the source. Don’t know if I should waste my time going down to the dealer or not, I know the run around I probably get. I use to work in dealerships so I know game. I wonder if there is a class action going on with this like there is the water pump problem.

Wow, this looks like it’s been an on going problem for the last 5 to 6 years. Just noticed on our, just barely out of warranty 2016 Explorer, the same bubbling paint on the front lower of the hood. Doesn’t look like Ford has done anything to remedy this issue at the source. Don’t know if I should waste my time going down to the dealer or not, I know the run around I probably get. I use to work in dealerships so I know game. I wonder if there is a class action going on with this like there is the water pump problem.

https://facebook.com/ForTheInjured/posts/10155555919675896

I'm guessing that your thread was merged with this existing one. If you check page 11 of your Warranty Guide, you will see that this is covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage.

Peter

Mine is in the shop now. Going on 2 weeks. A friend of mine that works in a local body shop (not the one Ford uses) says they’ve come up with a new primer to rectify the problem. We’ll see.

Mine is in the shop now. Going on 2 weeks. A friend of mine that works in a local body shop (not the one Ford uses) says they’ve come up with a new primer to rectify the problem. We’ll see.

Would you be able to find out what it's called? This sounds like it would be incredibly useful for future reference, or those out of warranty.

As Peter said, paint is covered for 5 years/unlimited mileage on the 16+. Get it in to your dealer for a hood replacement and repaint.

Just got the Explorer back today but the weather is so crappy I can’t really tell how good or bad of a job they did. This is a new hood not repainted,at least according to the service advisor

Well...........................I thought that I had dogged the bullet on this one but after 21,000 miles and close to 3 years I have the bubbles on the hood.

I had to head over to Denver 120 miles away and see the dealer about a TPM sensor in the tire. When I had washed my Explorer a week before everything looked normal with no problems. A 120 mile drive through snow and slush and I pulled into the dealer. Naturally they don't have a tire sensor in stock so I'll have to go back next week. I did some other business in town and when I got home I headed over to the car wash to get rid of the crud all over my Explorer. When I got to the hood I hit it with the spray and noticed what looked like bug splatter that wouldn't come off, so I ran my finger over it. Yep, the paint is blistering under the invisible bug shield. So it looks like when I return next week they will get it for a little bit longer than planned.

This has been a problem since the Third gen Explorers, not sure if the second gens had an aluminum hood.
Glad to hear they have changed warranty terms for 16+
The hood will never perforate. I have a 2003 that I noticed the bubbling around 34-35k miles. Took to dealer but could not leave with them due to a trip to Florida, got back with almost 38k miles and never followed up.
The paint never came off the entire hood as I've read some ppl speculate. The spots never really got much larger over the years. The paint on those spots did come off.

Now today is a different situation because they have changed assembly plants from back then. But my speculation was the St, Louis plant was causing most of the bad quality Explorers back then. Kansas City ones did NOT have a wave in the rear qtr panel over the gas tank opening, nor did I ever notice any bad paint on KC built Explorers that I had looked at.

I know they changed assembly plant locations for 5th gen, not sure if expanded to a second location years back due to demand.

Ford has had this issue for about 20 years. I cant understand how they tolerate this. Continuous improvement, kaizens etc should all have taken place with the supplier to get a new process etc in place. Poor quality

They've been using aluminum hoods for 20 years?

Peter

Just noticed bubbling on our 2016. It is 4 months out of bumper to bumper warranty. Read up on the subject and called Ford being very skeptical they will do anything. As expected, they told me to go suck an egg. Paint is a part of of the 36 month warranty and thats expired so this is now my problem. The 5 year warranty is perforation only and is irrelevant to the hood, as it is aluminum and will never rust through. Awesome. Will be driving around in a 3.5 year old vehicle with 18k miles that sticketrs for $45k and chipping paint on the hood. Ill be sure to note to everyone who asks that this is the best Ford can do.
Also, started looking at every explorer I walk past. So far I am at 5 out of 5. Every single one of them had bubbling hood paint. This is beyond mind boggling. How can they find this acceptable? Its a reflection of their general approach to techinical issues and customer service. If there ever is another Ford that fits my needs, it will really have to rise far far above its competition for me to consider this brand again. I highly doubt that will ever happen.

I guess that I may of dogged the bullet.

When I had my TPMS replaced in one tire I mentioned the bubble issue to the service writer and he said that they would check it out. When I picked up my Explorer he said that they forwarded the issue to Ford this was on Tuesday. Wednesday night I got a call from the service writer and he told me that Ford had approved of the replacement of the hood and repainting. My in service date was 6/2/2016 and I only have 21000 miles on it.

Can I wipe the sweat off my brow now?

Just noticed bubbling on our 2016. It is 4 months out of bumper to bumper warranty. Read up on the subject and called Ford being very skeptical they will do anything. As expected, they told me to go suck an egg. Paint is a part of of the 36 month warranty and thats expired so this is now my problem. The 5 year warranty is perforation only and is irrelevant to the hood, as it is aluminum and will never rust through. Awesome. Will be driving around in a 3.5 year old vehicle with 18k miles that sticketrs for $45k and chipping paint on the hood. Ill be sure to note to everyone who asks that this is the best Ford can do.
Also, started looking at every explorer I walk past. So far I am at 5 out of 5. Every single one of them had bubbling hood paint. This is beyond mind boggling. How can they find this acceptable? Its a reflection of their general approach to techinical issues and customer service. If there ever is another Ford that fits my needs, it will really have to rise far far above its competition for me to consider this brand again. I highly doubt that will ever happen.

Not just Explorers, but everything out of Chicago and other plants, too. Poor quality.

If you read through the last few pages here or check the Warranty Guide that came with the vehicle you will see that the warranty on this aluminum panel corrosion issue is 5 years, unlimited mileage.

Peter

Ill be darned.....you are right. Thanks. I will be calling them again, with the warranty booklet in hand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Ford rep continued to insist that paint is a part of the 36 bumper to bumper warranty that has expired, I started quoting out of the warranty guide about the 5 year warranty on the aluminum panels. Then she went off to "look into it" and came back telling me to take the car to the dealer to get it addressed. Called the dealer and he said they will replace the hood and paint once Ford approves it. Assuming that they replace the hood, it seems that the new hood will experience the same issue a few years down the road. It does not seem like they have changed their fabrication/prep/painting process.

Back