• Register Today It's free!

How to adjust ATF level

Schrader

Reaction score
City, State
Vicksburg,MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Just bought a 2016 Explorer Sport with 80k miles a few weeks ago.

While checking the fluid levels, it looks like there may be too much ATF in the transmission. I don’t know the service history or whether the ATF has ever been changed/flushed before.

What’s the best way to remove/adjust the level?

At 80k miles, is it best to just have the ATF changed and be done with it?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was it running and in park when you checked it?

Welcome to the Forum Schrader.:wave:
Did you check the fluid level when the engine was hot with the engine running? A dealer should be able to provide you with the vehicle's service history.
The Owner's Manual suggests changing the fluid at 150k miles if used under normal conditions. It also shows shorter intervals for other types of conditions. I'm not aware of any way of draining any fluid except for the drain plug. Not sure if you can siphon any of it through the filler tube.

Peter

When mine was overfilled I was able to put a small dia plastic tube down the fill tube and suck it out with a cheap electric pump. A vac pump would work too. You need a 1/4” tube and helps if fluid is warm.

There is a drain plug on the transmission.

This may sound silly, but is there a tranny dipstick on the ‘16? My wife’s ‘17 does not have one that I am aware of-the manual states that it is a sealed unit and to take it to a dealer/service dept. if to needs checked, and to change it at either 100K or 150K miles-can’t remember which off the top of my head. Call me paranoid, but I plan to take it AAMCO at 50K for a fluid & filter change.

Sam

This may sound silly, but is there a tranny dipstick on the ‘16? My wife’s ‘17 does not have one that I am aware of-the manual states that it is a sealed unit and to take it to a dealer/service dept. if to needs checked, and to change it at either 100K or 150K miles-can’t remember which off the top of my head. Call me paranoid, but I plan to take it AAMCO at 50K for a fluid & filter change.

Sam

Not one on my 16.

Not one on my 16.

There should be a dipstick/filler neck right under the factory airbox.
You can see it without removing the airbox, but will have to remove the air box to access it.

Sam
Page 285/286 talks about using the dipstick in the 2017 Manual. Page 284 of the 2016 Manual shows how to check the fluid levels with the dipstick for that model. Both Manuals show the location of the dipstick on page 277.

Peter

I should have clarified: mine is a 2.3L EB. On page 283, the manual states that "The automatic transmission does not have a transmission fluid dipstick." I didn't realize there is one for the 3.5.

Sam

There should be a dipstick/filler neck right under the factory airbox.
You can see it without removing the airbox, but will have to remove the air box to access it.

Thanks!

I should have clarified: mine is a 2.3L EB. On page 283, the manual states that "The automatic transmission does not have a transmission fluid dipstick." I didn't realize there is one for the 3.5.

Sam

The 6F50 and 6F55 transmissions have dipsticks. If yours is the 2.3 without the tow package you should have the 6F35, which might not.

The 6F50 and 6F55 transmissions have dipsticks. If yours is the 2.3 without the tow package you should have the 6F35, which might not.

We have a 2017 XLT 2.3 EB Explorer with the 6F35 and it doesn't have a dip stick. I've been doing cold drain and fills, always measured 4 quarts drained and same added, and so far that has been fine. I run the Explorer onto ramps the night before and change it stone cold the next morning. I leave the replacement ATF outdoors so it's the same temperature. Thank goodness it's so easy to change the ATF in this vehicle. So far this has worked for me and I really like not having to drop a AT pan along with it's mess.

Whimsey

We have a 2017 XLT 2.3 EB Explorer with the 6F35 and it doesn't have a dip stick. I've been doing cold drain and fills, always measured 4 quarts drained and same added, and so far that has been fine. I run the Explorer onto ramps the night before and change it stone cold the next morning. I leave the replacement ATF outdoors so it's the same temperature. Thank goodness it's so easy to change the ATF in this vehicle. So far this has worked for me and I really like not having to drop a AT pan along with it's mess.

Whimsey

Could you shoot some pics of where, how, etc you do it next time?

It could be really helpful for other members.

Procedure to check the fluid on a 6F35 transmission.

6F35.jpg

Here´s a PDF with the complete procedure to adjust fluid level on the 6F35 transmission

Attachments

• 6F35.pdf
    555.9 KB · Views: 418

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Solid.

I don't have a 6F35, but thought it would be good for others.

Back