• Register Today It's free!

Turbo Lag

whimsey

Reaction score
City, State
sparta, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
My wife has a 2017 2.3 EB Explorer. It accelerates fine EXCEPT if you floor it either from a dead stop or even while rolling. Flooring it is not done often however It's done this lag from new. There seems to be a hesitation, it doesn't stall but doesn't accelerate until a few seconds later, then it's fine. "Normal" everyday acceleration is great. It has a twin scroll single turbo which is suppose to ramp up quickly. Anybody else experience this "lag" with their Ecoboost engines when they floor it? It may be the nature of the "beast" but I'd be interested in other peoples experiences with their Ecoboost's and flooring it.

Whimsey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife has a 2017 2.3 EB Explorer. It accelerates fine EXCEPT if you floor it either from a dead stop or even while rolling. Flooring it is not done often however It's done this lag from new. There seems to be a hesitation, it doesn't stall but doesn't accelerate until a few seconds later, then it's fine. "Normal" everyday acceleration is great. It has a twin scroll single turbo which is suppose to ramp up quickly. Anybody else experience this "lag" with their Ecoboost engines when they floor it? It may be the nature of the "beast" but I'd be interested in other peoples experiences with their Ecoboost'
I believe drive by wire is the problem with a slow throttle response. My 17 platty has the same problem. My 12 MKt did not. I understand peddle commander will fix the problem.

My wife has a 2017 2.3 EB Explorer. It accelerates fine EXCEPT if you floor it either from a dead stop or even while rolling. Flooring it is not done often however It's done this lag from new. There seems to be a hesitation, it doesn't stall but doesn't accelerate until a few seconds later, then it's fine. "Normal" everyday acceleration is great. It has a twin scroll single turbo which is suppose to ramp up quickly. Anybody else experience this "lag" with their Ecoboost engines when they floor it? It may be the nature of the "beast" but I'd be interested in other peoples experiences with their Ecoboost's and flooring it.

Whimsey

Have you tried it in Sport mode 'S'?
I've found that throttle response is faster than in Drive 'D'.

Autotragic...

Have you tried it in Sport mode 'S'?
I've found that throttle response is faster than in Drive 'D'.

No, I've not tried "pedal to the medal" in Sport but will do first chance I get, thanks. I do usually use sport mode in "local" back road driving the rare time my wife let's me drive it ;).

Whimsey

I believe drive by wire is the problem with a slow throttle response. My 17 platty has the same problem. My 12 MKt did not. I understand peddle commander will fix the problem.

Thanks, what is "peddle commander" and how does it work?

Whimsey

What does "Autotragic" mean?

Whimsey
Sorry, it's a term (at least my group of friends up here)we use when comparing an automatic transmission vehicle to a manual transmission vehicle...as in the latter being a tragic in terms of overall driving experience and response.

I have experienced this in my 2.3L as well. I haven't tested it lately but from what I remember, it really is only if you the pedal down all the way.

Thanks, what is "peddle commander" and how does it work?

Whimsey
Lots of info on the Internet.
https://www.pedalcommander.com/?v=3e8d115eb4b3
Pedal Commander is a throttle response controller that removes response delays on your electronic accelerator pedal. Effectively, it allows your engine to respond faster so your car can accelerate faster!

Peter

Lots of info on the Internet.
https://www.pedalcommander.com/?v=3e8d115eb4b3
Pedal Commander is a throttle response controller that removes response delays on your electronic accelerator pedal. Effectively, it allows your engine to respond faster so your car can accelerate faster!

Peter

As I understand it, it's possible for the same effect to be achieved by using zip ties to take the slack out of one's throttle cable. Which is literally 1000x cheaper.

As I understand it, it's possible for the same effect to be achieved by using zip ties to take the slack out of one's throttle cable. Which is literally 1000x cheaper.

There is no throttle cable.

I have experienced this in my 2.3L as well. I haven't tested it lately but from what I remember, it really is only if you the pedal down all the way.

Yep, the same thing only if I you go full throttle, otherwise it's fine. That rarely happens but sometimes you need full throttle unfortunately.

Whimsey

Someone with some expertise or technical knowledge needs to chime in.

If selecting Sport Mode (S) changes the throttle actuation, that would be a winner.

Any other suggestions?

Whimsey

What gas are you using? If it´s 87 octane regular I´d suggest at least 91, better if 93 premium. I know what the manual says, you can use 87 bla bla bla. The best performance comes with 93 octane. With regular the PCM retards timing, lowers boost. It´s a whole different map to protect the engine, performance is going to suffer.
Give it a try, it only costs a few more bucks.

What gas are you using? If it´s 87 octane regular I´d suggest at least 91, better if 93 premium. I know what the manual says, you can use 87 bla bla bla. The best performance comes with 93 octane. With regular the PCM retards timing, lowers boost. It´s a whole different map to protect the engine, performance is going to suffer.
Give it a try, it only costs a few more bucks.

You'll need a few tanks of 93 to see a difference.

And it really isn't worth it, unless under severe driving conditions, such as very hot weather or towing.

Back