Dyno Failure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dyno Failure

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will save you all some trouble.
Fast forward to about 0:50.

Exciting to say the least. I would have loved to hear the actual sounds at the very moment

I’m surprised they don’t have some fire suppression directly above the engine bay.

Yeah he definitely looked super panicked. I’d always be expecting a fiery meltdown.

Not an Explorer but I would call this a major failure.

Parts Fail Sometimes.....
@shucker1
I worked in a dyno test lab for a number of years, with 3 dynos running each capable of having an engine ready at either end of the dyno shaft. Never once had a fire, but one incident, happened at around midnight, an END-864 Mack Truck engine, big V-8, threw a rod through it's block, the rod was about as thick as my wrist! Pieces of the block and pistons were thrown the length of the dyno room, some embedded in the block wall!

Night guy, working alone, it scared be-Jesus out of him, he quit the next day! imp

@shucker1
I worked in a dyno test lab for a number of years, with 3 dynos running each capable of having an engine ready at either end of the dyno shaft. Never once had a fire, but one incident, happened at around midnight, an END-864 Mack Truck engine, big V-8, threw a rod through it's block, the rod was about as thick as my wrist! Pieces of the block and pistons were thrown the length of the dyno room, some embedded in the block wall!

Night guy, working alone, it scared be-Jesus out of him, he quit the next day! imp
I did a bunch of systems upgrades at a major aerospace manufacturer. They had test rigs between 500-800hp that were designed to test then bearings they manufactured. They also had 8 rigs that load tested the single balls and separate rigs to test the bearing races.

"Thankfully we are prepared for such emergencies and we keep Fire Extinguishers Near By"

one guy gets one after a while
one guy disappears
one guy grabs one that is close

:wtf:

What do you think, a set of plug wires and a can of foaming Engine Brite? :snicker:

@imp ,

A long time ago I had the opportunity to meet and work with one of the design engineers from the old Mount Vernon, Ohio Foundry where the big Cooper Bessemer stationary engines were made.

I asked him how they came up with the design for these machines. We are talking about 1950's - 60's engineering so No Computers only slide rules. (You know what that is right?) LOL.

Simply put:

Engineers would come up with a concept unit and cast one out and build it.

Take it to the test bunker and run it till it blew up. Go in pick up all the left over parts and figure out what failed.

The component would be 25% stronger or larger on the next test.

This process was repeated unit a design unit could run 125% or more load for 72 hours continuous with out failure.

Production models were issued from that design.

Sounds like my kind of job where you get to force a 6'000 HP engine to have a "Cast Iron **** Fit".

I’d rather have timing chain issues than a bad transmission. At least I could do the chains myself.

That engine was running hot.

Back