Votes: 3 60.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Stevestihlmad

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer interceptor
My right rear toe link on my 2013 Explorer Interceptor has broken three times running, each time after being replaced by Ford Mechanics. Now they're telling me it's the fault of the Moog bushing. They claim Ford issued a warning about this. Anybody know if and when Ford has issued any kind of a warning about this? The Ford garage wants me to pay a bazillion bucks for towing and repairs when it seems to me their part is defective.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No maybe they are saying TSB, dont know. Ask them to clarify. Moog parts are not that they used to be. I would stay away from them, I have used lots of them and nothing but problems, reviews on internet reflect that. Moving forward, I would use motorcraft.

My 10 cents

Welcome to the Forum Steve.:wave:
I've recently had the recall done on the rear toe links on my 2017. Are you saying that your issue would have been covered under the Ford replacement warranty if not for the use of the Moog parts? I know that under the factory warranty any failure of a warrantied part that is traced back to the use of a non-Ford part will not be covered.
I'm not sure what the Poll is supposed to be. Are you asking if any members have had toe links fail/replaced?
Rear Suspension Toe Link Replacement

Peter

My right rear toe link on my 2013 Explorer Interceptor has broken three times running, each time after being replaced by Ford Mechanics. Now they're telling me it's the fault of the Moog bushing. They claim Ford issued a warning about this. Anybody know if and when Ford has issued any kind of a warning about this? The Ford garage wants me to pay a bazillion bucks for towing and repairs when it seems to me their part is defective.
You probably already know this, Ford just issued recall on this same issue. You should get reimbursed for your costs on this. It depends on manufacturing date and where it was built.

crrobbins

Welcome to the Forum Steve.:wave:
I've recently had the recall done on the rear toe links on my 2017. Are you saying that your issue would have been covered under the Ford replacement warranty if not for the use of the Moog parts? I know that under the factory warranty any failure of a warrantied part that is traced back to the use of a non-Ford part will not be covered.
I'm not sure what the Poll is supposed to be. Are you asking if any members have had toe links fail/replaced?
Rear Suspension Toe Link Replacement

Peter
Peter,
Did Ford replace your parts with heavier duty parts? I have scheduled to have recall completed. Just wondering if getting stronger toe-links.

crrobbins

You probably already know this, Ford just issued recall on this same issue. You should get reimbursed for your costs on this. It depends on manufacturing date and where it was built.

crrobbins
Only on model year (11-17).

All 5th gen Explorers from Chicago.

Peter,
Did Ford replace your parts with heavier duty parts? I have scheduled to have recall completed. Just wondering if getting stronger toe-links.

crrobbins
I really have no idea. The recall notice says to replace with "new forged toe link".

Peter

One would assume Ford spend an extra .02 per link to prevent from occurring again.

I really have no idea. The recall notice says to replace with "new forged toe link".

Peter
Thanks,
Local Ford dealer just performed recall. Surprisingly it only took them about 45 minutes, including realignment, to complete. They did say my front end was a little out of alignment and wanted to schedule front alignment at later date. Alignment guy went home at lunch. Recall doesn't include front alignment.
I did check to be sure toe-links were replaced. They were.

Thanks again Peter
crrobbins

Thanks,
Local Ford dealer just performed recall. Surprisingly it only took them about 45 minutes, including realignment, to complete. They did say my front end was a little out of alignment and wanted to schedule front alignment at later date. Alignment guy went home at lunch. Recall doesn't include front alignment.
I did check to be sure toe-links were replaced. They were.

Thanks again Peter
crrobbins
Did search on e-bay. Found several listings for "used" toe-links. The new toe-links that Ford installed are heavier looking than those on e-bay. Don't know why anyone would buy used suspension parts.

crrobbins

So what do the old and new toe links look like? Why did they not cover 2018-2019? I don't see any forged suspension parts on the rear of my 2018?

........ Why did they not cover 2018-2019? ................
I can only guess that the 2018-2019 Explorers had the proper toe links installed at the factory after the recalls on the previous ones.

Peter

I can only guess that the 2018-2019 Explorers had the proper toe links installed at the factory after the recalls on the previous ones.

Peter

Didn't they just announce the recall? My 2018 was assembled October 31, 2017, almost 2 years before the recall was announced.

They may be working from older vehicles to newer ones.

While my 2016 is on the list I haven't received the letter about the recall yet.

Didn't they just announce the recall? My 2018 was assembled October 31, 2017, almost 2 years before the recall was announced.
There was a recall notice dated April 25, 2016 on a limited number of Explorers (see link in post #3). There was also one for Canadian Explorers is 3 Western provinces. I believe the latest one combines and extended the models years. As previously mentioned, I was only made aware of the latest recall by my dealer when I went for routine maintenance.

Peter

Went to the dealer today and was told my wife’s 17 Limited isn’t in the recall. Must be related as to when it was built

Went to the dealer today and was told my wife’s 17 Limited isn’t in the recall. Must be related as to when it was built
Mine is a '17, built early August '16, and is in the recall. When was yours built?

I think early 2017. We bought end of April

Mine is a '17, built early August '16, and is in the recall. When was yours built?
I looked up the recall and it says 2010 through 2017 Explorers, but the build date is Jan 25 and earlier. Mine was built in March so no recall for me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got a toe link recall for my 2017. Maybe yours is included.

Back