Help is needed for airbag code 24 on a 1996 V6 4.0L E-4WD Aerostar and on a sliding door issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help is needed for airbag code 24 on a 1996 V6 4.0L E-4WD Aerostar and on a sliding door issue.

ERIC ROTH

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Aerostar 4wd
I just bought a used 1996 aerostar with some problems and this forum has already helped me solve one of them. I love it! I have ordered shop manuals so hopefully I can figure out some stuff my self or help others. But for the time being the two manuals I have don't cover electrical - that is on the way.

But the manuals did help me fix my sliding door problem - door didn't appear to be pulled in tight at the top rear. Leaking like sieve and it rains a lot here in Fort Myers. So I adjusted the latch strike...I just scooted it a little closer to the car- needed a star bit and man was it torqued in tight,,at first I removed 1 and then 2 and then all 3 washers, but that didn't help. And I also managed to drop the nut that retains it down the door frame...had to remove the panel to get it out - so if you unscrew the strike - make sure you remove the panel and secure the bolt on the back part of the door strike.

Now onto my unsolved problem. Any help is appreciated. When I start up my car and after the system checks...the airbag light blinks 2 pauses and the blinks 4 times.

From internet research, I understand this is a System Disarm failure or internal diagnostic monitor fault. If I'm wrong please let me know.

First question - is my airbag working even with this error?

Second question - anybody have info on how to troubleshoot and fix this problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a used 1996 aerostar with some problems and this forum has already helped me solve one of them. I love it! I have ordered shop manuals so hopefully I can figure out some stuff my self or help others. But for the time being the two manuals I have don't cover electrical - that is on the way.

But the manuals did help me fix my sliding door problem - door didn't appear to be pulled in tight at the top rear. Leaking like sieve and it rains a lot here in Fort Myers. So I adjusted the latch strike...I just scooted it a little closer to the car- needed a star bit and man was it torqued in tight,,at first I removed 1 and then 2 and then all 3 washers, but that didn't help. And I also managed to drop the nut that retains it down the door frame...had to remove the panel to get it out - so if you unscrew the strike - make sure you remove the panel and secure the bolt on the back part of the door strike.

Now onto my unsolved problem. Any help is appreciated. When I start up my car and after the system checks...the airbag light blinks 2 pauses and the blinks 4 times.

From internet research, I understand this is a System Disarm failure or internal diagnostic monitor fault. If I'm wrong please let me know.

First question - is my airbag working even with this error?

Second question - anybody have info on how to troubleshoot and fix this problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Eric

I found this...helpful in explaining the system....https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0F5bNDorb_J6HQ1MWjCStj&cshid=1557800544609

I don't know of the differences between a 93 and 96 aerostar, here is a manual for a 93 that lists the airbag electrical troubleshooting procedures. Maybe it will help you.
1993 aerostar srs trouble code procedures | Resistor | Voltage
Josh P...thank you very much...exactlyvwhat Im looking for. I note this gives a diffetent fault for code 24 that I found some where else. I will do some research to see if 93 procedures apply to 96. Not trying to go to the well one too many times but.... You would happen to have something on airbag deactivation procedures.

Josh P...thank you very much...exactlyvwhat Im looking for. I note this gives a diffetent fault for code 24 that I found some where else. I will do some research to see if 93 procedures apply to 96. Not trying to go to the well one too many times but.... You would happen to have something on airbag deactivation procedures.
Same document, look at the bottom past code 53. Basically you disconnect the positive battery cable and wait a few minutes. An air bag simulator is a resistor that gets connected in place of the airbag for safety reasons. I'm not sure where you would purchase one.

A
Same document, look at the bottom past code 53. Basically you disconnect the positive battery cable and wait a few minutes. An air bag simulator is a resistor that gets connected in place of the airbag for safety reasons. I'm not sure where you would purchase one.

Awesome....thank you again....so i found an oem front crash sensor on ebay for $25. I also found the simulator for $5...not sure if the simulator is the right part but at that price...ill chance it...I will probably skip all diagnostics..disconnect battery and then replace sensor. Ill study some more to see if there are some flaws in my plan. I think disconnecting the airbag may be a super duper cautious failsafe. If you or anybody else has some thoughts on my plan of attack...im all ears.

My 91 aerostar does not have an airbag so I have not had any hands on experience with this. I'd like to know how you resolved the issue when the troubleshooting is complete.

My 91 aerostar does not have an airbag so I have not had any hands on experience with this. I'd like to know how you resolved the issue when the troubleshooting is complete.
Will do

Here is an update. At first i figured i would just change parts since i found the left cowl side air bag sensor part #14B005 for $20 delivered and the center air bag sensor part # 14B006 for $25 delivered. I also got the rotunda air bag simulator tool for $5.55 delivered. The proper part number is 105-00010 but I got 105-00011. I think the rotunda tool will work as long as rhe resistance across it is 2 ohms and it fits the airbag connector. For some reason I thought code 24 was related to the center sensor and the LH cowl sensor. Wrong...it relates to LH cowl sensor and airbag diagnostic monitor. So much for shortcuts that dont involve fully reading the manual. So i took the leads off the battery and replaced the center sensor. Reconnected the battery and light still flashed 24. So I studied the repair manual some more. I then followed pinpoint procedure 24-3. I know...I should just go in order but I dont have the rotunda tool yet. I tested resistance of pin 17 and 18. They were both 787 ohms. That tells me that the RH cowl sensor and center sensor are both good. Great I dont need to buy a RH cowl sensor and the center sensor I bought and installed is good. It was getting dark so I put everything back together and started the car..hurray airbag light didnt come on. So I started typing this but could not resist and went and started my car again. Ah shucks airbag light back on with code 24 again. Sucks. I cant find a way to test the LH cowl sensor but when it arrives tomorrow...ill just leave the old one in...unplug it...plug the new one in and see if the light goes away. If it does Ill swap rhem out. Now here is something crazy. The airbag diagnostic monitor part# 14B056 is all over the place on the internet in prices. The one in my car is full part # F5AF-14B056-AA. I know the F5 means made in 1995, A means Ford generic and F means general parts. 14B056 is the part number and AA is a version of the part. So from one guy on the internet..he was selling F7PZ-14B056-BA for $23 delivered or F5DF-14B056-AA for $160 delivered. They both appear to be the same part. So I got the $23 one. Im not very good at tracing short circuits. In the end hopefully I can just replace the LH Cowl sensor or diagnostic module and fix the problem. If that doesnt work..ill be selling some airbag parts on this forum or ebay. And ill wait for the rotunda air bag simulator tool and go step by step. I really hope i dont have to trace short or open circuits. And thats all for now.

Did you measure the voltage on pin 11?

Here is an update. At first i figured i would just change parts since i found the left cowl side air bag sensor part #14B005 for $20 delivered and the center air bag sensor part # 14B006 for $25 delivered. I also got the rotunda air bag simulator tool for $5.55 delivered. The proper part number is 105-00010 but I got 105-00011. I think the rotunda tool will work as long as rhe resistance across it is 2 ohms and it fits the airbag connector. For some reason I thought code 24 was related to the center sensor and the LH cowl sensor. Wrong...it relates to LH cowl sensor and airbag diagnostic monitor. So much for shortcuts that dont involve fully reading the manual. So i took the leads off the battery and replaced the center sensor. Reconnected the battery and light still flashed 24. So I studied the repair manual some more. I then followed pinpoint procedure 24-3. I know...I should just go in order but I dont have the rotunda tool yet. I tested resistance of pin 17 and 18. They were both 787 ohms. That tells me that the RH cowl sensor and center sensor are both good. Great I dont need to buy a RH cowl sensor and the center sensor I bought and installed is good. It was getting dark so I put everything back together and started the car..hurray airbag light didnt come on. So I started typing this but could not resist and went and started my car again. Ah shucks airbag light back on with code 24 again. Sucks. I cant find a way to test the LH cowl sensor but when it arrives tomorrow...ill just leave the old one in...unplug it...plug the new one in and see if the light goes away. If it does Ill swap rhem out. Now here is something crazy. The airbag diagnostic monitor part# 14B056 is all over the place on the internet in prices. The one in my car is full part # F5AF-14B056-AA. I know the F5 means made in 1995, A means Ford generic and F means general parts. 14B056 is the part number and AA is a version of the part. So from one guy on the internet..he was selling F7PZ-14B056-BA for $23 delivered or F5DF-14B056-AA for $160 delivered. They both appear to be the same part. So I got the $23 one. Im not very good at tracing short circuits. In the end hopefully I can just replace the LH Cowl sensor or diagnostic module and fix the problem. If that doesnt work..ill be selling some airbag parts on this forum or ebay. And ill wait for the rotunda air bag simulator tool and go step by step. I really hope i dont have to trace short or open circuits. And thats all for now.
Okay. So the rotunda airbag tool and LH cowl sensor arrived today. The rotunda tool did not fit my airbag connector but with some pliers and an exacto knife I trimmed it up so that it would fit. my ohm meter said resistance was 2.2 ohms...and manual says both 105-00010 and 105-00011 have two ohm resistance so i felt comfotable with using the wrong part. I went through pinpoint test 24. Did 24-1...moved on to 24-2. On 24-2 pin 11 was low...something like 1.7 volts. Pin 12 was really high...9.7 volts. So moved on to 24-4 and found a short circuit between circuit 614 and 623. Bummer...looks like I wasted $68 on two sensors and the diagnostic module. So that is where I stopped. If I get motivated ill redo this troubleshooting to confirm and then make my first attemp ever finding a short. It looks like the harness from the LH cowl sensor to the diagnostic module is pretty short. Im going to await the arrival of my electrical shop manual unless somebody can post the schematics and diagrams on finding/removing this harness. Im back to CO on the 23rd of May so my aerostar will sit until Im back in FL...could be a while..lol...this car maintenance stuff is not as fun as it was 10 or more years ago. At 53...crawling around the car kind of sucks...but Im pretty frugal so alas...that is my lot in life! On a side note...i forgot to hook up the LH cowl sensor...twice...lol..and both times code 21 flashed instead of code 24. Then i hooked it up and my old friend code 24 was back. Its looking like the diagnostic module is good. Hopefully I can recover some cost for these parts on ebay.

I don't have any diagrams where the wires are physically routed on the van. I'll post the diagrams from the 1994 Aerostar EVTM.
20190518_200944.jpg
20190518_200909.jpg
20190518_200841.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"If the connection between Circuits 614 (GY/O) and 623 (P/W) inside the safing sensor is broken, then the resistor on pin 12 is no longer in the diagnostic circuit explained above. Both resistors are needed to pull up the diagnostic voltage to the correct value. In this situation, the resistor on pin 11 is the only resistor inside the diagnostic monitor pulling up the voltage. Therefore, the voltage on pin 11 will be half of the normal expected voltage and the voltage on pin 12 will be approximately equal to the vehicle charging system voltage. The diagnostic monitor does not measure the voltage on pin 12, 50 the monitor bases its decision strictly on the voltage at pin 11. If the voltage at pin 11 is lower than it should be, the monitor will flash code 24."
Quoted from the diagnostic procedures, it sounds like what you are describing.

Back