• Register Today It's free!

Known timing chain issues?

egallus83

Reaction score
City, State
Chisholm, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Chevy Equinox
Hello! I currently have a 2011 Chevy Equinox. It broke down little over a year ago, timing chain went, along with pistons going everywhere... long story short, had to get the whole engine replaced. Finally was able to fix it and got it back around October last year. And what do you know, now it’s got the same thing wrong with it. I really don’t wanna put anymore money into it to fix, $3,000 is enough already lol.
Anyway, I’ve been looking at Explorers. Specifically 2014-2016 Explorer sport. I’ve heard that they also have timing chain issues. Just looking for advice on how often it actually occurs... experience with the engines... any other known problems?? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to see what kind of things to look out for, check this thread; Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection & Used Ex. Check List
I just did a 'Search' on possible timing chain issues and found one member who had a stretched chain and another that had an actual failure that was due to a link falling out due to improper crimping. I don't see where the timing chain is a concern based on this. There were some posts about "rattles" but none that comfirmed it was because of the 'chain'. A few members had the timing chain replaced as a preemptive job when they had the water pump failure causing the engine to be replaced.

Peter

Hello! I currently have a 2011 Chevy Equinox. It broke down little over a year ago, timing chain went, along with pistons going everywhere... long story short, had to get the whole engine replaced. Finally was able to fix it and got it back around October last year. And what do you know, now it’s got the same thing wrong with it. I really don’t wanna put anymore money into it to fix, $3,000 is enough already lol.
Anyway, I’ve been looking at Explorers. Specifically 2014-2016 Explorer sport. I’ve heard that they also have timing chain issues. Just looking for advice on how often it actually occurs... experience with the engines... any other known problems?? Thanks!

I have yet to see someone that has had a timing chain break. I have seen a couple people that have said their chain has stretched but we are talking less then a handfull.

I have yet to see someone that has had a timing chain break. I have seen a couple people that have said their chain has stretched but we are talking less then a handfull.

Ok that’s good to know

I can advise several things:

1. The fewest miles the better
2. Buy one that has a service record, routine oil changes are a must, you don´t want a truck that was forgotten to change the oil. Open the oil cap a use a flash light or cellphone, you want that cap and the internals clean, if you see any black deposits, walk away!
3. Have it checked by a trusted mechanic.
4. You want to have your mechanic crank that engine first thing in the day, after the engine sat overnight. That´s were timing chains usually are noisy.
5. A good drive with engine warmed up, try a/c on windows up, a/c off windows down good rev of the engine. Always, always turn off the radio. You can test audio at another time. Always suspect when a sales man cranks up the volume.

I can advise several things:

1. The fewest miles the better
2. Buy one that has a service record, routine oil changes are a must, you don´t want a truck that was forgotten to change the oil. Open the oil cap a use a flash light or cellphone, you want that cap and the internals clean, if you see any black deposits, walk away!
3. Have it checked by a trusted mechanic.
4. You want to have your mechanic crank that engine first thing in the day, after the engine sat overnight. That´s were timing chains usually are noisy.
5. A good drive with engine warmed up, try a/c on windows up, a/c off windows down good rev of the engine. Always, always turn off the radio. You can test audio at another time. Always suspect when a sales man cranks up the volume.

Good idea!!! I’ve found one 2014 Explorer Sport with 50k miles on it, i really like the sport models!
I wish the 2016 had the same style rims as the 2014-2015 sports lol

Good idea!!! I’ve found one 2014 Explorer Sport with 50k miles on it, i really like the sport models!
I wish the 2016 had the same style rims as the 2014-2015 sports lol

Also I do have a trusted mechanic who has done the motor swap with my Equinox and is now gonna look at it again and see what’s going on with the timing chain and any other problems. I really don’t even wanna fix it but can you trade in a car with problems???? Also can you take a car your interested in buying to a mechanic to check out before you buy it???

People trade in cars with issues all the time. If someone doesn’t want you to get a car checked out by a mechanic, they already know something is wrong with it.

Back