Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 39 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 153 87.4%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.6%

• Total voters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

39 pages....I am not going to read that much. How many people on this forum have had this failure?

I am not going to read through 39 pages to count.

39 pages....I am not going to read that much. How many people on this forum have had this failure?
The only way to find out is to go through all the pages and count the actual failures and not the relies/followups. What we don't need is every one that had a failure replying with more posts.

Peter

Enough to generate a 39 page thread.

If you don't want to count, write a script that does.

Suffice to say though, this isn't an isolated couple of cases. However, it's not quite as bad as what happened to owners of a early 2010s Flex, they caught the brunt of this sort of ****.

The diagnosis on the noise on my 15 is a stretched timing chain and worn guides. To replace chain, guides and water pump $1650. 2 PTU seals and additional $210. for a total out of shop of $1860.. at 63k miles.

The diagnosis on the noise on my 15 is a stretched timing chain and worn guides. To replace chain, guides and water pump $1650. 2 PTU seals and additional $210. for a total out of shop of $1860.. at 63k miles.

I would be escalating this to Ford for compensation towards the repair.

I don't understand how you can have a stretched chain with that many miles and no one else have that problem. Something seems odd there

I have reached out to Ford for consideration for assistance on the repair as I think this is premature and for a chain I would not think it should be the case at only 63k miles. I have unfortunately read a number of situations where seems this maybe a problem as it appears they now have a new chain in use. Ill let you know.

I'm still stuck on this mainly because I don't understand the engine design. I looked at the parts diagram and the water pump has 2 gaskets. I'm wondering if one of the gaskets failed rather then the water pump. One would think the water pump pumps antifreeze through tubes/pipes. I can't understand how a failed pump would divert antifreeze anywhere else but the pipes/tubes that it is connected to already.

Water pump is a $85 part.. I can't understand how that can take out a whole engine.....

Part # 9 - water pump
Part #10 & 11 - gaskets

6e9530b4d149ade7875fc282a5f4c9b7.png

As others stated, a blown head gasket, absolutely.. Coolant can get in that way and hydrolock the motor. (repeating myself, I know) but A water pump is connected to hoses.. those hoses circulate the coolant. If a pump fails, it should either leak or the impeller gets destroyed internally.. neither send cooling inside the motor.

I'm in the middle of this with my 2016 Explorer Sport, 38k miles. My dashboard said my engine was reaching high temperatures, I pulled over and it was gushing orange antifreeze from the front of my car. I'm not so auto - inclined like most of you on the board, but I feel like I know a little.... Still under the extended warranty I had it towed to the Ford Dealer Monday night. They couldn't even look at it on Tuesday. Today she said "we did a quick diagnostic on it and it's extremely low on coolant". Said they're concerned it could be the water pump, and for my model, the water pump is inside the engine, and they have to check to see if there is engine damage.

Now it's Weds night, they paid for a rental, and they still haven't looked at my car. My thing is, why is the water pump inside the engine? I'd worry for a car outside of warranty having to replace a motor if the water pump went again? Am I thinking this incorrectly?

I was warned if it's a hose, hoses aren't covered. OK, but if it's inside the engine, would there be hoses?

I'm just not understanding how this Explorer engine is designed.

I'm in the middle of this with my 2016 Explorer Sport, 38k miles. My dashboard said my engine was reaching high temperatures, I pulled over and it was gushing orange antifreeze from the front of my car. I'm not so auto - inclined like most of you on the board, but I feel like I know a little.... Still under the extended warranty I had it towed to the Ford Dealer Monday night. They couldn't even look at it on Tuesday. Today she said "we did a quick diagnostic on it and it's extremely low on coolant". Said they're concerned it could be the water pump, and for my model, the water pump is inside the engine, and they have to check to see if there is engine damage.

Now it's Weds night, they paid for a rental, and they still haven't looked at my car. My thing is, why is the water pump inside the engine? I'd worry for a car outside of warranty having to replace a motor if the water pump went again? Am I thinking this incorrectly?

I was warned if it's a hose, hoses aren't covered. OK, but if it's inside the engine, would there be hoses?

Here's a video that might help -

This generation of Explorers are all front wheel drive. Which means to cram the 3.5 (and 3.7) into the engine bay, Ford mounted it transversely. Not a lot of space left for the water pump, which is usually external, so it's internal and driving by... serpentine belts? or timing chains, can't remember. Either way, if it fails, it can dump coolant into the engine, seizing it and required a replacement.

If your coolant has leaked but wasn't dumped into your engine, consider yourself fortunate.

Edit: clarified consequences of water pump failure.

Here's a video that might help -

This generation of Explorers are all front wheel drive. Which means to cram the 3.5 (and 3.7) into the engine bay, Ford mounted it transversely. Not a lot of space left for the water pump, which is usually external, so it's internal and driving by... serpentine belts? or timing chains, can't remember. Either way, if it fails, it'll dump coolant into the engine, seizing it and required a replacement.

If your coolant has leaked but wasn't dumped into your engine, consider yourself fortunate.

Thanks for this! Fingers crossed that's it!

I believe hoses should be covered if it pertains to the operation of the engine itself as you have a powertrain warranty. There are no hoses inside. If it was pouring coolant, I would doubt it is the pump as there is just a tiny weep hole to let coolant out and that usually is a slow drip.

Based on the small description you posted, sounds like it could be a cracked hose or a clamp that let go. But this is a pure guess based off little info so take that for what it is.

This generation of Explorers are all front wheel drive. Which means to cram the 3.5 (and 3.7) into the engine bay, Ford mounted it transversely. Not a lot of space left for the water pump, which is usually external, so it's internal and driving by... serpentine belts? or timing chains, can't remember. Either way, if it fails, it'll dump coolant into the engine, seizing it and required a replacement.

This is not necessarily true. There have been many members where it failed and was leaking out the weep hole as it is supposed to. It doesn't mean it will leak internally if the pump fails. Dont know the % of each side of failure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe hoses should be covered if it pertains to the operation of the engine itself as you ha e a powertrain warranty. There are no hoses inside. If it was pouring coolant, I would doubt it is the pump as there is just a tiny sweep hole to let coolant put and that usually is a slow drip.

Based on the small description you posted, sounds like it could be a cracked hose or a clamp that let go. But this is a pure guess based off little info so take that for what it is.

Thanks for this! I'll post when I hear the diagnosis from the dealer.

Back