• Register Today It's free!

2000 transmission

Taube

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer awd
Hey all. I have a 1996 ford explorer awd With the 5.0. I bought a 2000 and wanted to use the transmission and transfer case. I noticed the transfer case has no vss and the plug for the transmission is different. Is there still a way to at least use the transmission or .....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok awsome. How ??? Please more Details.

you will need to find both 96 and 2000 wire pin out diagrams. then all you do is match the 2000 connector pins to the 96 pins

You will want to keep the 96 t case with the vss, OR you can split both t cases and use the 2000 case with the 96 back half as long as you keep the vss

Here is the 4r70w wiring changes:
basically in 98 the 4r70w internal solenoids changed, the way it works is 96-97 have 3 power wires entering the trans case to power the solenoids, in 98-01 they reduced it down to one power wire.

You should make the changes while the transmission is out, it is muh easier this way HOWEVER I have done the wiring moves through the floor access panel before with the transmission in place. (Sometimes we will upgrade the older 96-97 4r70w to the 98-01 style solenoid pack in the truck)

Let us know if you have any questions!

171_041025_020000000.png

You will want to keep the 96 t case with the vss, OR you can split both t cases and use the 2000 case with the 96 back half as long as you keep the vss

Here is the 4r70w wiring changes:
basically in 98 the 4r70w internal solenoids changed, the way it works is 96-97 have 3 power wires entering the trans case to power the solenoids, in 98-01 they reduced it down to one power wire.

You should make the changes while the transmission is out, it is muh easier this way HOWEVER I have done the wiring moves through the floor access panel before with the transmission in place. (Sometimes we will upgrade the older 96-97 4r70w to the 98-01 style solenoid pack in the truck)

Let us know if you have any questions!

171_041025_020000000.png

Omg thanks so much ! I thought I was screwed. I was going to sell the transmission. Thanks again so much.

So I just switch the pins around ?

So like pin one on my 96 Now goes to pin 7 on the new transmission? And so on ?

yes

Switch pins around
You will be left with two power wires that go nowhere (cut them off short and wrap them up)

Pin 1 becomes Pin 7
Pin 2 becomes Pin 4
3 stays put
4 not used
5 stays put
pin 6 becomes pin 8
pin 7 not used
pin 8 not used
pin 9 becomes pin 2
pin 10 becomes pin 6

Easy! You can do this!

the 98-01 style solenoids are way better, Ford went from soft wires inside the trans to a plastic wiring retainer that holds everything together better.

one more important thing is you will need to KEEP YOUR 96 DTRS
the digital transmission range sensor on the side of the trans, in 96-97 they are analog (talks to the computer)
In 98-02 they are digital
So make sure you swap that over also, no additional wiring is needed there

Pin 1 becomes Pin 7
Pin 2 becomes Pin 4
3 stays put
4 not used
5 stays put
pin 6 becomes pin 8
pin 7 not used
pin 8 not used
pin 9 becomes pin 2
pin 10 becomes pin 6

Easy! You can do this!

the 98-01 style solenoids are way better, Ford went from soft wires inside the trans to a plastic wiring retainer that holds everything together better.

one more important thing is you will need to KEEP YOUR 96 DTRS
the digital transmission range sensor on the side of the trans, in 96-97 they are analog (talks to the computer)
In 98-02 they are digital
So make sure you swap that over also, no additional wiring is needed there

Wow thanks so much how did you learn all this great info. You the man !!!

TRIAL AND ERROR!!

By building these trucks for the last 20+ years and taking apart over 50 Gen II explorers and recycling them..........

My specialty is drive train conversions and the wiring it takes to make them seamless
I have had no less then 7 different transmission setups in my 1988 Bronco II

Plus EXPLORERFORUM is the best owners forum on the internet, seriously it is one of the biggest and the most knowledgeable

In ADDITION to Pinout change I think u MUST use the OLD TCC fm old Tranny in ur new Tranny or u can damage ur old style EEC ~! - Best 4r70w info on TCCOA.com IMO - & Checkout sonnax.com too for Tranny parts.

Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid - Its plugged into Wiring Harness inside Tranny & on the bottom of Main Valve Body next to Shift Solenoids - Ohms differ fm old TCC to newer one & ur 96 EEC setup for old one - TCC & Shift Solenoid Wiring Connectors differ too fm old Wired setup to newer Hard wired setup so just swap ur old Shift Solenoids & Wiring Harness & TCC & Main Connector fm old Tranny to new one & no need to re-pin Main Connector - Better yet pick up new quality Solenoids & 96 year TCC & a new MLPS too while u have it out - Personally I'd be looking for a good rebuilt Torque Converter too AND I'd be deleting Tranny Cooler in Radiator & fitting a second Air to Tranny Fluid Cooler next to old one (easy & many Threads on that but u need Thermal Bypass Valve being u are in Canada) - Pretty much the rest of an original un-upgraded 96 4r70w is a boat anchor as it needs LOTS of upgraded Hard Parts fm Sonnax.com to truly be any good... 2000 4r70w is a great Tranny w/ MUCH better stock Hard Parts & Main VB ~! .

Wow seems like a big job...

Wow seems like a big job...

Its one u don't wanna do TWICE (or more) ~! - But an unupgraded 96 4r70w is pretty much junk so their is a reward - How many miles on the 2000 4r70w____?

I am skeptical about the tcc solenoid, something fishy here.

I have a 97 PCM running a 2001 4r70w and no issues and I have setup a few trucks like this
I do V8 conversions and we build our own transmissions, we have built several 4r70w. I say "we" because my good friend Brett is my trans builder, he builds custom transmissions and knows all the latest upgrades

We often upgrade the old 96 -97 4r70w using the 98+ solenoids and wiring
I am going to check with my trans builder (Brett) and see what he thinks, although he is the one who suggested these upgrades!!
Brett is a master 4r70w builder (along with any other auto trans)

It is not a big job to replace the solenoids and wiring pack, they are right under the pan

Water/air coolers are way more efficient then air/air coolers I would never get rid of the internal radiator trans cooler, I have a trans temp gauge that says it works (pan temps in my trans never sees over 205 degrees and I run 35" tires, dual lockers, and have a V8 with ac stuffed into a 88 Bronco II)

The 98+ 4r70w is an awesome transmission, but that does not mean the old 92-97 versions were crap, they are WAY better then any 4r55e or 5r55e that the v6's had and a big upgrade from the previous AOD

Thanks Buxter for the advice I am going to research the tcc solenoid changes.
Worst case is swap the 2000 TCC for the 96 version

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

- Older 4r70w's definitely better than 4r55e or 5r55e or AOD but that AINT saying much~!

- We'll just differ on Radiator Tranny Coolers.

- & this Thread needs to go to the Mod Forum.

- & Actually I was WRONG his 96 EEC wants to see the newer TCC per below - Only our 95's need the old TCC to save their EEC.

- Lemme save u some time Moderator via the Guru's at TCCOA.com - They have more 4r7ow's than we do (BUT we have more Transfer Cases for SURE) :

TCC (Torque Converter Solenoid)
In this article on the 4r70w tranny: https://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-...w_rebuild.html
The writer says there are two different TCC solenoids. In talking to a mechanic, they said it makes no difference.

"TCC (Torque Converter Solenoid) - 2 different ones!
1 to 3 ohms - F2VY-7G136-A (1992-1995) Note:This part # F2VY-7G136-A is still the current number.
10 to 16 ohms - F7AP-7G136-AA (1996-up valve body only)
(If your vehicle is pre 1996 then use the F2VY-7G136-A TCC solenoid.) If you are unsure check the TCC with an OHM meter. The 1-3 ohms solenoid should be about 1.3 ohms and the 10-16 ohm solenoid should be about 10.9 ohms. The 1-3 ohms TCC has a Black connector and the 10-16 ohms TCC has a WHITE connector." - It kills the EEC if you install the wrong TCC

Back